Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 12:59:05 PM EDT
An old friend from high school called me the other day and asked if I wanted to hang out sometime. I told her my best day to do was Tuesday (today) and asked what she wanted to do. She mentioned how she had heard I always go to the shooting range and wanted to come along.

I wasn't sure if she would want to do any shooting or not so I brought a small array of guns. My Taurus 94 22LR Revolver, AR-15, and SAR-1.

Well as soon as we arrived and I got everything out I went over the basic safety rules and found her a pair of hearing and eye protection. She wasn't sure if she wanted to shoot yet so I grabbed the SAR-1 for myself and let fly a 30-rounder. As I was shooting I heard her laughing the whole time. I asked what was up and she said she had never been around a gun firing much less shot one and that this was awesome!

So I loaded up the Taurus and taught her basic stance, grip, etc, and had her shoot it for starters. It was nice and soft as far as recoil but the trigger pull on it is so atrocious so had trouble cocking it for single action, much less trying to go for double-action.

After doing that she set down the revolver and pointed over to the AR and said "I want to shoot THAT!". So I went over basic rifle stance, had her load a 30-rounder in and shoot it off. I wish I had a camera to record the look of joy and pure fun she had on her face. She shot that one off and 2 more 30-rounders before I was all out of 223. I offered the SAR-1 to try but she didn't want to because of the recoil. Either way she had a blast and for having never shot a gun did pretty darn well.

Loved shooting the AR-15 she said and can't wait to go up to the range again!

Looks like we've got another addition to the EBR world!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Most folks, when introduced to the AR platform react in a postive manner. Recoil, as you know is not bad at all. The worst that could be said about the .223 is that it is loud for it size. Congrats on a good intro. (Did she ah, help you clean them?)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Good on ya!

AR15 is a fine start for a newbee.

Keep going over the safety aspects of shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top