Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 12:18:00 PM EDT
I went to a drivers house to move a tv for him. He is now around 87 but looks 65. I walked into his house and looked at some photos on the walls. He works for NASA also and I did not know that either. He works communicaton there. He had photos of all the APOLLO filghts and Spaceshuttle flights with awards he has been given for his work.....

Well on the wall was a small frame with some medals in it...............................WELL not just some medals............. First of all I did not know that he was in the Army in WWII. Second I did not know he was in the European theater, and the Pacific theater also. Along with his theater medals were.........a Bronze Star and a Silver Star..... My jaw almost hit the ground.He knew that I had been in the Marines and still never said a thing. He said when asked that he "just saved some guys life and they gave it to me" while everyong was shooting at me. All I could do was say WOW and shook his hand and said thank you for all you have done.You never know who has done what anymore in this world. Thought you would like to hear about that.

Slug-O

Here are the photos finally of George Fender my friend and hero

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool story. WWII vets are getting fewer and fewer by the day.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

by 1,500 a day.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask him if he has any German captured MGs lying around.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

by 1,500 a day.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I call .

Was he a Delta SEAL Ranger Sniper? Did he tell you that the reason the Germans used the AK47 at Waterloo was because it could shoot any ammo from .22LR to .50 BMG witout modification? Was he wearing fatigues and a black t-shirt? Did he tease you with incredible stories, only to stop short and say that the rest of the story was "super hush-hush?" Did he reek of Funyons and root beer? If you answered "no" to any of the preceeding questions, there's no WAY he can be a real war hero.

See, that's what separates the TRUE war heroes, like the fellow you know and my own ex-Father-in-Law, from the disgusting posers at the Jerky shows - they don't really talk about things like that. They don't hide it or deny it, but they certainly don't brag about it either.

Sounds like a really great guy who has given a lot to America throughout his distinguished life!

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

by 1,500 a day.

Dayuuum!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the thing about the real heroes: they never talk about it.  Someone who truly earned those decorations probably would rather "close the door" on what he had to do to earn them.  

Unlike someone we all know who made a point of trying every opportunity to get a medal with a relief bust of Washington on it (four, in fact) for his own purposes and possible later use to his advantage.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
All he said after that was"See you tomorrow at work and thanks for moving the Tv for me.I see him in an whole new light after today.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I found out recently that my 8th grade PE teacher was a WWII USAF ace pilot in the Pacific.  
He was credited with shooting down 6 Jap planes in 1943 and 1944 while flying a P-38.
I wish I had known earlier

Oh, I found out while attending his funeral

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
87 and still working? You guys need a better retirement plan.  All kidding aside when I worked as Nurse in the long term care setting it was always a pleasure to talk with gus who were veterans. They would usually tell me stories about the bad/good old days, most were more than willing to open up when they found out I am a reservist(haircut would always lead them to ask). One guy I remember in particular though was an ex-pow and winner of the silver star in Europe, I always took great pleasure in serving them but this guy stands out in particular, for all he did he was probably the one of the most humble people I ever met.
One thing that set all these men and women apart from todays society as that they thought of others before themselves and gave meaning to the word sacrifice, it will definitely be a great loss when they are  gone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry double posted
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Awsome!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I miss my grandpas stories
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Tomorrow I will bring a camera to work. You should see this guy. His name is George F. and he is 87 but looks maybe 65 and is as youthful as can be.

My family has owned and run an Limousine business for 29 years and George has been there for it all. He is retired but just cant do nothing so he drives for us.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
i'm constatnly amazed at the modesty of most soldiers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
That's pretty cool, Slug-O. You're gonna have to introduce me next time I'm at the shop.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#19]
My Grandpa was like that.  When pressed, he just told us "You could never know what it was like," and changed the subject to funny stories about the time he was in.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Tomorrow I will bring a camera to work. You should see this guy. His name is George F. and he is 87 but looks maybe 65 and is as youthful as can be.

My family has owned and run an Limousine business for 29 years and George has been there for it all. He is retired but just cant do nothing so he drives for us.

Well where's the pics?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#21]
George F. has not driven lately but I did talk to him and got his premision to post a photo of him. Man he is such a nice quiet guy. Maybe he would let me take a photo at his house with his medals..... that would be even better...

Slug-O
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Apparently my great-uncle was a hero in Vietnam and never said a thing about it to anyone. I only found out after he died, and I STILL don't know many details.

I know he was the only survivor when a Vietnamese girl threw a grenade into his jeep shortly before they were ambushed by a bunch of Viet Cong with AK-47's. Two of the three people in the jeep with him died immediately and the driver bled out on the way back to base. My great-uncle had to move him out of the seat so he could drive and kept his other hand clamped on the guy's wound to try to stop the bleeding, unsuccessfully.

Apparently his bad leg that kept getting injured or infected for most of his life was the result of grenade shrapnel from that incident.

And according to a newspaper clipping my grandmother showed me, he was also responsible for the capture of one of the few VC officers we ever got hold of.

All he ever told me about when he was in the army was that he peeled potatoes a lot and that he once delivered mail on base when the regular guy was sick.

I'm waiting for my turn to inherit his U.S. Army issue 1911 that he brought back with him.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#24]
"Real heros don't brag."--Ralph Peters
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Just found out a couple weeks ago a fellow I have been shooting with all summer (I see him every lunch hour it's not too hot) is a vietnam veteran with three tours, '65,'66, and then as an advisor in '72.  I assumed he was military by the tatoos on his forearms but he looked too old for Vietnam and too young for Korea or WW II...  Or so I thought.  Turns out he was career military.  Joined in '57 and left in '78 IIRC.

We got on this subject because we got talking (in a round about way) about the effectiveness of the 5.56.  (He thought he was very well armed with the 5.56 BTW.)  I would have never known.  His service didn't come up until it was pertinent to the conversation.  Even then when I asked him about Vietnam (after he demonstrated he didn't mind talking about it) he talked more about how he enjoyed the people and culture of Vietnam.  I never would have imagined he used such language as I heard him use when Jane Fonda was mentioned.  Great guy...

Kent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top