Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 10:50:10 AM EDT
Deputy Kills Man Carrying Leatherman

POSTED: 5:13 p.m. PDT August 1, 2005
UPDATED: 10:42 a.m. PDT August 2, 2005

Story by nbcsandiego.com

SAN DIEGO -- For the third time in five days, a San Diego Sheriff's deputy shot and killed a suspect in the North County of Vista.

The shooting took place Monday at about 4 p.m. in the 800 block of Newport Drive, according to sheriff's officials. Deputies spotted a 23-year-old man they believed to be a gang member who was a suspect in a recent car theft, officials said. The suspect ran and the deputies chased him on foot.

One of the deputies saw the suspect reach for what he believed was a gun, sheriff's Capt. Clay Reynard said. The deputy shot the suspect in the chest.

Deputies performed CPR on the wounded suspect at the scene of the shooting. No deputies were injured in the incident.

A witness described the shooting to NBC 7/39.

"I don't know why he was running around there," said Felix Simental. "I don't know if the cops scared him or what, but he was just running, and they just shot him. I didn't see a weapon."

The object the man was reaching for turned out to be a Leatherman-style multipurpose tool, Reynard said.

The shooting is the third officer-involved shooting in Vista in the span of a week. The first shooting took place Thursday just a block away from where the suspect was shot Monday. Deputies killed a second suspect Friday night. In all three cases, the suspects were young Hispanic men.

As a result of the shooting investigations, five deputies from the Vista Sheriff's substation have been taken off patrol duty.

Vista sounds quaint.  Banger was probably on probation and was trying to get rid of the leatherman which would be a violation of his probation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
He was going to use the leatherman to adjust the valve on his pump-up sneakers. Seriously, "leatherman tool" now joins "knife" and "cricket bat" on the list of items not to bring to a gunfight.

It's just chlorine in the gene pool.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
So if your'e told too freeze by the police, you should'nt reach in your pockets for a folding metal object?  Got it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yet another reason I wont own a Leathermen.
I dont want to get shot!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So if your'e told too freeze by the police, you should'nt reach in your pockets for a folding metal object?  Got it.

Yup.

Wait.....  I just need to use this 'multi-tool' to clean my ears while being held at gunpoint.  Yes sir, that there is smarts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The gene pool keeps getting cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of those multitools have a decent blade on 'em.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Vista sounds quaint.  Banger was probably on probation and was trying to get rid of the leatherman which would be a violation of his probation.

If "quaint" means an unstable mixture including Mexican gangs and KKK members, with near-violent evolution/creationism debates happening on the local school board, then Vista is the place for you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
One less scumbag on the streets. The liberals cant protect the criminals if they are dead.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
One less scumbag on the streets. So many more to go.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes they do, i cut my finger the first day I got mine

To be fair some of the larger leatherman tools could easily be mistaken for a stainless pocket pistol from a distance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

+2
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
the cop was obviously a republican. he knew leatherman supported the kerry campaign.
therefore...........
wait for it .........
it's bush's fault

How is that even relevant?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]
San Diego LEO's dont mess around, plus I have seen alot of them carry .45's which makes for many dead bad guys.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I love hearing stories about scumfucks getting killed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the cop was obviously a republican. he knew leatherman supported the kerry campaign.
therefore...........
wait for it .........
it's bush's fault

hook, line, and sinker
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Never bring a leatherman to a gun fight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Sounds pretty simple.  Hell I'm as quick to bash LEO's when the screw up as anyone, but that's fucking stupid.
Sounds like Darwin scores another point.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
therefore...........
wait for it .........
it's bush's fault

Time Leatherman stole my baby....

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=375625
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Some parts of Vista do qualify as quaint.  Generally those are the areas between the big bucks new development areas and the farmworker areas left over from 1920 or before.  Generally from 2 houses to a block wide.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
we should send three fruit baskets, or whatever CA people would appreciate, to the san diego county sherrifs office.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#23]
This answers my question as to why we keep flying to Vista to pick up GSW pts
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been held at gunpoint by an LEO, once. I didn't so much as scratch my nose.

Dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#26]
For the third time in five days, a San Diego Sheriff's deputy shot and killed a suspect in the North County of Vista.

So has the deputy killed the same suspect 3 times in 5 days, or has 1 Deputy killed 3 different suspects in 5 days....................... Why is a San Diego deputy even in the County of Vista?  

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yes they do, i cut my finger the first day I got mine

To be fair some of the larger leatherman tools could easily be mistaken for a stainless pocket pistol from a distance.

Off topic but here goes;

Every knife or multi tool I have ever owned has alway gotten a blood sacrifice from me. It's not that I'm a clutz but sheesh.

Back to the topic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
One less scumbag on the streets. The liberals cant protect the criminals if they are dead.

+1

HH
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Let's see...JBT shoots BG...BG dies and cop walks away safe.   That about it?

I'd say that is a pretty damn good day on the job!

Just one less societal turd for the rest of us to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I heard on the radio news here locally, the LEO/FEDS have declared war on "named" gangs.

All I have to say is IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#31]
just another reason i dont go to vista if i dont have to.  The cops here in Poway and north county just give 13 year olds tickets for riding scooters without helmets.  Its nice to hear they are cleaning up all the gang bangers though, maybe they will start working on mira mesa soon......
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Ladies and gentlemen, society's toilet has been flushed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
One less scumbag on the streets. So many more to go.

+ a big one...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#34]
There was an incident like this in Cincinatti Ohio a couple years back. An officer was chasing a teen that had warrants and saw the boy grabbing something on his pants. The officer thought the boy was reaching for a weapon so he shot and killed him. Riots came after that and now the police walk on eggshells and have to assure the public they were in the right on every shooting incident thereafter.

Sometimes I think they should just pack up and leave certain areas and let nature take its course
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
therefore...........
wait for it .........
it's bush's fault

He just isn't thinking clearly.  Don't hold it against him.
Obviously, it's Karl Rove's fault!

Put that in your bong and smoke it DU-boy!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#36]

WHAT DID BUSH KNOW AND WHEN DID HE KNOW IT ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Submit or die.  Better yet, just die!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I heard on the radio news here locally, the LEO/FEDS have declared war on "named" gangs.

IIRC it was a nation wide sweep of gang members. Alot of the Mexican gangs were targeted as well as the usual ones. Funny how they have grown in size in the mid-west.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I love hearing stories about scumfucks getting killed.

me toosies.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
For the third time in five days, a San Diego Sheriff's deputy shot and killed a suspect in the North County of Vista.

So has the deputy killed the same suspect 3 times in 5 days, or has 1 Deputy killed 3 different suspects in 5 days....................... Why is a San Diego deputy even in the County of Vista?  

Vista is a town in Northern San Diego County.

Brian
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:58:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC it was a nation wide sweep of gang members. Alot of the Mexican gangs were targeted as well as the usual ones. Funny how they have grown in size in the mid-west.

Yep - nationwide sweep.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:16:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

therefore...........

wait for it .........
it's bush's fault

i love this forum!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:25:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Not just the mid west.

Even in our sleepy little hamlet the ranks of MS-13 (a narco-terrorist organization with international reach) is growing steadily.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#45]
The shooting was justified.

Firstly, the suspect made furtive movements, in and of itself a justification to use lethal force. He could be pulling a banana out of his pants, but when faced with police officers who have drawn weapons, odds are he isn't going for a snack.

Secondly the Leatherman is a deadly weapon. The blades on a Leatherman WILL cut, and WILL punch through Kevlar. Even the pliars can be used effectively as a weapon to cause death or grave bodily injury.

Thirdly, while looking over the sights at a known bad guy suspected of armed robbery who reaches into his pants and pulls out a metallic object with a rectangular profile visible above his hand, I have to say that I would probably pull the trigger too.

The lesson here is that when the cops have drawn down on you, you need to be darn careful what you do, or they WILL shoot you. Give them a reason to think you are trying to hurt them, and they will logically assume that you are and will try to hurt you first.

What continually amazes me is how f*cktards continually pull stupid crap like this. Remember the genius who aimed his cell phone at the police? What brand of STUPID did HE drink that morning? Because it seems to me that after leading police on a high speed chase, being PITed, and now being surrounded by 5 guys who are very tense and who all have Glocks pointed at you, it would be the height of friggin stupidity to go pretending your cell phone was a gun.  

I do not understand criminals who pull that kind of crap. I really don't. It is as if they WANT to get shot, or they have some sort of mental handicap that seems to keep them from thinking that the man with a gun over there might actually pull the trigger on that gun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:35:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vista is a town in Northern San Diego County.

Brian

My comment was supposed to be pointing out how poorly written the sentence was, and how unclear it was.

It was also supposed to be humorous, I see I failed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top