Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:20:42 AM EDT
Has anyone besides me read the newest John Ringo novel, Die Wacht am Rhein(Watch on the Rhine)?  Holy crap, what a cool idea.  He's brought back the Waffen SS to fight for Germany in the darkest hour of the Posleen invasions and given them the baddest Panzers to do it in.  If you have no clue what I'm yammering about, just look up the name on Google and you should get some back story there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#1]
So its out already?

I saw it advertised on Amazon.com a few months back but it wasnt available yet.

I'm definately going to have to pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It's out.  I got it a few days ago.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#3]
yes I read it and thought it was a damn good read.

The ending and the flash forward after that were both outstanding

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked it up and read it this weekend. Its good. Doesn't go into the technology as much ( the afterword mentions this ). Better than Callies War. When is someone gonna option this series and bring it to the screen, already?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Just started it.....

I like how they captured the heart of the Green Party pretty well. As a frequent visitor of Germany, you can trust me on that.

Side bar....How is "Cally's War" Worth a read???
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I read the first few chapters on baen.com, waiting for delivery from amazon.com.

If you like Ringo's Posleen series, also try 'Freehold' and 'The Weapon' by Michael Z. Williamson. Great reads, and Mr. Williamson is definately one of the gun culture. He's also a hell of a nice guy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Side bar....How is "Cally's War" Worth a read???

It wasn't "bad", but because its set so far ahead of the rest of the series,I felt it has a certain disconnect from the other books. Same universe though, of course..........
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm still tripping over the Israeli SS unit, Judas Maccabeus.  I mean, holy crap, the Jews are fighting on the side of the Waffen-SS!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm still tripping over the Israeli SS unit, Judas Maccabeus.  I mean, holy crap, the Jews are fighting on the side of the Waffen-SS!!

I think it was said that given time (and a different outcome in the war), it may have happened. I don't think it was stated that it did.....

Of course, I'm only in the first half of the book.....so if that is indeed a spoiler, don't anyone tell me!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Just picked it up at the library yesterday . . . will start it after I read Bolo! by Weber.

Haven't read Cally's War, but the first chapter (off Baen) really turned me off.  Having Cally go from young lady to jaded spy, with whorish attitudes . . . not interesting.  Sometime I will look it up and read it, but it is not a priority.

We Few, OTH, is a priority that I will have to buy . . . as soon as the cash situation clears up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#11]

I almost bought it the other day, but am holding off until I finish a couple of other books.  I just recently read 'Through the Looking Glass' by Ringo, which was excellent.

Looking forward to it.

Gust Front is probably my all time favorite military novel.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Haven't read Cally's War, but the first chapter (off Baen) really turned me off.  Having Cally go from young lady to jaded spy, with whorish attitudes . . . not interesting.

Ringo made it pretty clear in the first books that Cally was pretty sexually open even as a teen. I wouldn't expect her to turn into a nun as she got older. I am sort of disappointed that they had to jump so far into the future to tell her story. Kinda feels like reading the last chapter of a book to find out what happened.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Ringo and Flint are the only two authors that I'll spend the big $$$ for hardbacks.  They simply rock.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top