Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:02:10 AM EDT

Well, do you use one on a regular basis?  What's the coolest thing you've found?  I'm thinking about picking one up but I don't know what make/model I should get starting out.  I am expecting that I'll find mostly junk but maybe a few of you can convince me otherwise?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I have two Tesoros, I love 'em.  I have found a shield nickel, an indian head, and two mercury dimes in a day!  Also, lots of artifacts and more wheaties than is fair!  Found a 10mm 18k men's band my first day out.  Lots of silver rings, and a few more golds.  I love this stuff!

Edited to add:  With practice, and with the use of a sophisticated tone-ID or visual-ID machine you can really cut down the junk to finds ratio.  BUT-most rings come in around the nickel zone, and this is the 2nd zone to drop usually when using discrimination.  It's a tradeoff.  I've become a bit of a cherry picker with my Golden uMax myself, but I know I'm probably limiting my jewelry finds in favor of the sure thing.  I really should stop that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Where are the best places that you've gone?  I've heard that the following are good places (not necessarily in any order):

1)  Underneath bleachers
2)  Parks
3)  Playgrounds

The stuff that you've found so far sounds really cool.  What areas have given you the most return?  I'll take a look at the Tesoros(sp) too.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Tesoros are goon units, but check out Whites. The learning curve on the Whites is a little shorter than most of the others.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
oops!
Good, not "goon"
Sorry
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a White's. I am a novice but it's kinda fun so far. I have found some old coins and some cheesy jewelry at the beach. (It's more fun checkin out the babes than metal detecting anyway)  I'm not big into metal detecting it was ok when I had a few spare hours to burn which I don't seem to get anymore.
My buddy on the other hand, Has found civil war era bullets and uniform items. Old bottle caps and pull of tabs seem to be the norm for me. YMMV

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a White's. I am a novice but it's kinda fun so far. I have found some old coins and some cheesy jewelry at the beach. (It's more fun checkin out the babes than metal detecting anyway)  I'm not big into metal detecting it was ok when I had a few spare hours to burn which I don't seem to get anymore.
My buddy on the other hand, Has found civil war era bullets and uniform items. Old bottle caps and pull of tabs seem to be the norm for me. YMMV

Yeah, that's about all that I got when I was borrowing the in-law's metal detector.  Tried going to an old park and found a metal window lock (hinge type) but again, largely junk.  They worked as advertised but I must not have the discrimination thing worked out yet?  Where was it that your buddy found the civil war stuff?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's about all that I got when I was borrowing the in-law's metal detector.  Tried going to an old park and found a metal window lock (hinge type) but again, largely junk.  They worked as advertised but I must not have the discrimination thing worked out yet?  Where was it that your buddy found the civil war stuff?

I guess persistance is key. He found old bullets and buttons in Virginia with his bro in law.
Another key thing is do some research of the area you are in. Find out the old "Hot Spots" ..old bars, houses, schools etc.  I never got into it that much like i said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top