a Roosevelt 1947
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:18:25 AM EDT
[#1]
U lucky bastard.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
a Roosevelt 1947

How come Roosevelt got on a dime in 1947 but we still don't have a Reagan dime??????

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Mercury ones better.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I found a silver 1951 dated quarter in the cash register not too long ago and I was also given a 1997 silver quarter as change from a Mcdonald's of all places.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I found a silver 1951 dated quarter in the cash register not too long ago and I was also given a 1997 silver quarter as change from a Mcdonald's of all places.

Did they spit in your drink?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did they spit in your drink?

I hope not.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I've gotten a few buffalo nickles, but no silver dimes.

Too cool.

edited to add: I always check my change for those "little treasures." I sometimes get weird looks from the clerk as if I don't trust them to give exact change.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#8]
i buddy of mine workd at a video store 1 time.. he went to give some change to a coustomer and noticed it was silver dimes...  he put them in his pocket and gave him regular dimes from his..

he then looked in the drawer... ALL the dimes were silver.... along with 3 more rolls in the drawer..

he snagged all of them..

i have silver dimes and some nickels
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll give you 11 cents for it. Cash!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]
my old man got a buffalo nickel in his change at radio shack today.

It's always neat when you get old coins liek that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#11]

I know instantly when I've been handed a silver quarter, they sound so different.  I love silver quarters when they jingle in my pocket.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Over the years I've found seven dimes, four quarters, and one mercury dime! (which unfortunately is rather worn).

I also have found a $10 silver certificate in moderate-good condition and a 1919 penny in not-so-good condition (1919 is the year they began making wheaties).
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll give you 11 cents for it. Cash!

What a gyp.  That's 35 cents worth of silver!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#14]
showed it to a coworker, asked him to take a dime out of his pocket and tell me the difference.  Other than a different color he was clueless.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool. I lool at every one I get to try to find silver. I find about one a year at best. I did see one at the bank a while back and asked the teller "hey, how about letting me have that". His reply?? "NO WAY!! I looked a LONG time for that one!!

GR
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone's coin collection (or silver horde) got raided.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not.

When I was a teenager, I worked in a hardware store/hobby shop. A kid about 10-11, whose father I knew, came into the store one day to buy something at the hobby shop. He paid in silver dollars. I asked him if he was supposed to be spending that money, and he said it was OK. I took the coins, but kept them in a little envelope under the cash register tray. The next time his dad came in, I sold him the coins back for regular money. I hope the kid didn't get in too much trouble, but at least got a little lesson about intrinsic value.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

my coin book shows a 97 silver quarter being worth $16 if in proof condition
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I get old/neato coins in my tills at work all the time.  Why, just yesterday, someone came in and paid for a freaking burger with two 1964 silver kennedy halves.  Found a 41 buffalo recently, as well.  Silver on occasion.  Some people truly do not know what they are spending, do they?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
When I was a teenager, I worked in a hardware store/hobby shop. A kid about 10-11, whose father I knew, came into the store one day to buy something at the hobby shop. He paid in silver dollars. I asked him if he was supposed to be spending that money, and he said it was OK. I took the coins, but kept them in a little envelope under the cash register tray. The next time his dad came in, I sold him the coins back for regular money. I hope the kid didn't get in too much trouble, but at least got a little lesson about intrinsic value.

Good story.

I always look at my change, checking it for anything interesting.  Found a few wheat pennies, an early 40s silver nickel, a few other things...

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I found a 1943 steel penny in my change last week...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Over the years I've found seven dimes, four quarters, and one mercury dime! (which unfortunately is rather worn).

I also have found a $10 silver certificate in moderate-good condition and a 1919 penny in not-so-good condition (1919 is the year they began making wheaties).

No it was 1911
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I have found 2 or 3 silver dimes this year so far. That is pretty good than what I have done the past few years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did he mean 1897?
They did not make Silver Quarters in 1997.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did he mean 1897?

In silver proof sets they did, just got 2 2005 silver proof sets in the mail yesterday
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I get old/neato coins in my tills at work all the time.  Why, just yesterday, someone came in and paid for a freaking burger with two 1964 silver kennedy halves.  Found a 41 buffalo recently, as well.  Silver on occasion.  Some people truly do not know what they are spending, do they?

They didn't make buffalo nickles in 1941, i think the Jefferson nickles started in 1938
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it was 1911

My bad, I meant 1909.  That was the year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

When I worked in retail, it was not uncommon to find old silver coins in the coke machines. You could tell somebody raided someones old money bank, because there would be so many of them in one box.

Every now and then you would find silver certificates.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it was 1911

My bad, I meant 1909.  That was the year.

That is correct I was having a brain fade also.  I knew it was 1909.  I can not imagine why I said 1911.  I used to have 1,000's of wheat stalk pennies.  Somewhere over 40 rolls of them plus several of the cardboard books almost filled.

I was a freshaman in High school and had already been collecting coins since I was 10.  My Dad had bought me a Proof set and an Uncirculated set evey year for several years.  I had lots of Silver Dollars.  Lots of Mercury and Rosevelt Silver dimes.  Lots of Buffalo nickles.  Lots of Silver quarters.
A $5.00 "Gold Certificate".  Lots of $1.00 "Silver Certificates"  And about $500 cash.

I kept it all in a locked metal box on the floor of my bedroom.  I came home from school one day and it was gone.  I think my older brothers friend stole it to by drugs or alcohol.

I did not collect coins again for a long time.  Now for the past 10 or so years I have been compiling a nice collection again.  Mostly Silver, but a few Gold coins and some other old stuff.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
That is correct I was having a brain fade also.  I knew it was 1909.  I con not imagine why I said 1911.  

YOU CAN'T?  And you're an arfcommer?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't believe how many people can't see the difference between new and silver. Look:

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did he mean 1897?

In silver proof sets they did, just got 2 2005 silver proof sets in the mail yesterday

Aren't those silver sets in like some serious plastic casing? So someone cracked open a set to get a quarter for a coke?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a few hundred silver half dollars and some 1940s quarters my did didnt bother looking at what was in bags and he threw them all away last month, along with my Russian Makarov and all the mags that were in the box it was in.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They didn't make buffalo nickles in 1941, i think the Jefferson nickles started in 1938

You are correct sir!  I double checked the nickel, and it is a 1934.  You might be interested to know that I have found an undateable shield nickel, a very early ( I forget the date right now, and it's in a book I can't access) indian head and two mercury dimes in ONE DAY metal detecting.  Woo hoo!  Sorry about the buffalo mistake, thanks for the correction.  I also got a "P" designated "silver" nickel in change not long ago.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't believe how many people can't see the difference between new and silver. Look:
img221.imageshack.us/img221/8370/tales2bp.th.jpg</a>
img58.imageshack.us/img58/6843/heads7re.th.jpg</a>

Um, Which is shich?  Being a noob at this, how do you tell besides looking at tha date?

What should I look for when I raid my change drawer?

The one on the right is the silver dime. I think they were made up to 1964 so if all else fails you can look at that. They sound different, but I don't know how to explain it. It is one of those things that you have to hear to tell the difference. I would also say that the new one is 'slicker' than the silver. Also the silvers are lighter and duller than the new ones.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I have some old (1890's) indian head pennies my dad left behind when he skipped out. Figure I'll hang on to those for a while.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#38]
When i was a young'un i collected coins and got  the find of a lifetime. Some sucker gave me as change a 1909 Victor D Brenner wheat penny! Minted? SAN FRANSISCO! An uncirculated one goes for thousands of dollars! However mine was at best a 'good' condition specimen. probably worth about 250$. I still have it, unable to part with my found treasure. Second "treasure" i found was when i went into my basement i found my uncles 1950's baseball cards, i found a Kaufax rookie, mickey Mantle, etc etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aren't those silver sets in like some serious plastic casing? So someone cracked open a set to get a quarter for a coke?

Yep 2005 Silver Proof Set from US Mint

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img221.imageshack.us/img221/8370/tales2bp.th.jpg</a>
img58.imageshack.us/img58/6843/heads7re.th.jpg</a>

Um, Which is which?  Being a noob at this, how do you tell besides looking at tha date?

What should I look for when I raid my change drawer?

Easier to look at the edge of the coin, if all siver and no copper it's silver
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I had a few hundred silver half dollars and some 1940s quarters my did didnt bother looking at what was in bags and he threw them all away last month, along with my Russian Makarov and all the mags that were in the box it was in.

I would be pretty pissed.  Why the Hell is your brother throwing away things that don't belong to him in the first place?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be pretty pissed.  Why the Hell is your brother throwing away things that don't belong to him in the first place?

Not it was my dad, he throws away anything that he thinks I dont need, my box with all my stuff for my mail in rebates was in the trash the other day.

hopefully they will leave soon and i can try to have something again
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not it was my dad, he throws away anything that he thinks I dont need, my box with all my stuff for my mail in rebates was in the trash the other day.

hopefully they will leave soon and i can try to have something again

Keep using and saying how you need your guns.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Hah!  Found a 1963 silver quarter in my change pile last week.  Hate to think how many I have discarded since I just started checking for them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Found a whole 1" thick book of indian head pennies for 1$ at an estate sale.

I've got a silver dollar I was given for my Graduation I'll post a picture of whenever I get around to it to find it's value.

Isn't it easier to find out if a coin is silver or not by looking at the date? Pre-65 (I think) silver change is silver, easy enough?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I work at McDonalds and someone paid with a roll of silver dimes.  I bought them all.  1944-1964 are the dates.  I also have a silver dollar from 1924 that I got a Mcd along with some older bills.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#47]

I was at the Toronto Zoo a couple of weeks ago. One of the snack bar people gave me my change and it had that funny silver sound to it. I looked at it more closely and this was there. I didn't realize that Canada had silver coins just as we did.

On a side note: the Toronto Zoo is great, especially if you have little ones

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Found a whole 1" thick book of indian head pennies for 1$ at an estate sale.

I've got a silver dollar I was given for my Graduation I'll post a picture of whenever I get around to it to find it's value.

Isn't it easier to find out if a coin is silver or not by looking at the date? Pre-65 (I think) silver change is silver, easy enough?

Ben

If you mess with them long enough you can feel the difference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Take a close look at the detail work on Roosevelts head. Especially around the eyebrows, eyes and hair features.

If you ask me the old ones are way more detailed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
img221.imageshack.us/img221/8370/tales2bp.th.jpg
img58.imageshack.us/img58/6843/heads7re.th.jpg

another thing, you can tell a silver and a non silver dime apart by feel.  The non silver dime (nickle over a copper core) feels much more slick than a silver dime.  And weirdly enough, at room temperature, the non silver dime feels colder.  The silver dime conducts more heat away from your fingers and thus feels colder.  Try it!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top