Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2005 10:41:11 PM EDT
Can someone explain them to me and if you get them (or know someone who gets them) what triggers them??

My friend just told me that he gets them and his wife says "Its really bizarre... He sits straight up and has vivid conversations and visions"

There was some real scary stuff he told me... I asked if there was anything in his past that could be triggering it and he said "Nothing that he can remember"
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Closest thing I ever came to having one was earlier this year.

I was lying in bed trying to sleep, and I heard someone whisper very clearly to me "Death". I opened my eyes to see a kid sitting on my bed sitting next to me staring at me. I reached out toward him and he faded away slowly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I was lying in bed trying to sleep, and I heard someone whisper very clearly to me "Death". I opened my eyes to see a kid sitting on my bed sitting next to me staring at me. I reached out toward him and he faded away slowly.

HO-LY SHIT!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Just say no to drugs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My friend told me he actually saw someone hanging in his closet and woke up his wife... I have heard about this Phenomenon a few times... got me thinking and wondering.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Night terrors are classified as a sleeping disorder. Some type of mental disorder I would think. During certain stages of sleep wierd things happen to you.

I bet everyone here has been awaken by the feeling they are falling. Which is normal during the first stages of sleep. Wierd stuff.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh great.  Now I'm going to sleep well.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
A relative of mine had them. Sometimes they'd be about spiders or other things.

He once attacked a guy during one of them and chased the terrified guy around the barracks trying to kill him while that guy was screaming. He was given his very own room in the barracks after that event. The guy was so terrified that he crashed through some fire doors.

After/before(not sure which) he was done in the army he pissed in a corner during one of these events. But they eventually went away altogether.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
It seems that spiders always come out at night
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Night terrors are classified as a sleeping disorder. Some type of mental disorder I would think. During certain stages of sleep wierd things happen to you.

I bet everyone here has been awaken by the feeling they are falling. Which is normal during the first stages of sleep. Wierd stuff.

I've had a few of those. I've also had a recurring dream(spaced in 1-2 yr intervals) during my childhood where I would swaer I'd have a crushing sensation and it involved one of those huge oceanliners. Haven't had them in a long time.

I've also had dreams where I'd trip and it would kick my leg just as if I was really tripped in real life. The kick would be so violent that it would wake me. Annoying as hell.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]
This website will give you a lot of good info.

www.nightterrors.org/

I suffered from them as a child, as well as sleep walking.  We're talking about getting up out of bed, walking down stairs, walking across a relatively busy residential street and laying down in a neighbors yard to continue my nap type of sleep walking.

These days I still suffer from auditory sleep starts.  Nice little shot of adrenaline.  Usually a loud woosh or pop and my legs going rigid.  Sometimes it's a light but not usually.  Then I come out of it, realize what happened and go to bed.  Probably happens a twice a week.  Normally worse if I am not getting enough sleep (say 5 hours a night for a day or two).  Think it's just about always when I'm sleeping on my back, kindof similar to Sleep Paralysis (Hag Effect) that way.

People with psychological sleep disorders are usually best served to get plenty of good sleep.

EDIT: As for night terrors, everything I've read (and what my parents told me) is that there is really nothing a parent or SO can do.  Just hold the person and talk comfortingly to them and wait for them to come out of it.  You can't wake them up.  

Apparently I use to scream bloody murder, but nothing could be done for it but to wait for the spell to pass.  You don't remember Night Terrors, and frankly I'm glad for it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Only once in recent memory.

February or something. I was in the middle of a dream (nothing significant, since I didn't remember at all), when I heard this bloodcurdling scream that sounded much more real than the dream.

I went from a dead sleep to heart racing, grabbing my .45 from under the pillow, thumbing the safety offas the gun came up, and pointing it at the source of the sound, all in like less than a second.

Turns out it was a 18 wheeler laying on the horn as it blew past my window (I live in an apt which faces a freeway interchange).

Even in that panicked state though, I managed to keep trigger discipline. 0430. Nerves were shot for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I am pretty sure I have sleep apnea. Basically I think I stop breathing during deep sleep and have to wake up. Because my sleep quality is horrible. And I wake up a lot during the night. I really hate it.

I remember having good sleep one time in my life. I remember waking up way earlier than normal sitting straight up and stretching. Like they do in movies. I remember feeling better than I ever have before. Man I miss that.

I eat pretty good, exercise, take vitamins and drink tons of water. I don't even drink pop or caffiene (tea occassionally). Don't do drugs, drink maybe once a month tops. Still can't sleep for shit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Demon possession is a bad thing,
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I can only remember 2 times that really freaked me out.  One night I woke up and I swear I saw a guy sitting on my bed looking at me.  I looked again and he was gone.  Just a couple months ago I awoke when I thought I heard someone yell my name in anger.  I checked the whole house and there was no one home.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Not trying to start a religious debate or anything but I am pretty convinced that this is basically satanic oppression.  I never had any experiences like this, but then I became a christian, and would get these even before I fell asleep (i was still totally conscious).  However, you do not have to be a christian for satan to attack you, he hates all people simply because God loves all people.  That's just my .02, whether you want to believe it or not.  Still, at the very least its worth thinking about.  God might be trying to do something in your life right now, and the devil could be trying to interfere in some way.  At the very least its worth looking into.  If you ignore it and its just a psychological thing you lose nothing, but if its an indication of something deeper and you ignore it, the potential consequences are a lot greater.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#16]
MeestaSparkle-

I would agree that there is spiritual warfare in the world, but I'm never the first to jump and say that a demon is messing with me.  If anything I believe these sleep disorders are more a symptom of man being a fallen and nolonger perfect being.  

ie, we're fucked up in the head because of sin.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, thats totally legitimate.  I agree with you too, I just wanted to point out that possibility (with me I thought it was just because timing seemed too perfect, and this all happened before I even knew much about satan if anything so I couldn't say that I just created it out of my own fear, which definately can happen if someone plants a seed in your head); although upon rereading I see how I kind of implied that's what it was, rather than what it could be.  Thanks for the retort
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Worst I ever got was about a year ago. Got up and was heading to the bathroom, felt a cool breeze and thought one of the doors were open. So I turn around to head down the hall and in the glow of our night light I see the perfect shape of a man in black "cat burgler" garp raising a big knife over his head.

I lashed out as hard and fast as I could aiming for his throat, so hard my arm hurt like a SOB for the next three days from over extending it, and got nothing but air and the fuking "ghost" just flat poofed away. Just like having the funny lines in your eyes from not getting enough sleep, I blinked and he was gone.  

My folks didn't know about it till the next day when I told them and they said they hadn't heard anything, but that the dog had jumped into bed in the middle of the night. Guess I yelled pretty loud when I "hit" him.

Never had anything like that happen since, had shadows spook me more than once but nothing like the moving assailent I saw that night.

I always thought of it as a waking dream. Like the brain just wasn't ALL the way awake and some movie was still running in my mind.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#19]
OK, normally I find this whole line of thought to be BS, but I was made a believer in my late teens..

Woke out of a peaceful beer and boink induced sleep to find my brother (I'm a twin) sitting at the foot of my bed. No panic or creepiness, he was just 'there' and half smiling. After a few seconds the image faded and I wrote it off to over consumption of brews and lack of sleep.

Next day, I talk to him and it turns out he had been driving about 15 miles away from me and had apparently fallen asleep at the wheel. He awoke to his car idling in shoulder high grass and bushes, in the only spot on that stretch of road where fir trees didn't dominate the vegetation.

I am the first to blow off 'psychic phenomenon' and such, but this was truly odd. It's the only time anything has happened that I feel directly linked me to my bro... in the way most people assume twins are somehow 'connected'.  

Strange, but true.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Demon possession is a bad thing,

I have seen video of "Night Terror" subjects in the throes of their visions and THAT is some of the truly most terrifying stuff I have ever seen.  It will nearly make you weep with fear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#21]
tagged
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:34:37 AM EDT
[#22]
My daughter gets them , usually right after watching Monsters, Inc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to get what Ive heard is night terror , camping out in the mountians alone . But I dont sleep well anyway 3hrs max at any one time . I'd always be armed but it didnt help much . Really scarey like in that movie a few years back where the group of campers "videoing their trip" Lost in the woods...cant remember it was a big deal at the time . It's why I quit using a tent . I feel safer under the stars because I can rubberneck as soon as I "getem" . These damn tents take too long to crawl out of your bag  fool around in the dark trying to get the damn door unzipped I'd swear I'd heard friggin bigfoot walkin around , and there's nothing . Makes for some damn long nights !
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I think mine are stress related.

Started back up a couple of months ago.
I would wake up and feel a "presence" in
the room. More than once, I've jumped
out of bed, grabbed my M4gery, and been
standing in the corner with the rifle
shouldered.

I no longer keep my rifle close to my
bed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:12:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I have had them only once that I remember, a couple of years ago.  The dream involved a vision of Hell so vivid I woke up screaming.  What few details I remember don't mean much, but I do remember the fear I felt.  

Terrifying.

Ops
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HO-LY SHIT!!!

Yeah, it freaked the ever-loving shit out of me. At the time it was about 1AM when it happened.....took me a good 2+ hours to catch even a little sleep after that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I believe that some of the night terror things are not mental, but real.  About ten years ago (I was in my early teens), I could feel THINGS all around me so strongly I literally could almost see them, like shadowy, transparent images.  I do not think my eyes saw them.  There were at least several dozen.  I also "heard" (but, as before, I don't think it was with my ears)  some sort of spooky language being whispered.

No, I've never done drugs, no, I have no mental disorders, and no, I was not half asleep.  I wasn't even close to being asleep, and hadn't even been asleep yet.  Yes, I believe in God and demons.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Actually, no...

I've never woken up from one of the falling dreams.  

And thats weird because I'm afraid of falling?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, no...

It's not really falling as in falling off a cliff, more like you rolled off the bed and fell about a foot or two and you flinch really violently to try and "catch" or balance yourself. It is very strange.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I am pretty sure I have sleep apnea. Basically I think I stop breathing during deep sleep and have to wake up. Because my sleep quality is horrible. And I wake up a lot during the night. I really hate it.

I remember having good sleep one time in my life. I remember waking up way earlier than normal sitting straight up and stretching. Like they do in movies. I remember feeling better than I ever have before. Man I miss that.

I eat pretty good, exercise, take vitamins and drink tons of water. I don't even drink pop or caffiene (tea occassionally). Don't do drugs, drink maybe once a month tops. Still can't sleep for shit.

Go to your Doctor and have him prescribe a Sleep Study.  They can determine if you have Apnea and there are ways to deal with it.  Several of us on AR15.com have the condition.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Once, as a little kid, I dreamed that I was murdered.  I could feel the blade of the knife as it was pushed in and I died in my dream.  I remember my spirit leaving my body only to turn around and see my murdered body before waking up.

Hope to never experience a nightmare like that again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Not trying to start a religious debate or anything but I am pretty convinced that this is basically satanic oppression.  I never had any experiences like this, but then I became a christian, and would get these even before I fell asleep (i was still totally conscious).  However, you do not have to be a christian for satan to attack you, he hates all people simply because God loves all people.  That's just my .02, whether you want to believe it or not.  Still, at the very least its worth thinking about.  God might be trying to do something in your life right now, and the devil could be trying to interfere in some way.  At the very least its worth looking into.  If you ignore it and its just a psychological thing you lose nothing, but if its an indication of something deeper and you ignore it, the potential consequences are a lot greater.

Yes, that makes perfect sense - it is the boogy-man.

I experience this several years ago for about a year on and off. Most times I was in a semi-awake state and percieved some sort of immediate threat. One time, I picked up the night stand and swung it like a bat at the person who was threatening me (of course, no one was there). I destroyed the wall in the bed room.

After that, I went to the doctor. There are many causes, including massive stress, which I was experiencing at the time. The stress has been reduced, and I have not had an episode like that in a  long time.

(Yes - I know I am crazy)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Just once.  I was woken up by laughter outside my window.  Not happy laughter, maniacal laughter.
It took me awhile to go back to sleep.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I suffer from sleep paralysis. I am sure others here have experienced it. It can take on many forms as people interpret it differently.

For me it feels like I am being sucked down into my bed. Like I got real heavy all of a sudded. It feels like I am being pulled out of my body and it seems as if I cannot breath. It takes about 3 or 4 seconds of a struggle to break the effect.

If I sleep on my side it doesnt happen. If I manage to roll over onto my back it can happen while I am sleeping but the effects are different. I can open my eyes but I cannot see clearly and I guess my still sleeping mind projects an image over what my eyes take in. Once it looked like a bunch of lockers, as if I were in a locker room or something then if faded away after I strained to open my eyes wider and realized it was my bedroom and I woke up too early again.

Nothing really freacky when falling aslepp, just the feeling of dying and realizing my body went into paralysis before my brain told it to. Waking is a little odd but its explanation is comfortable with me as its nothing intense.

Anyone else have a sleep disorder?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been having some sleep problems for some time now and just recently some new stuff.  For quite a while, just at the point were I am about to go to sleep, I hear a real loud noise and it wakes me up completely. I can't describe the noise, like metallic or glass breaking or anything. All I know is it seems real loud and real close. I used to get up and search my apt. top to bottom, and never found anything. Now I am getting used to it and don't even get up or look around anymore. That's the part that has me worried more than the noise. I think someone might actually break in and I would hear it and just go back to sleep. I know the chances of that happening are very slim, but it still bothers me.

Just last week though, something different happened that really spooked me. I was sleeping lightly, kind of half awake and tossing. I was lying on my back when my arms felt like someone was holding them out in front of me. I remember straining and trying to use all my strength to move them but I couldn't. It felt as if there was a strong person holding each arm. I think it was a dream, cause I wasn't really looking around and I couldn't see a person or figure or anything holding my arms. I just remember waking up and the muscles in my arms felt like they had been clinched real tight for too long. This exact scenario happened at least twice in exactly the same way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I haven't had any really memorable night terrors like some of you have, more interesting/amusing things happen.  I find that I'm able to read and remember some things while dreaming, I've heard that some people can and some people can't.  I also dream in different languages.  Depending on which language it is and how well I know it, the dreams can be pretty detailed and realistic or really short and funny h.gif  Some times when I become aware that I'm dreaming I can act of my own free will, i.e do things I want to do, but 99% of the time I wake up very soon after I realize I'm dreaming.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#39]
A lot of people commenting on here aren't reading any of the info posted.

What people normally consider to be night terrors are NOTE something you wake up and remember.  You normally don't find out that you were doing anything other than sleeping until a parent/SO tells you about it.

We've so far commented on several distinctly differant sleep disorders-
Night Terrors
Sleep Paralysis
Sleep Starts
Nocturnal Seizures
OBEs  (could be argued to be a disorder or whatever you want)
Lucid Dreaming (not really a disorder, but qualifies in this discussion)
and just plain vivid nightmares/dreams (again, not a disorder...but qualifies)

They are all differant.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Feeling presences in the room has apparently happened to many of us. [thank God.--I ain't the only one!]
My daughter and I do it constantly.
She has heard the awful laughter, and seen things.
I have seen shadows when she says Mom look over there etc.,.. but no defined presence like she does.
I used to when I was small, but it has faded over the years.
My grandmother and mother can see and feel them too.
We just say a prayer and go to sleep.
Makes us feel better. And we realize that whatever it is, can not cross into the physical plain and hurt us.

The other night, someone continuously "poked" the bed. As if they were taking their finger and poking the bed next to our feet.[she was sick so she was sleeping with me] Looked down, couldn't see anyone. So I said in a firm tone..."NOT TONIGHT! I am tired and sick and need sleep! Get out!"
"it" Went away immediatly.

Ahhh, was nice to have a good night's sleep!

I think there are plenty of sleep disorders etc.,.. that need to be dealt with. I also know there are other things our minds will never understand of a spiritual nature. They are God's to deal with. So we ask Him to do so, and it always works.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Draw down on night terrors.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I suffer from sleep paralysis. I am sure others here have experienced it. It can take on many forms as people interpret it differently.

For me it feels like I am being sucked down into my bed. Like I got real heavy all of a sudded. It feels like I am being pulled out of my body and it seems as if I cannot breath. It takes about 3 or 4 seconds of a struggle to break the effect.

If I sleep on my side it doesnt happen. If I manage to roll over onto my back it can happen while I am sleeping but the effects are different. I can open my eyes but I cannot see clearly and I guess my still sleeping mind projects an image over what my eyes take in. Once it looked like a bunch of lockers, as if I were in a locker room or something then if faded away after I strained to open my eyes wider and realized it was my bedroom and I woke up too early again.

Nothing really freacky when falling aslepp, just the feeling of dying and realizing my body went into paralysis before my brain told it to. Waking is a little odd but its explanation is comfortable with me as its nothing intense.

Anyone else have a sleep disorder?

I've had that shit too or something like it. It's like this, I'm asleep then all of a sudden I get woken up by the inability to move. It's like I'm paralyzed or something holding me down. I also hear a weird sound when it's happening too, but I can't really describe it. It usually takes about 10 or seconds to "break free" from this. What really sucks is sometime right after "breaking free" I'll get it again. Usually I'll have to move my foot or leg a little until I fall back asleep to keep it from happening again.

I haven't gotten this in over a year luckily, but for a while years ago I was getting it about once every month or 2. I never told anybody about it because I couldn't really describe it, and I figured people would think I was full of shit anyway. It wasn't until I read someting about it a few years ago that I realized that it was a known sleep disorder.

I don't know why your thread was locked since I don't believe what we are talking about it the same thing a night terrors.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I used to get them. I was really stressed out at work, working 100-120 hours a week, trying to live on 3-5 hours of sleep.  Did that for for a couple years strait. Anyways, the night terror used to be that my body was paralyzed but I could see and move my eyes and hear. Well, the "monster" was always some sort of sterotypical demonoid or whatever that my mind generated up....he would always be on the corner of my eye, never in center view. He would make noises always out of view to scare the shit out of me till I would sweat and I would have to get scared enough that I had to physically move or wiggle a toe or finger to break out of the coma. It was really creapy because I left the TV on one night and had a terror, I managed to remember what the show was on and about what time it was during the terror. Later the next morning I went to the TV guide and found the show...i cant remember exactly what show it is now, but it proved to me that I was infact AWAKE and not dreaming during the paralysis...apparently my mind was superimposing the monster on top of what I was actually seeing with my own two eyes. Talk about scary.

This happend too many times, that I can count. I ended up having to change jobs and reduce my work load down to about half of that and get eight hours of sleep a night.  Also, a loaded .45 next to my bed makes me sleep alot better too.

edit to say: oh yea, the religious people will say that it is demonic possession...and other cultures will call it a "hag" or a witch. But I did alot of research on these things and they always indicate some type of stress is the cause or lack of sleep. Tell your friend that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, no...

It's not really falling as in falling off a cliff, more like you rolled off the bed and fell about a foot or two and you flinch really violently to try and "catch" or balance yourself. It is very strange.

I can vaguely remember having this sensation periodically. I normally sleep fairly well till my ferret wakes up 6:00 in the morning to get some water.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#45]
I have expienced the falling sensation atleast once or twice a year for awhile. I'm not scared about it but its just weird.

I have woken up once because I had this huge charliehorse on my right leg. Felt like someone stabbed me with a knife is hurt so bad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#46]
For the parents, as night terrors are usually a childhood ailment...

Night terrors (or sleep terrors) are episodes of screaming and agitation in the middle of the night, generally in toddlers and sometimes preschoolers. They are probably best understood as a variation of sleep walking. They are technically classified as one of the parasomnias, disorders of arousal including sleep walking, sleep talking, and perhaps enuresis.

Differentiating a night terror from a nightmare depends upon a couple of factors. First is the time of the attack. Night terrors, since they are disorders of arousal from the deepest sleep, occur typically in the first part of the night - certainly the first half and usually just a few hours after bedtime. A nightmare - a particularly vivid and scary dream - tends to occur towards the end of the night - in the early morning hours. When a child has a night terror, he can be aroused from it only with great difficulty, if at all. He may have his eyes open, but will "look right through you" as if not seeing you - and he does not. When a child has awakened screaming from a nightmare, he is indeed awake and will cling to you for comfort.

Like sleepwalking and sleeptalking (the more benign form of night activity that often persists into adulthood), it is a disorder of incomplete arousal from deep sleep. Most of the brain is shut down, but certain motor (muscle movement) circuits are active when they should be quiet. Thrashing around, walking up and down in the crib, and seemingly terrified crying out are the result.

The child is not dreaming - he is in deep sleep - stage 3 or 4. He will not remember the night terror in the morning, and parents really should not even mention that it goes on.

If your child has an isolated night terror, hold him close until it passes, then lay him back in his crib or bed. Do not try to awaken him fully, just lay him back down when he begins to quiet. Don't query him about it in the morning - again, your child does not remember a thing about the spell.

If night terrors become a more constant feature of nighttime sleep, it would be wise to take a somewhat different tack and simply observe from the doorway while the attack progresses and winds down. If your child's eyes are closed, or open without making eye contact, his brain is still partially in deep sleep and not only is it not necessary to awaken him, but if you do that too often you may wind up with habit waking in the night from the attention. Then you would have the worst of two worlds!

To prevent night terrors, awaken your child gently before you go to bed (assuming you go to bed several hours after your child does). Tuck him back in, tell him you love him, and go to bed. Often, this "jostling" of the sleep system in the brain will prevent him from having an attack that night. Another approach for the child who has them regularly at a certain time, is to gently awaken the child about 15 minutes before he or she usually has the attack, then tuck him or her back in as above. (The above is precisely what my parents, later in life, told me what they did. -Mauser)  If this doesn't work, and he has so many or so violent attacks that it is a problem for the family, talk to your doctor about possible medication. Diazepam, imipramine, and amitryptiline have been used successfully, but I have personally only used medication in this manner once in over twenty years of busy practice.

Night terrors seem to occur in cycles. They may happen every night or so for several weeks, then disappear for months at a time. Night terrors are more common in boys than in girls. They are also more common in children whose family members have a history of night terrors, sleep walking or sleep talking, or bedwetting. They are said to be outgrown by 8 years old in half the cases, but about a third of cases continue into adolescence.

Another point to consider is that night terrors are a disorder of awakening from deeper sleep. If your child is stressed and overtired from an extra-active day or from disruption of his normal nap routines by activities, he is more likely to have a spell that night. Pay attention to your child's activities during the day, and try as best you can to keep his routine normal and to see that he has his normal nap if he still takes one routinely.

The above refers the the common sort of night terror.  It does not deal with such disorders as Sleep Paralysis and Sleep Starts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I have expienced the falling sensation atleast once or twice a year for awhile. I'm not scared about it but its just weird.

I have woken up once because I had this huge charliehorse on my right leg. Felt like someone stabbed me with a knife is hurt so bad.

Everybody gets that every so often as far as I know. I hadn't had one in years till a few months ago. I got them a lot in High School. It's usually following strenuous work on your legs combined with a lack of required amount of water for hydration and lack of potassium.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Okay, I know, I know. But true is true.

A LOT of people have refrenced "stress" in many posts thus far. I would JUST like to point out that STRESS uses "up" large quantities of omega 3 fatty acids. So ANY time you are UNDER stress, and "things occur" (wierd sleep occurrences, strange physical sensations, etc...) at least CONSIDER the possibility of a deficiency. I suggest Nature's Bounty Brand Flax(seed) Oil, hey, it's a WHOLE 16 cents a day! It's worth TRYING, give it at LEAST 3 months. Won't be "fixed" overnight.

When younger I had similar experiences as others here have related. But the last 4 years I have been on omega 3's - and except for times when I was "testing" my theories (on OTHER physical ailments) and was OFF of the omega 3's, I've not experienced them since I started "dreaming" again. Had some ODD dreams, but no "night terrors", "Nightmares" or partial paralysis etc...

Also I'd also at least CONSIDER those who suggest it could be a nefarious source. I THINK unless either a Christan, considering Spirital matters, and/or a VERY good person who does a LOT of good, this is LESS likely. Still there is merit to the possibility. And Joyce made good suggestions as to how to let God intercede.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just say no to drugs.

And tequila...man....oh...MAN!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I've had that shit too or something like it. It's like this, I'm asleep then all of a sudden I get woken up by the inability to move. It's like I'm paralyzed or something holding me down. I also hear a weird sound when it's happening too, but I can't really describe it. It usually takes about 10 or seconds to "break free" from this. What really sucks is sometime right after "breaking free" I'll get it again. Usually I'll have to move my foot or leg a little until I fall back asleep to keep it from happening again.

I haven't gotten this in over a year luckily, but for a while years ago I was getting it about once every month or 2. I never told anybody about it because I couldn't really describe it, and I figured people would think I was full of shit anyway. It wasn't until I read someting about it a few years ago that I realized that it was a known sleep disorder.

I don't know why your thread was locked since I don't believe what we are talking about it the same thing a night terrors.

If it happens again try rolling over into another position. Thats the only thing that works for me becuase if I lay in the same position, it almost always happens again.

You are right, I should have left the other thread open because it is a separate topic. I brought it into this one becuase it seemed like folks were goind over sleep disorders in general.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top