Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 9:11:16 PM EDT
I just had to put a 15 year-old kid on a ventilator because he was too stinking drunk to keep from aspirating his own vomit.  

His dad (an Internist; Mom is a Dermatologist) had last seen him at about 9pm.  He went with his older brother and cousin to A BAR and was passed out drunk by 10:45.  EMS brought him in unresponsive and vomiting.

He is requiring minimal support from the ventilator, so I doubt he has chunks in his lungs.  The down side is, he won't remember any of this when he wakes up in the ICU in the morning.  A little more time, and he could have followed in the footsteps of John Bonham, Keith Moon, and Bon Scott.

Stupid kid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't understand the compulsion to drink to that amount of excess.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Man that is sad.  Its great he lived.  What's going to happen to the bar owner and his brother?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If he got some in there, yes.

The question then becomes how much.  Aspiration pneumonitis can be nasty.  

He is oxygenating well, and his lungs aren't stiff judging by his airway pressures, so he should do fine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Man that is sad.  Its great he lived.  What's going to happen to the bar owner and his brother?  Patty

EMS says SAPD was there, so who knows?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Heck, put some sodium bicarb down his ET tube.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Stupid just plain Stupid

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#9]
What bar was this at???  I'll remember not to go there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
What a dumb fuck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't afford to go to a bar and drink myself into that state.

Nor do I have the desire to get that drunk. I like to get buzzed and leave it at that. I like remembering what I have done.

Blah..just thinking about drinking makes me never want to drink again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
He lived?....well, that makes him only eligible for an Honorable Mention and disqualifies him for a full Darwin Award.  But I'm sure he'll probably try again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm glad he lived. Hopefully, with affluent parents he'll avoid litigation and jail time when he date rapes some poor girl, or mows down an 11 year old behind the wheel of the way-too-expensive birthday present car he just got handed to him.

Always look for the silver lining folks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:19:22 AM EDT
[#14]

I got sh!tfaced a number of times in college.  I could probably count on my hands how many times I was truely "three sheets to the wind", "sweating alcohol", "thinking Jagermeister sounded like a good idea" drunk.

Well, maybe hands and feet, but I'd have digits left over.

Anyway, that was enough.  Been there, done that, not sure why anyone was that interested in it in the first place.  Revisited my stupidity at age 27 at a bachelor party.  Remembered why I considered it "my stupidity".  Hopefully will not have to be reminded again.

Anyway, if there's any legitimate medical way to keep this kid on a vent, he should spend some sober time intubated so he at least has that recollection.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top