Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 7:35:54 PM EDT
I need to burn some DVD backups of shows recorded on my Dish Network PVR.  There are a lot of stand alone DVD burners which run $100-150 but these cheap models don't seem to have a hard disk.  Will they work for burning a bunch of my favorite episodes on one DVD?  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about one of these:

Sharp DVD Burner
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If a computer one will work you can get one from newegg.com for around $50...thats what i got mine for.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Having to record from the analog outputs has stopped me.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I need to burn some DVD backups of shows recorded on my Dish Network PVR.  There are a lot of stand alone DVD burners which run $100-150 but these cheap models don't seem to have a hard disk.  Will they work for burning a bunch of my favorite episodes on one DVD?  

GunLvr

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Learn from my mistake : Spring extra for a model with a hard drive, so you can edit, etc. before burning to the DVD.

I recently bought an inexpensive Panasonic unit without the hard drive and already regret it.  The ease of use and recording quality are great - but editing options are all but non-existent on anything exept a DVD-RAM (which, of course, cannot be formatted/finalized to work on other standard DVD players).

It is fine for transferring movies from the DVR (as long as you're there to start and stop it where you want - no truncating later ) and for making permanent discs of old/new home videos, but to get the most out of movies recorded on your DVR I strongly recommend one with a hard drive - it's just much more flexible IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the helpful replies.  I think I'll go with the cheap unit (wife doesn't want to spend much on this) but shortly I will be getting DirectTV and hopefully I can hack the DirectTivo to save shows on my computer and also edit shows before burning onto DVD.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top