Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What type of jet was that?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn! Ejected just in time.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy Fucking Shit!!! That was incredible!!

Anyone have more background on this?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

F-16
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Bird vs multimillion dollar aircraft.  

Both lose.  

I hope the crew was ok.  Other than that, one badass vid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

F-16

IMHO, it sounded like an instructor/student conversation.  IIRC, the military is using small single engine jets for advanced training.  It is the Goshawk or something...  I will check.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
T-45A Goshawk.  Used by USAF, USN, & USMCLink

Made by BAE.  A British A/C.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw/caused such a bird strike once. I was driving to my unit at MCAS Cherry Point one AM. flushed a flock of seagulls towards the runway when I drove past. Seagull was ingested by an A-6 and flamed out. He rev'ed the remaining engine and executed a hard right turn. Pilot and BN landed safely.

I got to my unit and told my NCOIC what I had seen/done. We called Flight Op's and a car came to get me. I spent the rest of the day doing paperwork about the incedent.

I am glad it wasnt a Harrier as the A-6 flew right over my head. Single engine Jets scare me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

F-16

it was not one of our jets, sounded british
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I got to my unit and told my NCOIC what I had seen/done. We called Flight Op's and a car came to get me. I spent the rest of the day doing paperwork about the incedent.

Did they take the cost of the engine out of your pay?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#12]
taggage
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did they take the cost of the engine out of your pay?

No I left the part about the backfiring when you let off the gas out of my statement. Cherry Point was FILTHY with seagulls.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#15]
If they ejected and the aircraft went down, where did the video come from?  Is it linked to an armored flight recorder?  I thought combat type aircraft did not have those.    Just trainers perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That bird did more air to air damage than the entire Iraqi airforce............

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
WOW. That student was so scared he barely was breathing. I vote Goshawk. Poor guys. At least they probably made it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I am pretty sure it's a CT-155 Hawk trainer. RCAF bird.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
WOW. That student was so scared he barely was breathing. I vote Goshawk. Poor guys. At least they probably made it.

I'm not so sure. I thought he was doing a pretty good job going through the emergency procedures. It sounded like the IP was not taking over the plane. I think they both did a fantastic job. The IP was very cool, though. I gotta wonder if it was his first "unscheduled departure" as well.

ETA: I just watched it again. When the SP is trying the restart, the IP says, "I'll fly the plane."
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
What was wild was that you could see the bird coming, not enough time to react, but still...that's one of those "OH SHOOT!" moments.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not so sure. I thought he was doing a pretty good job going through the emergency procedures. It sounded like the IP was not taking over the plane. I think they both did a fantastic job. The IP was very cool, though. I gotta wonder if it was his first "unscheduled departure" as well.

ETA: I just watched it again. When the SP is trying the restart, the IP says, "I'll fly the plane."

Im not saying that they didnt follow red box procedures perfectly. I am saying that the students breathing was so shallow and uneven at the end of the video when he knew the yellow handle was going to get yanked. He was scared. He has every right to be.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Im not saying that they didnt follow red box procedures perfectly. I am saying that the students breathing was so shallow and uneven. He was scared. He has every right to be.

Heh. Right before they punch out, the IP asks, "Are you ready to go?"

Without hesistation, the SP replies, "I'm ready!"
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

In 2 wars
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Im not saying that they didnt follow red box procedures perfectly. I am saying that the students breathing was so shallow and uneven. He was scared. He has every right to be.

Heh. Right before they punch out, the IP asks, "Are you ready to go?"

Without hesistation, the SP replies, "I'm ready!"

No shit. A single engine aircraft is already declaring an emergency even before it takes off
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
No shit. A single engine aircraft is already declaring an emergency even before it takes off

What is it you CFIs say? Take-offs are optional; landings are mandatory? Not in this case! These guys got to watch their plane "land" without them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#27]
The british GPWS is teh ghey.  "Gear nawt down"  "You spilled your tea"
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#28]
What does "T6 NL" mean?  Did I hear that right?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You heard it right. I think its the warning about the N1 blades not working or turning anymore.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You heard it right. I think its the warning about the N1 blades not working or turning anymore.

That's what I thought, like maybe it was a T6 engine and N1 was way low or something.  Do we know what aircraft it was?  I presume that most modern military fighters are turbofans nowadays?

Being a GA pilot, I cringed seeing that hard bank, not only because of how steep it was but I thought he was making the "turn of death" to try to make the airfield.  I was suprised to see that much residual energy in the aircraft.  I guess there's a bit of difference between a Piper Cherokee and a fighter jet.........
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I thought, like maybe it was a T6 engine and N1 was way low or something.  Do we know what aircraft it was?  I presume that most modern military fighters are turbofans nowadays?

Being a GA pilot, I cringed seeing that hard bank, not only because of how steep it was but I thought he was making the "turn of death" to try to make the airfield.  I was suprised to see that much residual energy in the aircraft.  I guess there's a bit of difference between a Piper Cherokee and a fighter jet.........

True. The SP was pretty good at taking that 270 kts of airspeed, and turning it into altitude. Gotta remember that these planes doent glide nearly as well as our piper's. I think its a T45 Goshawk, or variant.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Birds need to be banned!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Ernie from EHOWA.com had this video on a few days ago and recieved a response from a Canadian pilot who knew about it. The response is July 31st if you visit EHOWA. (site NSFW)
Here is a link to the incident report. Linky
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

F-16

IMHO, it sounded like an instructor/student conversation.  IIRC, the military is using small single engine jets for advanced training.  It is the Goshawk or something...  I will check.

I didn't have the sound turned up enough to hear the conversation, I was just going by video image of the pitot probe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#35]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#36]
tagged

TC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top