Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 5:59:09 PM EDT
My wife is a Kindergarten teacher.

Today was her first day with her new class.  I was in her classroom for about 30 minutes this afternoon watching her manage this classroom of 20-some 5-year olds.

As a 20 year veteran, I can say this:  

I was terrified.

I don't know how she does it.  It was a case of herding cats.  I've been in situations where guns were trained, locked & loaded, but it doesn't compare it to what I saw today.

Man!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
shock collars and lots of them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Herding dog.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
All she has to do is kill just one of them...after that the rest will do as she says.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Special koolaid will do the trick.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All she has to do is kill just one of them...after that the rest will do as she says.

SGat1r5

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I've herded cats for years...developers.

They're all 4 inside.

Ugh.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

SGat1r5

I'm not so sure.  If they try it, they better send more than one hitman.  I think if the kids group together, they could take on one by themselves.

She really ought to get combat pay.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a hard enough time handling my 4 and 5-year old daughters this past week. TWENTY of them? I'd go postal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You must set the rule that you are the Superior and you tell them what to do. This doesn't mean that it needs to be basic training, but you must set the rules and live by them. As the time goes on you can start toning down the rules and let them develope their own personalities.

Every teacher I have talked to has said this. Also everyone thinks that middle and high school are harder, they're not. It is in Kindergarten that set the base for life (in and out of school).

I am not a teacher, but I have worked in and out of education enough to know this.

Tell your wife thanks, they really do not get paid enough. (I would guess new teacher $25,000 - $28,000 w/ no advanced degree and older teacher $28,000-$32,000. Advanced degrees start at $35,000-$45,000 a year.)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
School on august first? It sure wasn't like that when I went to school! WTF is up with those idiots, extending the school year?

Every teacher I have talked to has said this. Also everyone thinks that middle and high school are harder, they're not. It is in Kindergarten that set the base for life (in and out of school).

Partly true. Parents effectively set the goals for their kids, ie, either they're proud of passing, or upset that they didn't get a perfect score. School is just the first real group/crowd environment for kids, where they must learn to behave 'around others'.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#11]
It takes a special person to work with kids .  It's definitely isn't for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You must set the rule that you are the Superior and you tell them what to do. This doesn't mean that it needs to be basic training, but you must set the rules and live by them. As the time goes on you can start toning down the rules and let them develope their own personalities.

I am not a teacher, but I have worked in and out of education enough to know this.

Tell your wife thanks, they really do not get paid enough. (I would guess new teacher $25,000 - $28,000 w/ no advanced degree and older teacher $28,000-$32,000. Advanced degrees start at $35,000-$45,000 a year.)

She's actually quite good at what she has does.

I've had a 60 man division of Sailors/Marines under my charge - but that was a walk in the park compared to a Kindergarten class.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
School on august first? It sure wasn't like that when I went to school! WTF is up with those idiots, extending the school year?

They're having to make up for lost time due to the recent hurricanes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I work with a group of 30, 5-6 year olds daily. The secret is to be calm, in control, and give clear instruction in short sentences.  

IMO, The little are much easier to handle then the 10-14 year olds.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're having to make up for lost time due to the recent hurricanes.

Ah, righto. I take that back. But still, I remember right before I got out of highschool a year or so ago, there was talk of a major extension of the school-year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I work with a group of 30 5-6 year olds daily. The secret is to be calm, in control, and give clear instruction in short sentences.  

So, no commas in your sentences?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Right. Like shankin' another con the first night in the stir.

I have one niece who teaches Kindergarten, another that teaches elementary Special Education. Neighbor on one side teaches 2nd grade, and neighbor across the back teaches 1st grade. They are all very terrific women. I don't know how they do it, frankly. It's all I can do to keep from throttling one of my 35-40 college students in one class, two days a week per semester.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I work with a group of 30 5-6 year olds daily. The secret is to be calm, in control, and give clear instruction in short sentences.  

and i will trade you, all day long, every single day--kids under the age of about 8 make me want to pull my hair out  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, no commas in your sentences?

I didn't say I was a teacher
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]

I substitute taught 1st grade one day.

I understand now why tall male elementary school teachers are known as "Human Jungle Gyms".  They swarm you, they won't let go, you are like Gulliver on Lilliput.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top