Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 5:55:38 PM EDT
Lamp went out. Had to order another one. $200. Easy to replace but $200 every two years? That's expensive. Case of Q3131A
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Lamp went out. Had to order another one. $200. Easy to replace but $200 every two years? That's expensive. Case of Q3131A

WHOAAAA!!!  Which model?  I was just about to buy this:

This is the one.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
43 inch. Samsung guy told me 2 years was normal to replace. HLN 43W
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah thats normal. You didn't know that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#4]
For my Sony VegaThe bulbs are supposed to last about 5000 hours - i think that is what i was told. You must have be watching the hell out of some High-def!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Toshiba 52" DLP that I bought last October.

I am also expecting a limited lifetime for the light engine - although I'm expecting to see about 3-4 years because I only use the LOW output setting.  The replacement cost for the Toshiba TALEN light engine is about $350.

If I do get 3-4 years out of it I'll consider it just the cost of doing business because I love that big screen DLP!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Samsung DLP too.  They claim 8000 hours on the lamp.
Cypher in the normal 50% marketing hype and I expect 4000 hours.
I expect to buy a lamp every year - and will do so with a smile
on my face.  Damn nice having HD and big widescreen.

DanM
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a mitsubishi going on 3 years same bulb. Another Toshiba downstairs going close to 10 years same bulb.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn a ten year old DLP!!

Must have been purchased as a proto!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

DanM

Well the bonus is a nice new picture unlike plasma. And prices are dropping on the bulbs if I am not mistaken that bulb he repalced cost $400 2 years ago
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Guess you didn't get the extended warranty. I got a five year warranty on mine for 199.00, the lamp is covered.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
my 4year old HDTV CRT is still working just fine. I like CRTs, heavy but I don't have to replace the bulb every 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
my 4year old HDTV CRT is still working just fine. I like CRTs, heavy but I don't have to replace the bulb every 2 years.

Yea and you get that nice little picture.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHOAAAA!!!  Which model?  I was just about to buy this:

This is the one.

images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/S223-5002main.jpg

We have one of these, a 50", Its great, however, this is one product where it makes sense to get the extended service plan, because of what a bulb can run you.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea and you get that nice little picture.

true but for the bedroom a 30" 16:9 works well
should be fun when I need to chnage the bulb on my projector. $500 the last time I looked
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
on the bright side, it probably doesn't make that high pitched whining sound that the 19" I bought 7 years ago as a display model makes
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I find it shocking that people spend so much on TV.  For the price of a fancy TV I would much rather buy a new saddle or rifle.  I have basic cable only because it is included in my HOA dues.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I find it shocking that people spend so much on TV.  For the price of a fancy TV I would much rather buy a new saddle or rifle.  I have basic cable only because it is included in my HOA dues.

Its all about the home theater experience!  I have over 200 DVD's of sci fi, horror, suspense, war, action and westerns.  Its amazing watching them in hi definition with a booming surround sound system.  I'm dying to recreate my buddy's setup and I'm selling an M1a to do it!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

some spend it on a saddle others spend it on a engine. Thats what hobbys are for, to burn up money
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Sony LCD rear projection lamp went out just before the one year warranty.  I found out they had some problems with the original lamp vendor.  I figured I didn't have 1500 hours and probably more like 1000.  We'll see how long this one goes. $200 if not in warranty.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

some spend it on a saddle others spend it on a engine. Thats what hobbys are for, to burn up money

I suppose that is true.  Maybe when I am older I will be more indoors oriented?  

To the above poster, selling an M1A for a TV system is heresy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

twonami hits a grand-slam, outa-da-park.

DanM
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suppose that is true.  Maybe when I am older I will be more indoors oriented?  

To the above poster, selling an M1A for a TV system is heresy.

Its a chi-com.  The USA built M1a's are here to stay!  (Even though 80% of the parts are USGI anyway.)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DanM

Well the bonus is a nice new picture unlike plasma. And prices are dropping on the bulbs if I am not mistaken that bulb he repalced cost $400 2 years ago

lol my Pioneer 50 plasma is 3.5 years old and it is brighter than you DLP will ever be. Direct view sets rule in screen brightness, homie.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top