Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 5:45:07 PM EDT
Is it legal for a store (liquor store, convenience store, etc.) to sell postage stamps for more than face value?

Sorry, I'm just a local JBT - don't know much about federal law.

Thanks, ARFCOMers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, sir.

Anybody with different info?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I wanna know how COSTCO sells them at a discount.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess they use it as a "loss leader" to get you in the store.

I was told by a grocery market manager that they couldn't sell them for more than face value.  He didn't know if it was the law or his company's policy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend used to own a Postnet and he charged a few cents extra for stamps.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, great info.  Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you bored?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Are you bored?

yeah really, we are a capitalist country if someone wants to sell stamps and another person wants to buy them why would police get involved.

Please big brother leave me alone
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Mailboxes Etc. used to sell them for $.05 more than face value.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you bored?

yeah really, we are a capitalist country if someone wants to sell stamps and another person wants to buy them why would police get involved.

Please big brother leave me alone

1911greg:

No, not bored.  Thanks for your deep concern.

Seneca-Cayuga:

Nobody's trying to get "big brother" involved.  I was curious because the building I am based out of has a snack bar that does some odd things.  I was simply asking because they sell .37 cent stamps for .50 cents.  Not a big thing, really.

You may view my curiosity as an intrusion by "big brother," but I'm just some schlub asking a question.

I now return you to your tin foil protected reality.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
First, the US Post Office is not going to discount to retailers.  

Retailers are not in business to provide a service for nothing.  If you want stamps for "face value", then YOU can go to the Post Office.

Some retailers have dispensing machines.  The stamps have to be packaged, transported, loaded into the machine, the money collected, and the machine must be paid for.  This is not going to happen for free.

Yes, it is legal to sell stamps for more than face value.  The extra money you paid goes to someone else for providing you the stamp for your convenience.

Fact of life, nothing is free.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
i hate going to the post office.

i've often thought i'd be willing to give a little extra to buy from somewhere else.

though i hardly ever buy stamps.

the reason is the vending machines are always sold out of the most used stamps.

and the post office is closed once i get off work.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
No offense intended.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thank you, sir.

Anybody with different info?

My local supermarket sells them higher then costs.

Many places in my area do.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#15]
They sell them at face value here, at the gas station near my house they sell them for 50cents each.

I have wondered this too
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
First, the US Post Office is not going to discount to retailers.  

Retailers are not in business to provide a service for nothing.  If you want stamps for "face value", then YOU can go to the Post Office.

Some retailers have dispensing machines.  The stamps have to be packaged, transported, loaded into the machine, the money collected, and the machine must be paid for.  This is not going to happen for free.

Yes, it is legal to sell stamps for more than face value.  The extra money you paid goes to someone else for providing you the stamp for your convenience.

Fact of life, nothing is free.

The US Post Office does discount for volume and is why some stamps don't have a numerical value printed. So it is very plausible that some retailers will pay less than face value. Also, the Post Office will provide a cut of the vending revenues for their machines. My employer gets a cut for the ones located on our premises.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#17]
you just reminded me i need to buy stamps.  i buy them online at usps.com.  it's fast, easy, and they take credit card (i think)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#18]
once you buy them it's your property, you can do whatever you want with them, flush them down the toilet or sell them to others at below, at, or above cost.  Same with coins, beanie babies, etc.

only thing you can't do is be fraudulent in the transaction, e.g. selling fake stamp
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Arent stamps a tax?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
If you go to the post office, get the Reagan stamps.  Reagan is cool.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you go to the post office, get the Reagan stamps.  Reagan is cool.  

Man, what a setup!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=368371
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#22]
anything above face value is considered a SERVICE FEE. If you do not like it - Make time to stop at the Post Office.

It sucks I know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top