Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2005 5:42:48 PM EDT
OK, so here's some background:

I work at a bank inside Wal-Mart.  Now, my particular bank is not a real classy one.  In fact, you might even say our bank attracts the dregs of financial society, which as you know are bountiful at any given time at Wal-Mart.  The bank also has a policy against concealed carry.

Today, a fat black woman came up to me wanting to do a Western Union money transfer.  As is policy with our bank, I checked her ID before performing the transfer.  Turns out she has an account with the bank and is in the negative about $1500.  So when she hands me $420, I ask my manager what to do about the overdraft situation.  He replied that we have to collect on that negative balance, in other words, we'll have to confiscate her cash.  My manager volunteers to break this to her, and of course she totally flips out.  It is at this point that she began to threaten my manager with bringing in her man to fuck him up.  Then she looked over at me and said the same thing, because I "played along with him".  She said something to the effect of "You don't fuck with people's money.  That'll get you shot."  I told this to Wal-Mart security, who simply dismissed these statements as idle threats.  My manager was so bewildered that he just wanted to leave, damn the incident report.

I think I should quit on the spot.  The job is just a part time gig, and I am overqualified for it anyway.  I don't want to go into the bank carrying, because if I do have to draw down, I will almost surely be fired, plus I don't have a CHL, so I'd be guilty of a felony (IIRC) for illegal concealed carry.  I don't think that job is worth my life and/or my right to bear arms.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can afford to quit, do it.  If you can't, carry anyway and damn the consequences.  They can't do worse than killing you, which is what might happen if you keep working there and DON'T carry.
And BTW why the hell don't you have your CCW permit?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quit.  Now.  Well, maybe see if they'll transfer you to a branch outside of Walmart first.

If I had a CCW and had to deal with those kinds of people all day long, I'd be tempted to use it on myself.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
did you try cutting the top of her jeep off?

i read that has worked once before/

seriously, quit if you feel in danger.

be careful walking through the parking lot too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You really think she is gonna come back with her husband?

I mean come on...confrontations happen every day like this.  You gonna quit a job everytime they do?

Sgat1r5

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK, so here's some background:

I don't want to go into the bank carrying, because if I do have to draw down, I will almost surely be fired,

You can always get another job.... you can;t count on another life.

(Even if you're Buddhist )

plus I don't have a CHL, so I'd be guilty of a felony (IIRC) for illegal concealed carry.  I don't think that job is worth my life and/or my right to bear arms.  What do you think?

Why no CHL?  

BTDT on the "disappearing cash" bit - got paid from a side job, went to bank to cash check. Found out we were over by about $75 (check was $50, day before regular payday, we'd OD'd that AM).

Oh well. PO'd, but the bank is gonna get the $$$ one way (taking my little check) or another (paid back when my payroll gets direct deposited)

NOBODY can be OD/NSF to the tune of $1500 and not have a clue about it. That;s why the currency exchanges do such a boomin' business. She shoulda gone there if she had 1/2 a brain.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't have a CCW?

...in Texas?

Quit your job or go to work armed.

There are no other alternatives.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I mean come on...confrontations happen every day like this.  You gonna quit a job everytime they do?

Sgat1r5

Well it is a pickle.  I can leave whether or not she comes back to chance, but if I decide to take precautions against it, I will certainly get into trouble with my job and the law.  If I don't carry, then something may happen or it may not.  If something does, what the fuck am I going to do if I am not prepared to fight back?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quit or ask for a transfer.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
She broke the law by threatening to shoot you.  Turn her ass in to the police.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I told this to Wal-Mart security, who simply dismissed these statements as idle threats.  ?

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You're assuming she's married.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I told this to Wal-Mart security, who simply dismissed these statements as idle threats.  ?

They are not known for the legal or law enforcement expertise, I suspect.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If something does, what the fuck am I going to do if I am not prepared to fight back?

Is a gun the only way you can fight back?

I think you are WAY over re-acting here.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Precisely why they're Walmart Security.

HH
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
This story is so DejaVu.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Say you do go to work and get shot, have there been any succesful cases against employers for leaving employees defenseless?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Precisely why they're Walmart Security.

HH

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Call the law, that is terroristic threatening.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If something does, what the fuck am I going to do if I am not prepared to fight back?

Is a gun the only way you can fight back?

I think you are WAY over re-acting here.

Sgat1r5

Certainly not.  But in light of her statements, I don't know if I'd want to fight by any other means.  You say it happens all the time, maybe in your line of work it does; I don't know.  All I know is that it's not everyday that MY own life/well-being is threatened, so I thought I'd submit this thought for some realistic advice.  If leaving it be is your opinion on the matter, then it is duly noted, and appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Talk to real police.  Unsure of consequences re:  requesting restraining order on customer.

Talk to your boss.  Customer threatening to kill/have employee killed demands action.

You're in Texas and you're not carrying a gun already?  Holy fuck, I'm in Mass and I carry 70% of the time...  I guess your mileage varies.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#23]
God DAMN it! Yet another fried completely in lack of "draw down!" You could have at least said she "drew down" her account into arrears!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Based on what you have stated, I see no logical reason to return to that job.
You dont sound as though you like the job, you arent proud of it either.....it isnt a career move, and now on top of all of that, you have been threatened, and to add insult to that, security dismissed the threat, and your mgmt refused to document the threat.

Even if I was permited to carry at that job I would still quit.
I would rather be unemployed, than take a roll of the dice that keeping my job potentially meant killing someone, which in the end will screw up your life for the foreseeable future.

Call in....tell them to shove it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Will your manager back you up if you kick a woman's (or anybody) ass?  You're likely taught not to get into any confrontation at all.

If all trhey are doing is yelling then there is no reason to touch the other person.

Do guys run for your guns everythime some raises their voices at you?

Sgatrq15
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#26]
ya know.. she kinda overreacated. but i kinda sympathize with her. there just gonna take her money and send it to china to buy more nukes with..

id be pissed too...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Wal-Mart security................................... C'mon.

1) report it to the REAL police.
2) report it to your employer, in writing, and keep a copy.
3) Situational awareness
4) See if you can transfer to another branch

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
She broke the law by threatening to shoot you.  Turn her ass in to the police.

Bingo.  Should have called the Po Po right then and there.  Communicating a threat is a bonafide offense.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#29]
How about tell 'em to fuck off. They're scum.

And yeah, I am dead serious.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Do guys run for your guns everythime some raises their voices at you?

Sgatrq15

I agree, If you are that concerned , take a self defense class.
You cant use a gun for everything.

ETA:
Till then, get a can of pepper spray.
ETA2:
Ha he beat me to it below....

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
How about tell 'em to fuck off. They're scum.

And yeah, I am dead serious.

Yup worked for me at my folks pawn shop then i showed them the  "DAWG" sized OC can
BTW we had a 870 under the counter also
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Lets see......boss has no balls and is basically useless regarding self defense.

Employer could give a shit less about your safety and well being.

Wal mart Security cares not. Too late to call cops as you have screwed that up.

I'd say this is a no brainer...tell them to stuff the job, and why if you have the 'nads.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I agree, If you are that concerned , take a self defense class.
You cant use a gun for everything.

BS, you guys.  Do you expect him to go hand to hand with anyone, with him on one side of a counter, and the other person on the other side, with a firearm?  Gimme a break.  This has to be the most stupid thing I have heard all day.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quit.  However, normal HR policy is to call the police and have them conduct a courtesy call on the woman and her significant other to remind them of the rules of civility.  (really).  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, guys, I appreciate all the input.

I went ahead and called my mgr and said I am turning in my keys tomorrow.  Finito.  I told him the job wasn't worth the risk of that lady following through with those kinds of threats, and that I was disappointed that no police intervention was prescribed in spite of the nature of the threats.  He said it was cool, to do what I had to do, and that he would still give me good references.

Now I just need a job!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Say you do go to work and get shot, have there been any succesful cases against employers for leaving employees defenseless?

NO.  Only in the minds of guys that like to whine aobut it on gun boards.  There may be a few cases where there was insufficient precautions (and I highly doubt that too) but none for "defenseless".    The duty is generally to take "reasonable" precautions.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Nice logic Sarge. I wonder how many people have been killed because they followed your same line of flawed thinking
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I don't want to go into the bank carrying, because if I do have to draw down, I will almost surely be fired, plus I don't have a CHL, so I'd be guilty of a felony (IIRC) for illegal concealed carry.  I don't think that job is worth my life and/or my right to bear arms.  What do you think?

Illegal CCW in TX is generally a Class A Misdemeanor, unless you carry into certain places.  Don't remember banks being on the list.

edit: from theTexas Penal Code

§ 46.02.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.  (a)  A person
commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly
carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
(b)  Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under
this section is a Class A misdemeanor
(c)  An offense under this section is a felony of the third
degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or
issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

§ 46.03.  PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.  (a)  A person
commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or
recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club,
or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1)  on the physical premises of a school or
educational institution, any grounds or building on which an
activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being
conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or
educational institution, whether the school or educational
institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written
regulations or written authorization of the institution;
(2)  on the premises of a polling place on the day of an
election or while early voting is in progress;
(3)  on the premises of any government court or offices
utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or
written authorization of the court;
(4)  on the premises of a racetrack;                                          
(5)  in or into a secured area of an airport;  or                            
(6)  within 1,000 feet of premises the location of
which is designated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice as a
place of execution under Article 43.19, Code of Criminal Procedure,
on a day that a sentence of death is set to be imposed on the
designated premises and the person received notice that:
(A)  going within 1,000 feet of the premises with
a weapon listed under this subsection was prohibited;  or
(B)  possessing a weapon listed under this
subsection within 1,000 feet of the premises was prohibited.
(g) An offense under this section is a third degree felony.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Nice logic Sarge. I wonder how many people have been killed because they followed your same line of flawed thinking

+1

I know most assaults and murders tend to happen without confrontation (yelling, screaming, threats, etc...) in your pink skied world.

I know murders in my cities hood take place for way less than $450 too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#40]
You messed up.  Just take 2 weeks off.  If she hasnt come back in two weeks, its basically over.  Until her baby daddy gets out of prison.  She probably drinkin a fotie right now, and forgot all about it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:51:43 AM EDT
[#41]
You know, everyone here seems to encourage concealed carry all the time, 'because you don't know when it could happen.'  This guy gets THREATENED and you tell him not to carry?  What board are we on??

That's just fucked up.

You know, regardless of what the Brady Bunch tells you, just because you have a gun on you doesn't mean that you have to use it.  But you can be prepared to do so.

I carry every day, without having people put threats against me.  I guess I'm really paranoid.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#42]
inconceivable someone made a death threat, in front of witnesses, on tape, and the bitch is still out on the street.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not known for the legal or law enforcement expertise, I suspect.

Their cream of the crop.... their a joke. I hate getting calls from wally world. I think they are a bigger joke than dog the bounty hunter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#44]
From your earlier statements, her "threat" does not count as Terroristic Threat under Texas Law and falls under the category of "idle but stupid chatter."

UCW at Wal Mart MAY be a Felony, because many sell alcohol. Do they have the "felony" UCW signs posted at all entrances?

Wal-Mart in Texas is generally CHL-friendly, and my understanding of corporate policy is that they do not post 30.06 signs. It may still cost you your job, but is generally NOT a violation of the law.

It sounds like you over reacted. People say all kinds of stupid things, and working in a customer service-related field will frequently expose you to just this sort of ass clown. People say even dumber things to me all of the time, and I can put them in jail. Learn to deal with it, or you won't be able to effectively work with people.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Why not get proactive?

If you can't carry a gun, carry something that will buy you time till you can escape.

When you see her coming, just push this onto the counter, then run.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:08:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You messed up.  Just take 2 weeks off.  If she hasnt come back in two weeks, its basically over.  Until her baby daddy gets out of prison.  She probably drinkin a fotie right now, and forgot all about it.

+1

If I quit every time some dumbass threatened to shoot me, I might as well stay home.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Their cream of the crop.... their a joke. I hate getting calls from wally world. I think they are a bigger joke than dog the bounty hunter.

You mean "The Dog" ain't the "real deal" ?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I have only had my life threatended once and I took it very seriously.  This was when I was working as a bouncer and proceded to through the said person through a glass door and bounce his head of the side walk a few times, he than spent the next three nights in jail for distruction of property and some other charge.  Anyways I never saw him again after that.

I would take this very seriously and the police should have been called and action shuld have been taken.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#49]
i've dealt with bitchy customers, and i've been threatened before as well.  i was even  told that i was going to be "murdered with a 45 gat".   i didn't worry about it because i knew that nothing would happen.  i do think you're overeacting here.  

if you think she may be a problem in the future, call the cops.  file a report.  you guys have her name, adress, and number on file...  oh, and don't carry without a permit.  it's not worth going to jail over.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

probably 1 out of 100,000.  idle threats are made everyday and rarely does anything come of it.

It's the quiet ones you have to worry about.

Sgat1r5
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top