Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 5:36:33 PM EDT
Link

My wife usually watches it, which means I usually watch it. Pretty neat show to be honest. They really seem to do some incredible things for people. I can't really think of a way to put a negative spin on such an amazing display of goodwill.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife loves that show.

And the sponsors seem remarkably low-key throughout the actual build and reveal. (Except Sears, who has at least 1 of every ad during a commercial  break).

Of course, when the crew shows up at a Sears in Podunk as says "we're taking your tools, paint, and furniture" and they give it to them per Corporate, I guess they can have their screen time.  

It's for a good cause.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Every time I've seen it, I've ended up with a tear in my eye.

Great show.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
day crew bump
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Great show.

ME TOO
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great show.

ME TOO

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the show but I have often wondered how the people that could not afford to live in a decent house in the first place can afford to pay the property taxes on their new $250K house and the gift of the house would be taxable also.  I hope that is taken care of some how.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#7]
No to wet on anyone's picnic basket, but would you really want to live in a house that was built in a week?

The one episode that I watched all the way through was the Kansas City Firefighter/EMT who saved his feamle partner's life. She was shot in an ambush answering a 9-1-1 call. This guy is truly a man among men. It was a really gripping episode.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#8]
It's my wife's favorite show and I'll admit I've seen it a few times. Thje host is somewhat annoying though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#9]
maybe its just me but everytime i watch it im like "How the hell are they gonna afford the taxes and the insurance on there brand new home and car"
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Link

My wife usually watches it, which means I usually watch it. Pretty neat show to be honest. They really seem to do some incredible things for people. I can't really think of a way to put a negative spin on such an amazing display of goodwill.

The corporate sponsors and network shareholders wholeheartedly agree.  How's that?

Seriously,

It is a great show, one of the few morally and ethically sound television experiences out there today, even with the queer design guy.  You can't ever go wrong with corporate sponsored philanthropy.

Better than the reality era crap choking the screen these days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#11]
If they'd get rid of the crazy dude on there who's always flapping his jaws and yelling into that megafone, I might consider watching it. But with him on there, no way. He's more annoying than Jennifer Tilly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:05:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I think Rush mentioned this, the show doesnt pay the gift taxes (neither does Oprah, when she gave away cars to the entire audience last, only like 1 had enough in savings to pay the taxes to keep the car), while he makes sure to pay the taxes as well so its really a 100% free gift whenever he gives something away.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#13]
It's a pretty good show. But I think in the same genre, Queer Eye For The Straight Guy is better.........
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I liked the one with the little girl in AZ who was a cancer patient.  Her request was to makeopver the children's cancer ward where she was treated.

The makeover crew showed up at the house and said they couldn't stay and help because they were on their way to another job, but they were sending the girl and her family to oversee the hospital project.  They asked the Dad if he minded them putting a coat of paint on the house.  He said, "Whatever you want."

A team of about 25 Disney illustrators were flown in to paint the children's ward with scenes & characters from Disney cartoons.  Outstanding.

In the meantime, the home makeover crew bulldozed the family's house and had a huge new one put up.  The contractor was the same company that built the Chunnel and they picked up the mortgage on the property.

It was one of those, "We have to do something about the dust in this house" moments.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Link

The corporate sponsors and network shareholders wholeheartedly agree.  How's that?

Seriously,

It is a great show, one of the few morally and ethically sound television experiences out there today, even with the queer design guy.  You can't ever go wrong with corporate sponsored philanthropy.

Better than the reality era crap choking the screen these days.

+1. I like the show.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the show but have pretty much stopped watching it. It's difficult to watch in all honesty.

The genuine appreciation in the people's faces when they reveal the house to them is priceless.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the show,and one of the shows for this next season was done for one of our soldiers at Ft. Cmpbell, to give him a handicapped accessible house. Alot of the SF guys there helped out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I liked the one with the little girl in AZ who was a cancer patient.  Her request was to makeopver the children's cancer ward where she was treated.

The makeover crew showed up at the house and said they couldn't stay and help because they were on their way to another job, but they were sending the girl and her family to oversee the hospital project.  They asked the Dad if he minded them putting a coat of paint on the house.  He said, "Whatever you want."

A team of about 25 Disney illustrators were flown in to paint the children's ward with scenes & characters from Disney cartoons.  Outstanding.

In the meantime, the home makeover crew bulldozed the family's house and had a huge new one put up.  The contractor was the same company that built the Chunnel and they picked up the mortgage on the property.

It was one of those, "We have to do something about the dust in this house" moments.

That was right across the street from my uncles house.  They used his pasture for all the equipment and staging area.  With that rain we had his whole front yard and his pasture got torn up pretty badly, but after about three weeks (had to wait for it to dry up), a crew came out and landscaped his yard and grated his pasture.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't what they do about the "gift taxes" or the property taxes. I would think they would be able to afford that stuff since most of the time it seems like they are either somewhat financially stable but just live in a shitty house they can't afford to upgrade or they have their mortgage paid off so that frees up money for the taxes. I don't know though. Be interesting to get a concrete answer on that one.

Quoted:
If they'd get rid of the crazy dude on there who's always flapping his jaws and yelling into that megafone.

He's a littl grating, but I get a kick out of him more because he reminds me of a guy I know.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I watch it and really enjoy the show.  I like it because it's making a big difference in the lives of people who actually deserve it.  Not like our welfare system.  I remember the one show about the hispanic guy who's mom was shot in a drive by and he was raising his family and his little brothers and sisters.  There was like a million kids in that house.  He and his wife seem like genuinely good people.  I think he worked counseling kids or something.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm more interested in the logistics behind building a house that damn fast. There is some serious planning going on behind the scenes that I'd LOVE to know about. I'm not a project manager, but I bet someone who was could learn ALOT from that show, if they'd share some more details.

Once in a while, they do a "How'd they do that?" show. It might appease the masses, but their still leaving out most of the details. In all honesty, most people could probably care less about expidited inspections and permitting, so it'll never air. I'd still like to know how they do it, though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Great show with an honest good cause helping people who have had a shitty run with life.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Only one I've seen all the way through happened to be one that was within my home town (las vegas).

This older lady in poor health had been taking in sick children who were up for adoption and taking care of them. She had about 4 or 5 kids between 7-17 and she was a huge inspiration to them. Basically all of them had some ailness or another and the house was borderline unsanitary. So the crew built her a new house with all kinds of new technology meant to purify the air and water coming into the house, to help them live in a healtheir environment. Also did alot of little things, like medicine racks to keep it all organized and small refridgerators in each childs room for drugs that needed to be kept cool. Pretty cool that they actually do this for people..
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm more interested in the logistics behind building a house that damn fast. There is some serious planning going on behind the scenes that I'd LOVE to know about. I'm not a project manager, but I bet someone who was could learn ALOT from that show, if they'd share some more details.

Once in a while, they do a "How'd they do that?" show. It might appease the masses, but their still leaving out most of the details. In all honesty, most people could probably care less about expidited inspections and permitting, so it'll never air. I'd still like to know how they do it, though.

Same here. That show brings out the planning geek in me. I suspect the 7 day timeframe is a bit of TV drama and they probably take a bit longer and compress the schedule into 7 days for filming purposes. Would be interesting to find out, though.

The only one I saw all of was the special when they built a house for SPC Lori Piestewa's family.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I love the show.  It definitely pulls at the heartstrings.  I've often wondered what kind of budget they allow for each house.  It has to be huge, b/c they've completely torn down and rebuilt several homes.

Oh, and Ty's great eye candy.

odd you should mention him... i had another client yesterday that said I reminded her of him. I guess that's a good thing.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top