Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 10:57:52 AM EDT
The Fed-Ex Kinkos do not allow the shipping of guns from these locations.  You should not lie about it or technically the insurance will not be any good.  The gun I am shipping has a broken firing pin and extractor problems after 25K rounds.  I knew the Fed-Ex Kinkos was not going to ship it but I was bored and wanted to give it a try.

Went in and told the lady I need to ship a tool for repair by overnight air with insurance.  She takes a look at the case and says thats a gun.  I said, "No its not.  She said, "Yes, it is."  I said, "It does not shoot."  She said, "So, what does that matter."  I said, "Right now, at best, its a hammer if not a paper weight.  I am shipping it to a gun manufacturer so that they can make it into a gun."  Conference with store manager and other counter attendant yielded a decision that it is a gun because it was a gun, can be a gun or will be a gun.  

I asked to see the policy.  They did not have one other than a sign saying no hazardous materials.  I pointed out that the item in dispute was made of steel.  I do not understand how steel is considered a hazardous material.  It was explained to me that because the steel is in the shape of a gun, it is hazardous.  

I asked if they allow the shipment of knives, swords and spears.  They said yes.  Do you require people to dull them first.  They said no.  I pointed out that more people have been killed throughout human history by knives, swords and spears.  So let me get this straight, you allow the shipment of steel shaped in forms that have killed more humans than guns but will not allow the shipment of steel that looks like a gun but can not work like a gun.  The answer was yes.   I gave them my name and address so that they could provide me additional information on this matter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#1]
  Trying to use LOGIC?  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#2]
What a bunch of idiots. Next time ship it US Priority Mail. I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#3]
FedEx's policy is to only accept firearms for pickup from either an account holder (at your place of business or home), or at an offical FedEx counter, usually located at the local hub.  No other location, especially third party locations, may be used.

USPS can only ship rifles and shotguns for normal people, only FFLs can send handguns through the mail.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
FedEx's policy is to only accept firearms for pickup from either an account holder (at your place of business or home), or at an offical FedEx counter, usually located at the local hub.  No other location, especially third party locations, may be used.

Ditto for UPS.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What a bunch of idiots. Next time ship it US Priority Mail. I do it all the time.

I would be careful in this aspect, because I believe there is a USA federal law that says that only a FFL can ship thru the USPS. I think this was put in by our "friend" Ted Kennedy.

astrafire: Be sure to let us know what you find. But sometimes it is pointless to argue with the 1st line clerks because they have zero power to change any company policy one way or the other, and they can only take your money. Most of those people are on a very short leash.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#7]
... And yet, not a week goes by without a thread on ARFCOM inquiring about proper means to ship a firearm ...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Dissassemble your gun before you pack it so the box doesn't look long and skinny. When asked, say, it's parts for a ventilator. I find it amusing that you write all that to demonstrate their stupidity, but you were the one who couldn't outwit them in the first place. It's not that hard.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The UPS stores have the same policy.   I have to take them to the main UPS facility or lie about the package contents.

Huh.  I shipped a handgun to the factory from a UPS Store.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried to ship a pistol through UPS once.  The uninformed counter guy and the uniformed 'expert' he called at the corporate office vetoed my shipment.  

But the look of horror on his face when he initially opened it to inspect was priceless.  You would almost believe that I had put a dozen scorpions in there or something.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Did they ask you to leave?

Did you speak to the big man?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#13]
If you ship a firearm, you MUST notify the common carrier you are doing so, according to federal law.  

You may ship a long-gun via USPS.  

Only FFLs can ship handguns through the USPS.  

If I am shipping parts (upper, slide, etc.) I always insure them as "machine parts."  That's what the are.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I shipped a rifle thru a Kinko/FedEx.
I first went to FedEX's website, read their policies, printed them and took it with.

No problems.

I shipped an upper the previous month, which I described as "metal parts".

CKMorley
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you ship a firearm, you MUST notify the common carrier you are doing so, according to federal law.  

If I am shipping parts (upper, slide, etc.) I always insure them as "machine parts."  That's what the are.  

You don't have to tell common carriers squat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be careful in this aspect, because I believe there is a USA federal law that says that only a FFL can ship thru the USPS. I think this was put in by our "friend" Ted Kennedy.

Nope, anyone can ship a rifle or shotgun via USPS.  Just take a copy of the USPS rules and regs with you b/c chances are the manager of the USPS will freak out and threaten to call the cops on you (i speak from experience)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dissassemble your gun before you pack it so the box doesn't look long and skinny. When asked, say, it's parts for a ventilator. I find it amusing that you write all that to demonstrate their stupidity, but you were the one who couldn't outwit them in the first place. It's not that hard.

"parts for a ventilator"  That's pretty good.  Mind if I use it?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Barrel = Metal Tube.....not rifle/pistol barrel.  The uniformed counter jockies will give you a hard time if the description in any way suggests gun or gun part.

And to think, no less than a few decades ago you could order a Thompson though your Sears mail order catalogue and have it shipped to your home.    The antis have already won.  Anything "gun" is bad.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"parts for a ventilator"  That's pretty good.  Mind if I use it?

Please do
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I typically ship through the local Fed-Ex hub.  I took the gun to my local Fed-Ex hub and told the guy there about it.  He laughed and agreed that the poicy should be stated clearly.  He thinks that they do not like the whole, "no this is really a big deal if you lose it kinda thing."
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I shipped an upper receiver and barrell assembly from a FedEx Kinkos last week. He asked me if there was anything "dangerous" in my package. I said, "No." Case closed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I mailed one through those azzhats just the other day, they didnt have a clue.  The morale of this store is if one jerk denies you go find another loc and do it again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The UPS stores have the same policy.   I have to take them to the main UPS facility or lie about the package contents.

UPS Stores are a franchise, they just have the same name as the UPS shipping company, you cant ship firearms from their locations.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

UPS Stores are a franchise, they just have the same name as the UPS shipping company, you cant ship firearms from their locations.

Kharn

Or Ammo
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#26]

She takes a look at the case and says thats a gun. I said, "No its not. She said, "Yes, it is." I said, "It does not shoot."

Of course you know it is still a gun, just because it does not shoot doesn't mean it's not still a gun.  A usless gun to be sure, but you understand the ATF still considers it a gun?

Not defending the policy of ship/no-ship, but I've ran into many a gun owner who didn't understand about shipping a gun.

If you do understand it's a gun, then the clerk was actually correct and you weren't.  Regardless of how stupid the rules are.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I went through this with a gal who said she has 22 years experience with UPS at one of the local hubs.

She refused to let me ship, at first.

Then said that I needed to have the FFL on file with them. (was shipping to a refinisher)

Then I asked to see the regulation, and she gave one that only applied to FFL to FFL shipments.

It took about 20 minutes of going back and forth. At one point she left the room to speak with someone else about it, and while she was gone I was reading through her manual. It says that should a customer appear angry or frustrated when shipping a firearm to leave the room and call a supervisor, as if the mere presence of a gun will make us flip out and kill everyone.

Anyways, I finally got it shipped. I never went to that hub again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Ah, but in the case of a semi-auto (or auto for that matter), the "firearm" from a legal standpoiunt is the frame.  The rest is "machined parts".
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ah, but in the case of a semi-auto (or auto for that matter), the "firearm" from a legal standpoiunt is the frame.  The rest is "machined parts".

In the case of any firearm it's the frame or receiver.  But if you're shipping the frame or receveir with your broken gun, it's still a frame or receiver and still a gun.  I get gun parts at home all the time, like many people do, but since I don't have an FFL I can't receive a frame or receiver (ie gun) no matter what parts are or are not attatched to it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#30]
UPS has a no gun policy? I shipped my upper receiver to Bushy for replacement, the USP clerks didnt say anything. Then again, I shipped it from Georgia. Yee-Haw for the free states.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
UPS has a no gun policy? I shipped my upper receiver to Bushy for replacement, the USP clerks didnt say anything. Then again, I shipped it from Georgia. Yee-Haw for the free states.

And this is an excellent example of exactly what I was talking about.  

The upper is just parts.  Not a gun in any form or type.  The lower on an AR (which has the serial number) is the part that is considered by the ATF as the gun.  There's nothing wrong with what you did, nor does it have anything to do with your location.  You didn't ship a gun, so the gun policy doesn't apply, nor do any laws that cover guns.

If you shipped the lower (with parts or not) then it's a gun, and has to be shipped as a gun.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]
i always just say machine parts.
it's none of their business what kind of machine it is.  

never say
to:  Big band gun comany!!!!
      shoot your mama drive kill'em'all, TX 66612.

use "BM" for bushmaster.
"CLT."  for Colt.  etc.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#33]
If you had pre-packaged and pre-labeled it (pre-paid and printed on your computer)  there would have been NO dialogue at Fedex Kinkos other than:  "here's my box."  "OK, thank you".

Just don't write Smith and Wesson, write S and W, etc.......
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to ship guns all the time from this UPS depot back in PA. The manager was real friendly and was always curious about what kind of gun I was mailing that time. I had no trouble shipping long guns, hand guns, even limited amounts of ammo through there.

The FedEx depot was hit-or-miss, depending on who was working there. Sometimes I just didn't say what it was and they didn't care. Sometimes I said it was a gun and they said "you must ship it overnight but otherwise ok" and sometimes they said "no guns allowed". Weird.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i always just say machine parts.
it's none of their business what kind of machine it is.  

never say
to:  Big band gun comany!!!!
      shoot your mama drive kill'em'all, TX 66612.

use "BM" for bushmaster.
"CLT."  for Colt.  etc.  

No doubt!

Many companies have gone to abbeviations like above because theft is so bad.  Like I just received a package from Gun Parts Corp and it's just marked "GPC".  Not a gun in it, but they know that anything with "gun" on it is just asking to be stolen.  Even when legally shipping a gun the right way, I adress it to "JFF" instead of "Joe's Fine Firearms".

Once you get past the counter people, there's still a huge chance of a package being stolen if someone knows what's in it.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't have to tell common carriers squat.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

I used to think this too, but here is the law:

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

The ATF interpretation doesn't square with the law (imagine that!)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Or you could open your own personal account and have them pick it up at your house.

I opened my own Fedex account simply because it is more convenient than ever going to any of their locations, not due to the shipping firearms deal, but that has worked out quite well also.  I might use it once every two months and have no problem with usage not being enough.  There is no charge for the account and it is linked to one of my credit cards.

I do the shipping label online, print it out, and stick it on the box.  Very simple.  They do not ask about such things when you do it online.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

None of this is true.  It may be their policy, but none of it is law, except perhaps for USPS.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#39]
That's weird about the UPS store, because the guys near me told me it was fine to ship to a dealer or to have it repaired........
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Last time I shipped a gun was a few years ago. Prior to that time I'd fairly regularly shipped stuff through the local FedEx place with no issues/problems. Last time though was just a hoot! I'd read up carefully just what I needed to do to fully comply with their regulations.

As required, I'd disassembled the pistol and packed it carefully. When I went in and eventually worked my way through the line I announced to the clerk that 'in accordance with the pollicy set forth in your website I'm notifying you that I'm shipping a firearm and that it has been disassembled and is non-operable'...You'd have thought I just told him the box contained multiple rabid cobra's. He got all excited and told me that 'they don't ship GUNS'. My response? 'Of course you do, I've shipped quite a few and FedEx has never had a problem before'. Him;'I just moved up from the shipping department and we've NEVER shipped a firearm' Me; 'I see, would you mind getting a supervisor here please?'....She came out of the back office, he told her the horror I was trying to commit and she just said, 'of course we ship guns.' and went back to her office...total face time with supervisor? about 20 seconds. Took the clerk about 1 min to complete the paperwork after that....I laughed about the whole scene the rest of the day.

I learned not to waste time with underlings that don't have a clue about the companies policies, I get a manager and things go far smoother.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you are not supposed to take them to the UPS Stores. I just had to send my Glock 23 back to the factory yesterday and had to take it to the UPS Collection Center. The rep at Glock told me last week to make sure not to go to the UPS Store and use the Collection Center. Luckily there is a UPS Collection enter in my hometown. They still managed to F-up but that is for another thread.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Hmmmm, when the CA DOJ required me to return my P22 to Walther for modification they sent me a prepaid FedEx shipping box. I took it to Kinko's, they shipped it. It was returned to me via FedEx.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I shipped a handgun last year via FEDEX to an FFL.  Took it to a local FEDEX office, declared it as such, and the 2 older black ladies behind the counter made jokes about needing to borrow it to discipline their menfolk as they finished my paperwork.  Other than the fact that the fee was $48, there was no other problem whatsoever.  At no time did the counter people act like this wan't a common and perfectly acceptable thing to do.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

USPS can only ship rifles and shotguns for normal people, only FFLs can send handguns through the mail.

Kharn

That's a mighty useful thing to know about FedEx. I have had a FedEx account for a couple of years, and it never occured to me to simply have them come to the house when I wanted to ship a firearm.

This ARFCOM thing can be real educatin'
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe you need to buy a curio FFL?

I hanven't had a problem with UPS or FedEx shipping stuff straight to my door. And since I am a shipping mamanger, I ship guns for repair from my company, again no problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I have shipped through UPS several handguns to the makers factory with no problems. It was even listed on the form what it was. That is the only sure way to get insurance if something happens to it.
I have seen them refuse a claim for people because the lied about contents of their package.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top