Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 10:46:31 AM EDT
I might be in the market for a new phone in a few days......

I like flip phones and I need one at least as small as my current one (Motorola T720).  I like speakerphone and wouldn't mind having one that plays real tones instead of just the pulses or whatever you call it......

I also would like one that is efficient as far as battery life is concerned.  I also don't want to spend a fortune.....any recommendations?  Good places online to pick one up?  Where can I get one for a good price (around $50) without having to get a plan (online?)?

ETA: Now I need a new phone......I stopped by Friday after work and the lady at Alltel said I was gonna need a new one.....I was in a hurry so she said to just keep the loaner until I find something.....and I'm pretty sure she said something along the lines of "you need one that is already with alltel"  what the hell does that mean?  Can't I just buy any phone I want and have them put my number in it??  Taxman...anyone that has worked at a cell place help me out???
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my Motorolla RAZR, but it is quite expensive.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah....that one is nice and flat.....but I really don't want to spend that much on a phone......
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there a phone lighter than 2.75 oz out there?

I wouldlike to upgrade but cannot go any heavier than my current one. The razr is thin at .6 but mine is only .8" and much lighter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a motorola V188.  its reliable, durable, fairly lightweight, but not too thin.  best part is that it is an inexpensive phone so if I manage to destroy it(as I have a habit of doing) I wont be out much to get a new one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The V-60 series were pretty nice.

Options can very some depening on the company your with
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]
The Motorola v3 Razr is a little heavier because of its all-metal chassis. You'd snap that thing right in half if it had a plastic chassis. I had one for a month before I got my Treo 650 (what a pig this thing is!) and it was by far the best flip phone I've ever used. Phenomenal audio and extraordinary reception - way better than any phone with an external antenna. Great piece of work, that one. There are good deals to be had on the Razr depending on your carrier.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody know of a good online discounter to get phones?

I'm not so much concerned with the weight as I am the size and price.  I also want one that doesn't have some stupid default song (that can't be changed or turned off) that plays when you turn your phone on and off...  That gets on my last nerve with my current phone.

Small, rugged, reliable, speakerphone, earbud jack, good battery life, enough storage space for lots of contacts......that's about all I need.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I like my Motorolla RAZR, but it is quite expensive.

I like mine as well. The only problem is they don't make a cradle for the hands free kit I have in my truck.
I bought a bluetooth hands free kit, but I have not installed it yet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]
My current carrier is Alltel (b/c it was the only one I could get service with), but I could switch to Verizon, Cingular, Suncom, etc. when my current contract ends in May.....

What kind of deal can be had on a Razr.....I thought they were around $300
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My current carrier is Alltel (b/c it was the only one I could get service with), but I could switch to Verizon, Cingular, Suncom, etc. when my current contract ends in May.....

Probaly free with a new contract, but you will be back in a 2year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think they are exclusive to Cingular.
Does anyone have one that doesn't use Cingular?

You can get one at Best Buy for $129.00, with a two year contract.
Just don't pay with $2 dollar bills
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Where can I get a V188.....I read up on it and it seems pretty good.  I'd kinda like to stay with Alltel 'cause I have unlimited m2m and my whole family has Alltel.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Kyocera KX414.  No flip(but that's how I like it.) and it offers decent reception and battery life.

I was able to get a ringtone from Verizon's "Get it now" service.

Not my phone but similar:
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#14]
deej:

That's a little too big for me....I gotta have something I can drop in a pocket and it go unnoticed (by me and casual observers).
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#15]
My last phone with Cingular was the V551 Motorola, what a POS phone. I now carry the Nokia 6230. It has phone memory, plus a 32 meg card(upgradeable), video, camera, bluetooth,etc. The reception and battery life is great compared to the Motorola 550 series.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been with Sprint since 1997, my longest relationship of any kind........
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My last phone with Cingular was the V551 Motorola, what a POS phone. I now carry the Nokia 6230. It has phone memory, plus a 32 meg card(upgradeable), video, camera, bluetooth,etc. The reception and battery life is great compared to the Motorola 550 series.

How much? and where?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Having used Motorolas since the big ass heavy first flip phone,  I switched this time to the less expensive LG camera phone.  Has all the bells and whistles including internet, camera, downloadable ring tones, handsfree, headphone jack,  and color screen.  A tad larger than I would care it still packs fairly good.  Reception which IMHO is the true measure of a phone is as good as any I have used and better than most.  It's the only phone I've had that will pick up a signal consistantly at my house.

Not saying it's better than the Motorolas just that it is an option.

Tj

Which model? how much?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at switching to Verizon and going with the LG VX6100.  

I think the LG VX6100 is a great little phone - pricey if you buy it outright but not to bad if you get it as a new customer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Take a look at switching to Verizon and going with the LG VX6100.  

I think the LG VX6100 is a great little phone - pricey if you buy it outright but not to bad if you get it as a new customer.

What kind of plan?  Right now I pay $42 a month total for 750 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends after 9pm, unlimited m2m, voicemail, call waiting, three-way calling, caller id, detailed billing......that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Having used Motorolas since the big ass heavy first flip phone,  I switched this time to the less expensive LG camera phone.  Has all the bells and whistles including internet, camera, downloadable ring tones, handsfree, headphone jack,  and color screen.  A tad larger than I would care it still packs fairly good.  Reception which IMHO is the true measure of a phone is as good as any I have used and better than most.  It's the only phone I've had that will pick up a signal consistantly at my house.

Not saying it's better than the Motorolas just that it is an option.

Tj

My mom had the big ass heavy flip phone LOL.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Anybody else wanna chime in......maybe somebody that works for a cell phone company/carrier?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Anybody else wanna chime in......maybe somebody that works for a cell phone company/carrier?

I used to work at one, most models are the same except for additional features, they all work ok, but try and get a tri-mode.

Go look at them is my best suggestion.

Myself Id way a Mot-V710 but I got a Kyocera VX-1 it was cheap
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#26]
if you're looking for a plan as well check out this website, it has the best deals as far as I know. They are all 100% legit too (used them myself, family and friends). Several different carriers as well.

www.a1wireless.com
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#27]
TJ:

Walkie-talkie is the dumbest feature I think they could have ever came up with.....

Lockedon:

Thanks for the link....my contract isn't up until May, but I might be changing carriers.  Anybody in the SW part of VA or Eastern TN......who has the best service around here?  I travel too so reception (w/ no roaming) in the surrounding states of VA is important.

I was checking out Cingular and they don't have voicemail.....WTF?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:31:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:34:41 AM EDT
[#29]
TJ:

I think I was agreein' with ya.....  Or maybe my readin' comprehension is a little off this mornin'
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#30]
My anti-Nextel rant from an archived post:

The only thing more annoying to me than people talking too loud on cell phones is people talking too loud on Nextel direct-connect. It's twice as bad, because I have to hear twice as many morons talking about inane crap.

Typical Nextel direct-connect conversation overheard at the gas pump.
<chirp>Hey, Terry?
<squawk>Yeah, Mike.
<chirp>You there?
<squawk>Yeah. Where are you?
<chirp>At the gas station.
<squawk>Where?
<chirp>The gas station.
<squawk>Which one?
<chirp>The one at 123rd and Maple.
<squawk>Oh, yeah?
<chirp>Yeah.
<squawk>How much is gas?
<chirp>$1.699
<squawk>Really?
<chirp>Yeah.
<squawk>Wow.
<chirp>I know.
<squawk>Are you coming back here?
<chirp>When?
<squawk>When you're done.
<chirp>I don't know.
<squawk>OK
<chirp>Why?
<squawk>Just wondering.
<chirp>Oh.
<squawk>Did you see Dave today?
<chirp>Yeah.
<squawk>What did he say?
<chirp>About what?
<squawk>That saw.
<chirp>What saw.
<squawk>The one that's broken.
<chirp>No, why would he?
<squawk>I don't know.
<chirp>Me either.
<squawk>I thought he might.
<chirp>Well, he didn't.
<squawk>Hmmm.
<chirp>Yeah.
<squawk>Wow.
<chirp>Yep.

*slam*

At this point, thankfully, a layer of automotive glass insulates me from the continuing drivel.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I was checking out Cingular and they don't have voicemail.....WTF?

You need to talk to a new Cingular Rep. I have, and almost all of my friends have Cingular. We all have voicemail.

We were all at Alltel but our friend that worked there went to Cingular so we all followed.

Plus I got a cool  new number.......903-XXX-4000
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#33]
UPDATE: On page 1 my first post.....help me out.  Camera is not really necessary......
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#34]
BTT......Need to know what will work with Alltel....and a good place to get one online w/out a plan signup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top