Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 6:14:10 AM EDT
I use TruGreen Chemlawn for my lawn maintainence service. They provide all the necessary fertilizer and such. I stating noticing that more and more of my once nice lawn is becoming moss. Any idea why this would be hppening and how can I fix it short of tearing it all up?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I use TruGreen Chemlawn for my lawn maintainence service. They provide all the necessary fertilizer and such. I stating noticing that more and more of my once nice lawn is becoming moss. Any idea why this would be hppening and how can I fix it short of tearing it all up?

TruGreen is a bunch of theives!!!  They charge $40+ dollars a month to spray fertilizer that cost them $1.29 per gallon of concentrate.  They will only spray weed control if the temperature is below 75 degrees, but they will charge you for it everymonth.  I used them for several months...my lawn got worse.  I now have stickers and nutsedge running rampant where I never had any before.  Weeds have gotten worse and they still have the nerve to call me with their new and latest "deal."

Screw TruGreen.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
My neighbor uses them and I don't.  My yard looks better than his.  They spray the same mix
on everyone's yard, while I can control and customize what goes on mine based on lots
of different things.  I don't see the point.

As for your moss, God knows what they are spraying on your yard so it's hard to tell.
They may be doing that to provide some artifical green, especially this time of year when
it's so hot and the grass is more brown.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
No expert, but I know that Scotts makes this:

http://www.scotts.com/index.cfm/event/ProductGuide.product/documentType/product/category/%2FCategories%2FProducts%2FWeed+Insect+and+Disease+Control%2FDisease+Control/documentId/1b5aa9e21c2f2e991fdd43aecc0a4e47

I guess it takes a couple applications over a year to work depending on how bad the moss is.

I do my own lawn and current drought conditions aside it usually looks good.  All that's required is fertilizer twice a year (spring & fall), grub control (early june), lime (late march/early april), and periodically sport treat lawn with weed-b-gone using pump sprayer.  Use a rotary spreader for fertilizer & grub control, drop spreader for lime.  Nothing fancy just the scotts brand spreaders.  It may seem like a lot of work the first time (especially liming with the drop spreader), but it gets easy after that.  

Also, when mowing I bag, not mulch.  I know some enviro-nazi's have diff opinions on mulching, but I use what works for me.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TruGreen is a bunch of theives!!!  They charge $40+ dollars a month to spray fertilizer that cost them $1.29 per gallon of concentrate.  They will only spray weed control if the temperature is below 75 degrees, but they will charge you for it everymonth.  I used them for several months...my lawn got worse.  I now have stickers and nutsedge running rampant where I never had any before.  Weeds have gotten worse and they still have the nerve to call me with their new and latest "deal."

Screw TruGreen.

Yes, get rid of TruGreen!

My friend had them for a while. He saw one of the workers spraying his lawn with a liquid. The worker said it was some sort of weed killer. Once he left, my friend took a closer look at his lawn, and found that this chemical had a green dye in it to make the lawn look greener.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
If you live in the south and have Bermuda grass the lawn services only give it about 25% of the nitrogen it needs to be healthy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had Tru Green before, but I have a local company now that does much, much better and uses organic stuff
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Get your ass in that yard and do it yourself.

Go out and getcha a handheld or walk behind broadcaster and do it a couple times a year for a tenth of the cost.  

BTW I use a handheld on about 1/4 acre,   then again I've been known to be a glutton for punishment.

eta
I've had pretty good results with Scotts Weed and Feed.  (And NO this has nothing to do with stuff bought up the street from "Scott" and munchies afterwards).  And we don't even water our yard.  I guess we've been lucky
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#8]
More than you'd ever want to know about grass,weeds, and lawn management.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#9]
for greening your lawn and making it grow nuthin seems to work better than generic 13-13-13
as for the moss and stuff start out by using a weed and feed or something like that
it might just mean that they are using to much turf builder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top