Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2005 4:45:43 AM EDT
A little spin on that which has been done to death...

For those of you who would like to participate here, present your case for the best choice for the ONE and ONLY ONE rifle you would carry for the whole Biblical hurricane, pre-emptive strike, Mad Max, zombies rise from the earth with radioactive cocks, blah blah SHTF deal.

The conditions:

1. The weapon must be legal in the common sense states (NOT NY, CA, etc.)

2. Your choice is commited to ONE configuration only, (eg AR-15 with its ONE upper)

3. Make this thoughtful, if not educational... (sure, "FAB-10!!! " is a real original response , but doesn't add much to the thread).

I will begin by arguing (for argument's sake) the case of the FAL.

Naturally, it has its drawbacks. The full-length rifle makes for tedious CQB in a house-to house weapon, forcing the rifleman to chose between an underpowered pistol or an unwieldy weapon for room clearing. Moreover, it is not THE MOST accurate choice for battle rifles, let alone rifles of that caliber, and I HATE the look of that that round triggerguard. Yeah, yeah it's stupid but it annoys the hell out of me.

The reasons why this would make an optimal choice if not (arguably) the best choice are many:

- As stated, it is not the MOST accurate, but it is very accurate in the hands of a skilled shooter.

- Rock-solid reliability/durability.

- Worldwide popularity makes for inexpensive and widely available repalcement parts.

- Ditto for magazines (which I feel deserves special & seperate mention from replacement parts).

- The 7.62 round does not rely on fragmentation & is deadly in short and long range applications alike.

- While it's not the most prolific round, 7.62mm/.308 is widely available: commercial & surplus alike.

- The power of the rifle makes it useful for defense and big-game hunting as well.

If you agree with the FAL and can put a better spin on it than I had then by all means, go for it. Otherwise, choose your weapon and CONVINCE us of your choice.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Ak in 7.62
100% reliable and very simple. Accurate enough for ranges most encountered.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
10/22
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
10/22

I think the rules are, if you pick a 10/22, they throw in a .38
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
10/22

Actually I was thinking the same thing. When SHTF, the most likely use of a rifle will be gathering food. 22LR is very light, very cheap, and extremely common - literally thousands of rounds of it in nearly every store that deals in ammo in the country.

If however he's saying we're going to war here in our backyards and need to arm ourselves, I'm having a hard time deciding whether I'd pick my VEPR-K  in 7.62 and all my 30 round waffle mags, or my RRA 16" with TA31 and all the XM193 I could carry. I think the VEPR would be more reliable in the very long term.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
10/22

Actually I was thinking the same thing. When SHTF, the most likely use of a rifle will be gathering food. 22LR is very light, very cheap, and extremely common - literally thousands of rounds of it in nearly every store that deals in ammo in the country.

I was actually trying to be sarcastic.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
10/22

HA!!!! That's what you get.

We shall mock your mockery with legitimacy!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
10/22

HA!!!! That's what you get.

We shall mock your mockery with legitimacy!

I guess I deserved that.  ETA I guess I would use my AR- Armalite lower, soon to be CMT upper, Colt M-16 carrier group, and 16" Bushmaster HBAR
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ak in 7.62
100% reliable and very simple. Accurate enough for ranges most encountered.

yup, or fal / m-14 type. thats it!  stop asking!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd go with a good bolt action in .308 Win. with a low-med. power scope(2-7, 1.5-4.5) as long as I get to keep my Mossberg 590a1 for the CQB stuff. Most of what I'd use a rifle for would be long range(200+ yards) and mostly hunting/sniping so hi-cap, spray and pray fire isn't needed but accuracy is. That's where the bolt gun really shines. Shotguns can handle anything else that comes up. JMHO, YMMV. In Frith.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Recce.

As soon as I finish it, that is. . .
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#12]
My DSA STG58A FAL.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#13]
AK type action with 20" barrel and 5.56 ammo, like the vepr or the arsenal RPK (or Galil), That way you get the best of the AK, Reliability, and the best of the AR, the  5.56 mm with a long enough barrel to ensure fragmentation out to 300 meters. also i pick 5.56 cause thats the round most available from when you ambush a yankee patrol and take their ammo. rookie veck Americanski!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#14]
*yawn* M1a scout/squad with EOtech holosight.

Next: 9mm or .45!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#15]
30/30 winchester lever, something short like a trapper, egg loop for gloves, off set scope. fast to shoot, fast reload, strong, ammo as rare as .22lr. ok kill range, light too. hard to break.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

*Yawn* back it up... and DUH .45
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd still take my Bushie XM15E2S.  Its the firearm I'm most comfortable with and its a solid platform.  Throw a scope ontop of the carry handle or if ya got an A3 pull the handle and use the flattop.  Ammo is widely available and lighter to carry.  And it just looks BAD ASSED.  I know there are other firearms out there that can do certain jobs better but for an ALL AROUND SHTF weapon I love the AR-15.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Yawn* back it up... and DUH .45

Back it up?

OK

!54. ro mm9 :txeN

.thgisoloh hcetOE htiw dauqs\tuocs a1M *nway*
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#19]
For a true SHTF collapse of society scenario I'd go woth a scoped .308 with backup Irons and a detachable magazine.

For LA riots type stuff an AR with an Optic Sight.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Back it up?

OK

!54. ro mm9 :txeN

.thgisoloh hcetOE htiw dauqs\tuocs a1M *nway*

No more all-nighters for me... that took a whole min for me to figure that out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#21]
If you're talking complete collapse, riots, etc:

Well, I figure alot of dudes will be busy buying up those cheap DIAS you see in SGN, or making them in their garage. In the case of "unarmed" California, all of those rifles that never got registered and sunk to the bottom of the lake are going to magically resurface.

.223 kills zombies and people just fine. Nearly any common AR will do just fine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#22]
LOL

OK, why an M1a scout? Because that's what I like. It's light enough and very swing-able. It's a .308, it's accurate, reliable, and fairly compact. Ergonomically it's perfect for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#23]
This should be good !

My choice :
Customized PTR-91 PBWB .

.308 caliber :
What's cover to 5.56 is often concealment for 7.62.
Cheap surplus and good civilian ammo common.
No screwing around with weight of bullet VS.
twist of the barrel.

The PTR has only 2 flaws I see.
1.No last shot bolt hold open.
(Many military designs lack it)

2.18 inch barrel.I prefer 20 ,but the 18 makes
it more useful if CQB is necessary.

A properly built ,properly cared for ,worn in ,
PTR-91/HK-91 is a 100% dependable weapon.
Conditions do not matter.
The FAL /M1A/AR-10 all jam in rugged conditions
and with mixed ammo types.
The FAL is an awesome weapon ,but ask the
Israelis what they think of it.
The PTR/HKs do not care.
As long as you keep putting in full mags and
don't let the chamber go empty between changes,
it WILL go bang ,eject,and reload.

These rifles are FAR more accurate then they have ever
been given credit for.
After a trigger job ,mine is right at 1 MOA.
The fluted barrels help keep your groups tight
even when the rifle has been heated up with rapid fire.

As stated earlier ,the design of these rifles also makes them
more compact if CQB becomes unavoidable.

Cost /effectiveness is also important to think about.
Recently a reversal of fortunes has occurred,and the PTR-91
is half the price of an M1A ,and far cheaper than a well
built FAL clone.
The light Aluminum alloy mags can be purchased for $2
a piece now,in near perfect condition.
Spare parts are very cheap with so many HKs being decommissioned
and already shipped into the US in pieces,and tons
of brand new parts being shipped in from storage.

Depending on the next presidential election and politics,
within a few years JLD may make the PTR entirely
out of US parts .
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
For a true SHTF collapse of society scenario I'd go woth a scoped .308 with backup Irons and a detachable magazine.

For LA riots type stuff an AR with an Optic Sight.

True.  The AR is to dirty for a "you're out in the middle of nowhere for months without resupply".

The AR has teeth, but needs a big tail of cleaning supplies.

* This is my keyboard commando opinion.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Didn't the Israelis have problems with the FAL? I think they ended up cutting grooves in the bolt or something to deal with malfunctions caused by sand.

I think so and that is why they made the gali.. gazell..  that other rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#26]
AR-10T carbine

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd take my AK right now but if I had optics and better mags for my AR I would probably go with that (I bought OrLite mags )...yes they jam a lot...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#28]
18" AR-10
LMT SOPMOD Stock
TA31 ACOG
3-Point Sling
Knight's RAS
Knight's Vertical Foregrip
Twelve 20-Round Mags

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#29]
AR-15, because I like my triangular handguards...

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#31]
remington 870 express.  20" barrell threaded for removable chokes and a +2 mag extension.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#32]
My M4 with a 512 EOTech.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#33]
My good friend has a m249 para saw!!!!  I know I would be hooking up with him, so if he wasn't gonna carry it I know I would be.

He has a bunch of class III and he would more than likely carry his full auto AUG.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
remington 870 express.  20" barrell threaded for removable chokes and a +2 mag extension.

Fascinating.... A 12-gauge rifle and no explanation as to why this "rifle would be the best choice. Didn't do so well on those reading comprehension tests in school, huh?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#35]
M1A, for all the reasons the FAL was listed plus the oprod=forward assist.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fascinating.... A 12-gauge rifle and no explanation as to why this "rifle would be the best choice. Didn't do so well on those reading comprehension tests in school, huh?

that's the one gun i would chose.  i could give a shit less if it's a rifle or not.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I would most likely take my 20" A2.  while not as short as an AK, I would choose it primarily cause of the ammo/mags consideration.  

Fact:  Most LEO Carry some form of the AR15

If they get squeeged trying to fend off whatever, u can get the ammo/mags off the dead bodies or from an abandoned arms locker

Fact:  The military uses the AR15 in some form or another

If they get squeeged fending off whatever, same as above for LEO

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

that's the one gun i would chose.  i could give a shit less if it's a rifle or not.

And a perfectly good choice for the "Which one GUN would you choose" topic, which evidently this thread is NOT.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#39]
I would carry my Garand, it is not normally my first choice, but for your rule sit will do.

I have thousands of rounds loaded on clips for it, it has a sling (most of my rifles do not, they spend more time in scabbards) it is plenty accurate, I have a small game adapter to shoot a .22 cartridge to get small game, and accelerators to get larger game that is not yet classified as BIG game

it will also work well against two legged predators if Ihave to and is quick to load

(Normally I woudl carry my winchester because i have a few wheelguns in the same caliber, but that is a different thread )
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

And a perfectly good choice for the "Which one GUN would you choose" topic, which evidently this thread is NOT.

oh well. i'm just glad i'm not as anal as you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Didn't the Israelis have problems with the FAL? I think they ended up cutting grooves in the bolt or something to deal with malfunctions caused by sand.

The Aussies actually I beleive, I see their bolts up here occasionally
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I would choose the same and here is why.  When TSHTF I am going into a defensive posture.  I will be protecting my family by keeping a low profile.  No long range sniping and  no CQB.  I would have a good selection of buckshot, slugs and birdshot.  I would avoid a gunfight if at all possible, but if not I could make someone regret coming within 50 yds of my position.

After SHTF I think food collection will be important, and the 12 gauge will do much better in the hunting role than a rifle.  I would hope the firearm is needed a whole lot more for hunting than for repelling boarders.  Any one gun is a trade-off, but I think the 12 gauge would fill the defensive and hunting roles better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I would choose the same and here is why.  When TSHTF I am going into a defensive posture.  I will be protecting my family by keeping a low profile.  No long range sniping and  no CQB.  I would have a good selection of buckshot, slugs and birdshot.  I would avoid a gunfight if at all possible, but if not I could make someone regret coming within 50 yds of my position.

After SHTF I think food collection will be important, and the 12 gauge will do much better in the hunting role than a rifle.  I would hope the firearm is needed a whole lot more for hunting than for repelling boarders.  Any one gun is a trade-off, but I think the 12 gauge would fill the defensive and hunting roles better.

<sigh> very relevant for a "ONE-GUN" thread, but not here. What if you can have a shotgun AND a pistol to go along with your ONE freaking rifle? What if there was a complete dry-up of commercial ammo, and only military ammo was available worldwide? willful suspension of disbelief, folks.

Hats off to you however, for at least providing an intellegible explanation for your off-topic choice though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#44]
If SHTF me and MrsScrun will be carrying...........

Bigscrun: M4gery in .223 (2) mags on the gun, (8) in LBE. Glock 23 in .40 w/ 3 Hicaps
MrsScrun:M4gery in 9mm (2) mags on the gun, (4) in Pack. Glock 26 in 9mm w/ 3 Hicaps
Lil'Scrun: Will have a Ruger 22/45 in his backpack
Stepscrun: Carrying ammo
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#45]
M14
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd just grab my trusty chinese SKS with a few bandoliers of ammo and my BOB and BOV. Nothing more. Someday I am going to get an Arsenal SAM-7 (Or VEPR, still can't make up my bloody mind!). UNtil then I'll use my SKS, although I sure wouldn't turn down a DSA FAL! Those things are built like tanks and dead reliable.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#47]
The original 20" M16A1.  (semi auto lower if you must)

LIGHT, accurate, dependable, effective.  Also shoots .22's  (you said I couldn't add an upper, but you never said anything about a conversion kit.)

Include a scope with a detachable carry handle mount and you are good to go.

There is no animal in North America that cannot be dispatched with 30 rds of .223.    They used to kill them with pointed sticks you know.     When you are killing animals for survival, a humane kill will be the least of your worries.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#49]
OK - If I gotta have a rifle...I would choose my AR-15.  The main reason for this is that all family members can shoot it well.  My daughters don't like the 30 cal rifles, but do well with the AR.  It could still be used for hunting and I got thousands of rounds stored away and spare parts so I could keep it running for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I am curious, and hope people with "real world experiance" can chime in.  How reliable is/how much maintence is needed for an AR if you go say two months without resupply? (only what you can carry)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top