Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 2:19:43 AM EDT
Bottom falls out of thong market
John Elliott and Sarah Keenlyside
July 31, 2005
www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1714950,00.html
THONG sales have collapsed by nearly 20% in the past year, signalling a backlash against a symbol of “chav” culture.
The underwear was appropriated by mainstream fashion from its strip club origins. It made its way into women’s wardrobes after being flaunted by celebrities such as Victoria Beckham and Sophie Anderton.

Now, however, retail industry data indicate that sales nationally have fallen by 17% in one year. At some retailers the fall is even sharper: Harvey Nichols, the department store chain, sold 43% fewer thongs in April to June this year compared with 2004.

Fashion experts believe the thong is being rejected because women are looking for more comfortable and less revealing alternatives, such as cut-off “boy shorts”. It is part of a move away from overtly sexual clothing such as push-up bras, crop tops and low-cut jeans.

Doubts are even afflicting the most ardent champions of the thong, which consists of a small triangle of material at the front and a narrow strip reaching round to the waistband at the back, revealing the buttocks. Jodie Marsh, the model and reality TV star who has often been branded as a chav herself, agreed that despite her collection of more than 500 thongs, fashions were changing. “Showing your thong is a bit old now,” she said. “I’d rather have big knickers showing over the top of my jeans.”

Marsh, 26, is a member of one of the few age groups among whom sales of thongs have not fallen, according to the figures from TNS Fashion Trak, a market research company. For 25 to 34-year-olds sales are holding up, but for younger women other fashions have taken over. Similarly, older buyers have decided that the revealing lingerie may not be the most flattering.

Trinny Woodall, co- presenter of BBC1’s What Not To Wear, described women who wore thongs outside their trousers as “disgusting”. She said: “Older women have shied away from them because they have found alternatives. Maybe their bums are sagging a bit and they don’t want to see it when they take off their clothes.”

The thong used to be associated with dancing girls, Brazilian “beach babes” and questionable romantic gifts. In 1997, however, it won fashion respectability when a Gucci model wore one on the catwalk.

Soon afterwards Melanie Blatt, a singer with All Saints, was photographed flashing her thong as she got out of a taxi and Beckham disclosed that her husband enjoyed wearing her G-strings from time to time.

The underwear quickly caught on. The trend for showing them above the waistband was so popular that head teachers had to ban them. Even in France, traditionally seen as more liberal than Britain, the fashion for le string among young girls led to the banning of some G-string adverts.

At the height of the craze, towards the end of 2003, thongs accounted for 31% of the women’s underwear market. That figure has fallen to 23%.

Now, however, the thong’s association with “tabloid” celebrities has tarnished its image. In addition they are seen by growing numbers of women as unsexy and uncomfortable.

Peter York, the social commentator, said: “The string rose in tune with showing your belly. It was very much a thing of the past 10 years where women would wear low-cut jeans, crop tops and a visible thong. However brave men were about it, I think they were deeply shocked. It’s one thing to see Brazilian lovelies on beaches, but when full-bodied Tracy next door has a visible thong it’s really a bit too much information.”

Angela Buttolph, presenter of BBC TV’s forthcoming A Week of Dressing Dangerously, added: “You do associate them with Britney past her prime, Jordan and Paris Hilton, none of whom is particularly classy.”

The change in fashion was marked earlier this year by Elle Macpherson, 41, the Australian model, who launched her “afterwear”. She said: “G-strings are uncomfortable. Girls want real knickers now.”

Figures from Gossard, the underwear manufacturer, show that sales of tight “boy shorts” that cover the buttocks have risen by 172% in the past five years.

Sophie Anderton, the model at the forefront of Gossard’s G- string campaign in the 1990s, said she remained a devotee of the thong and kept her more comfortable knickers hidden at the back of her cupboard.

“The only time I would wear them is if my boyfriend wasn’t around,” she said.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:40:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Thongs are ugly, especially compared to traditional (french-cut?) panties.

Glad to see them going away.

Still using the big type, eh?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Still using the big type, eh?

Nope, switched back to size=2 for the main text, thanks for noticing  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:45:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks bigger to me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
It started to go down hill when they made them in size 30. (thats womens size)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:55:04 AM EDT
[#5]
some women do find them more comfortable.
No panty lines.
I ain't complaining.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:56:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Looks bigger to me.

and to think I counted you as one of the votes, heh
this is the original size two for the type size three for the headline and any parts I want to highlight
your comments were made about the size three type and size four headline, it is not going to get smaller than this
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:57:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No panty lines.
I ain't complaining.

I like panty lines, as long as it is not granny panty lines
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:07:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jodie Marsh, the model and reality TV star who has often been branded as a chav herself, agreed that despite her collection of more than 500 thongs, fashions were changing. “Showing your thong is a bit old now,” she said. “I’d rather have big knickers showing over the top of my jeans.”

In case you don't know what a "chav" is.........

www.chavscum.co.uk/
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:18:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like panty lines, as long as it is not granny panty lines

Same here. I actually find panty lines sexy and attractive. Always have.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:36:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Doubts are even afflicting the most ardent champions of the thong, which consists of a small triangle of material at the front and a narrow strip reaching round to the waistband at the back, revealing the buttocks. Jodie Marsh, the model and reality TV star who has often been branded as a chav herself, agreed that despite her collection of more than 500 thongs, fashions were changing. “Showing your thong is a bit old now,” she said. “I’d rather have big knickers showing over the top of my jeans.”

WTH is a "CHAV?"

ETA:  OOOPS.  I feel so much more enlightened now....  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok WG, we usually agree...

Thongs are ugly, especially compared to traditional (french-cut?) panties.

But I prefer thongs on my womenz, if you get the right fit they say they are comfortable, love the way I can stroke their naked bottom, it makes them feel sexier....maybe the stripper connection.

They do love how they feel under skirts and sundresses, that is a poll of 3.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Thongs and Push up bras out?  Havent seen the evidence myself.  My wife still uses them and so do the rest of the DHH's in Colombia
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#13]
 This news is horrible.  Not push-up bras, thorngs or low cut jeans.  At least this trend hasn't reached my neck of the woods yet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Let me be the first to say it;

This thread is worthless without Pics..
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:39:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Let me be the first to say it;

This thread is worthless without Pics..

my pic-fu is weak, maybe someone can help out a "little"
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Soon afterwards Melanie Blatt, a singer with All Saints, was photographed flashing her thong as she got out of a taxi and Beckham disclosed that her husband enjoyed wearing her G-strings from time to time.

Am I the only one that found that part particularly disturbing?

ETA: I hope they meant " enjoyed her wearing g-strings from time to time"
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't even notice that, I must have blocked it out
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:54:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow .  Whole new  meaning  to  Bend  it like Beckham.......
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#19]
still alive and well, click on Paris, Kentucky at Redneck Scrapbook
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:03:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow .  Whole new  meaning  to  Bend  it like Beckham.......

No kiddin, he always seemed to be rooting for the other team in my opinion. This pretty much confirms it for me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Thongs are sexy, but I think their use should be rather limited. I mean at the times when a woman wants to look sexy, fine. But for regular use, I think there has to be more comfortable alternatives. I can't imagine how any woman would want to go around daily with a little narrow strip of fabric over her coochie and embedded in her crack. Now, if she wanted to wear them at certain times to be sexy, that's different.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Bottom falls out of thong market
John Elliott and Sarah Keenlyside
July 31, 2005
www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1714950,00.html

..."Blah-blah drawers, blah-blah knickers, blah-blah underoos, You do associate them with Britney past her prime, Jordan and Paris Hilton, none of whom is particularly classy.” ...

Britney Spears is 23 years old.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:11:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Its a trap, unless you like fat chicks in g-strings
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't care either way, its still just underwear. The damn things are coming off one way or another.
I do think they lost their allure or appeal since they got so common place. They were once taboo, wife/girlfriend whatever had one pair, other wise had to go to the booby bar to see em. Now it's no big deal, kinda not fun anymore, need to come out with something else.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:25:30 AM EDT
[#25]
It's amazing no one has posted a thong picture ... yet
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:53:53 AM EDT
[#26]
im so fucking tired of the low cut jeans and thongs. Its gotten to so common place it bores the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:23:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a trap, unless you like fat chicks in g-strings

I dig it,  kinda makes you wanna stick your face in there and go " ttthhhhbbiittt".  Or am I just to lonely?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Yea what he said!!!

Nothing like seeing a thong stick out when a girls wearing low cut jeans

FREE

Quoted:
No panty lines.
I ain't complaining.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:42:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It's amazing no one has posted a thong picture ... yet

[emo]  For  you  [/emo]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top