Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 9:35:35 PM EDT
One of my cats have swollen cheeks right now and I'm wondering what's causing this. Other than the swollen cheeks he seems fine and healthy. Acts no different, same appetite, no change in behavior whatsoever. Should I even be worried?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Allergic reaction to something?  Is it an outside cat?  Maybe he got into something he shouldn't have?  

Good avice.  Absessed tooth is another common cause of swollen cheeks.  You should check carefully too to make sure the cat hasn't been in a fight.  

Patty
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
maybe he got into a fight and just got scratched.  my male cat likes to battle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes he's an outside cat. Spends %99 of his time outside. Should i be worried? His behavior hasn't changed and he doesn't seem to be having difficulty breathing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]
He gets misc. scratches often but it's usually not from another cat since he spends his time in our vast property.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
i would give hima day or two, and see how he is doing.  my cat has fixed his own minor problems himself many times.  since he is acting normal, i wouldnt worry too much
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Tenderness or an elevated temp would mean a visit to the vet, maybe not a bad idea already.   A close visual exam might show scratches.   Also I suppose gum disease is a possibility.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
"vast property"

any chance of snakebite?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
ya know, i must be really tired because i read the title as "fun with swedish chicks"
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
most likely , Stung by a bee. Same thing happened to my dog... she looked kinda strange for a few days. All OK now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]
May have gotten snake bit. Our dogs used to get bitten by copperheads occasionally. Their muzzles would swell up pretty bad.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Shouldn't be long now before Sgtar15 checks in and recommends shooting it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#13]
My older cats cheek swelled up and it was from an absesed tooth.  The tooth was removed and hes good to go.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#15]
A swollen face could be symptomatic of feline leukemia.

www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/resources/brochure/felv.html

What are the signs of disease caused by FeLV?

During the early stages of infection, it is common for cats to exhibit no signs of disease at all. However, over time—weeks, months, or even years—the cat's health may progressively deteriorate or be characterized by recurrent illness interspersed with periods of relative health. Signs can include:

Loss of appetite
Slow but progressive weight loss, followed by severe wasting late in the disease process
Poor coat condition
Enlarged lymph nodes
Persistent fever
Pale gums and other mucus membranes
Inflammation of the gums (gingivitis) and mouth (stomatitis)
Infections of the skin, urinary bladder, and upper respiratory tract
Persistent diarrhea
Seizures, behavior changes, and other neurological disorders
A variety of eye conditions
In unspayed female cats, abortion of kittens or other reproductive failures

Take the kitty into the vet and have it tested.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Take the cat straight to the vet. You dont want to wait and see if it gets worse. Have xrays done.
I lost a dear cat from an infection that develeped from having been struck by someones pellot gun.
No idea when he may have been shot, but feel it was  likely quite some time before the infection.

Could be periodontal, or even some organic poison. Get everything checked!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#17]
If it's enough to post on the internet about it's enough to go to vet about. Cats act normal long after a human with similar conditions would be on a morphine drip.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
most likely , Stung by a bee. Same thing happened to my dog... she looked kinda strange for a few days. All OK now.

+1

Could be.

My old dog just love to snap at bees and wasps... until he actually caught a yellow jacket and it stung him twice in the mouth. Result a lot of yelping, whining, and a swollen cheek.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#19]
His teeth are fine, no scratches, bites, etc. And we really don't have venmous snakes around here so that's not it. All of those other signs that has been posted in the thread are completely absent so it looks like nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#20]
If it's an abcess it's full of puss could be from animal bite or abcessed tooth.  If it's a tooth it's more serious, only way to know for sure is to take cat to the vet and he'll be put under anesthesia and the vet will check out his teeth and then deal with the abcess.  Had to take my poor cat to the vet Tuesday and they did exactly that.  They put in a drain tube which comes out today.  And I have to give him 2 antibiotic pills for 14 days straight, I just mix in with his food.

Drain tube on happy cat - semi graphic
drain tube 2 - semi graphic
drain tube 3 - semi graphic - cat is happy
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:53:45 AM EDT
[#21]
cats are too dumb to notice things like this
thats why I have them.

Gotta have something dumber than me in the house...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't squeeze it.  You might get sprayed with vile yellow-green pus.  Don't ask.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Could be lead poisoning

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If it's an abcess it's full of puss could be from animal bite or abcessed tooth.  If it's a tooth it's more serious, only way to know for sure is to take cat to the vet and he'll be put under anesthesia and the vet will check out his teeth and then deal with the abcess.  Had to take my poor cat to the vet Tuesday and they did exactly that.  They put in a drain tube which comes out today.  And I have to give him 2 antibiotic pills for 14 days straight, I just mix in with his food.

Drain tube on happy cat - semi graphic
drain tube 2 - semi graphic
drain tube 3 - semi graphic - cat is happy

Update, PeeWee is back from the vet, tube is out, no swollen cheeks, has an open wound from where the tube was, but he's all normal!  Looks a little funky having half his face shaved though
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like he put crabapples in his cheeks.

Why did he do that? Because he couldn't find horse chestnuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top