Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 8:09:24 PM EDT
So I live on floor 2 of a 3 floor apartment. Never have heard a peep from the people downstairs. Never even see them. The people upstairs are a different story. I love this apartment. It has been great but the people upstairs have been pretty loud at times. I know how little effort it takes into making noise above because I have lived in the same situation.

I have gone up once and spoke with the people about the noise. Uusually thumping around past 10 pm (when I'm trying to sleep cuz I get up around 5 am). This weekend however has been intolerable. I think there are at least 2 boys and maybe 2 girls living above with at least 2 adults in a 2 bedroom apartment. Friday someone decides to do a load of laundry at midnight. The drier is near my room above. Its pretty easy to hear the wet clothes flopping about. Then 5 am saturday i get woken up with the excited thuds of children. Its pretty damn hard to wake me up when I'm sound asleep. I live a few miles south of Dulles airport and the jets flying overhead haven't bothered me.

Tonight its going again. I've tried to stay clam the past couple of weeks but tonight its really out of control. I get dressed and go up there and knock on the door. Two middle-school aged boys answer the door and I basically tell them to knock it off. I think I can hear someone else in the apartment too but I didn't see any adults. At this point I'm pretty sure when I hear a high level of noise late that's theres no adults up there.

I guess my next step it to bring this up in the leasing office tomorrow when I pay my rent. This is really a top-notch place and they have been really excellent with service so we'll see how they answer this.

Either that or I just start shooting at the noises. Whether I hit anything or not I'm pretty sure that'll get things quiet.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I rented a basement apartment once, I will NEVER have someone living above me again. It was a nightmare. I rented it from my brother and he had two kids, I feel your pain. NEVER AGAIN!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Use the shotgun.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there any type of Law Enforcement where you live?
Ya know Police Department?  Sheriff's Department?

It is against the law to disturb the peace of someone else.  Time of day does not matter.
Make loud unreasonable noise at 2 PM or 6 PM or 2 AM or 6 AM it does not matter.  

If it does not stop tell the Officer that responds that you want to make a private person arrest.  Tell him if he will please fill out a citation, you would be happy to sign it as the "Arresting Officer".  He can be the "Issuing Officer".  You will have to go to court and testify, but it should get your message across.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely put the management on notice.  They have a duty to provide "quiet enjoyment" (or similar terms in most states) which usually means keeping the other tenants quiet in what are normally quiet times.  Get them to solve the problem.  Calling the po-po for this as a FIRST resort is overkill.  Now if the management can't or won't, then maybe you may need to deal directly with the parents. and then the PD.  

Then again talking to anybody about it pretty much eliminates the call to 911 reporting unknown trouble and screaming.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
You could start making a lot of noise to stirr them up.

I had a neighbor like that who would let their kids jump off the sofa onto the floor.

We got a 2x4 and started walking up and down the apartment at all hours day and night hitting the floor ceiling to just piss them off.

They would stomp on the floor and make a lot of noise.  It basically came down to battle of endurance and they lost
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard having the apartment under someone who has kids is the worst.  I can imagine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever your lease says, theirs is probably the same.  Document dates, times, etc. and report each incident.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel sorry for the people living below me.  When I visited my fiance's sister, we could hear every single step they took.  

That and someone up there thought it would be nice to vacuum at 7 on a Saturday morning, and also have a shouting match at 5 am on a Friday morning the next time I went.  I don't know how she deals with it.

The only problems I've had is with some tenants below me who would blast their stupid crap music all night long, on school nights no less.  They never got evicted, even though I'd seen the cops there on two occasions, I'm pretty sure a third one (of which I'm sure there was at some point) warrants eviction, but no such luck.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Start hitting the ceiling with a broom handle like the neighbor on Friends.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So I live on floor 2 of a 3 floor apartment. Never have heard a peep from the people downstairs. Never even see them. The people upstairs are a different story. I love this apartment. It has been great but the people upstairs have been pretty loud at times. I know how little effort it takes into making noise above because I have lived in the same situation.

I have gone up once and spoke with the people about the noise. Uusually thumping around past 10 pm (when I'm trying to sleep cuz I get up around 5 am). This weekend however has been intolerable. I think there are at least 2 boys and maybe 2 girls living above with at least 2 adults in a 2 bedroom apartment. Friday someone decides to do a load of laundry at midnight. The drier is near my room above. Its pretty easy to hear the wet clothes flopping about. Then 5 am saturday i get woken up with the excited thuds of children. Its pretty damn hard to wake me up when I'm sound asleep. I live a few miles south of Dulles airport and the jets flying overhead haven't bothered me.

Tonight its going again. I've tried to stay clam the past couple of weeks but tonight its really out of control. I get dressed and go up there and knock on the door. Two middle-school aged boys answer the door and I basically tell them to knock it off. I think I can hear someone else in the apartment too but I didn't see any adults. At this point I'm pretty sure when I hear a high level of noise late that's theres no adults up there.

I guess my next step it to bring this up in the leasing office tomorrow when I pay my rent. This is really a top-notch place and they have been really excellent with service so we'll see how they answer this.

Either that or I just start shooting at the noises. Whether I hit anything or not I'm pretty sure that'll get things quiet.

-Foxxz

WOW

That's the exact situation I had when I moved to Charlottesville in '99.
I loved our apartment but my upstairs neighbors had kids and were up every night until 12.
I had to get lawyers involved and threaten the management office if they didn't enforce the terms of the lease.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Too bad, they should not have to totally re-arrange thier reasonable lifestyle just to make you happy.  Walking, kids jumping and doing laundry is normal activity.

My suggestion is to get some custom molded ear plugs for sleeping at night.

thats what i did, some nice decent earplugs.  got tired of the battle..
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to live in the unit under one where a famous prize-fighter's heavy-footed son lived.  Sounded like he was wearing platform shoes. At times it got annoying, I'd complain, he'd lighten up.

Then a couple moved in next door.  Pretty weird, the guy always dressed like a priest without the collar, and the gal was a little different, but they were both usually polite.  Then one weekend they put on an LP that honestly sounded like people getting tortured.  The whole record was like that. They were gone before long.

The last problem was a "moaner" in the next-door BUILDING.  She liked to let the whole world hear more about her lesbian love life than anyone wanted to know.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Dude, I live a few mile south of Dulles in Guadalajara, Virginia also known as Manassas.  

There are laws about how many people can live in a two bedroom apartment.  Think they might be illegal?  Threaten to call the border patrol.  We all know they would laugh at you on the phone but the beaners don't know that for the most part.

You could also slash their car tires or put fishing line on the stairs for their kids to trip over.  

Also, if you can get into the plumbing;look up your toilet's ceiling directly above the 'shit-hole', you should be able to see some PVC pipes. There may be more than one pipes. Look at the big pipe directly about the shit hole ... it forms "U" shape (to contain water n prevent foul smells from reaching the toilet) and there is a cover or a screw-on cover on the side or its end.  Stuff some cloth inside them and stucking the whole plumbing. So when the neighbour flushes it overflows .

Let me know if I can help.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]
They are not illegal. I'm not asking them to change their lifestyle. Actually I'm hoping that things will quiet down once school starts up. I lived in both a bottom floor and top floor dorm in college so I am already used to similar noises and know what it takes to create the same. I'd be calling the dorm RA if this was going on at the dorm.

I've been pretty tolerant and I definatly don't mind it while I'm awake. Gonna talk to the leasing office today to see about it.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:05:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My suggestion is to get some custom molded ear plugs for sleeping at night.

Roll over and surrender. Why not jsut buy some anal lube and invite the whole family to violate you?

Personally, i say lob a few CS canisters through their window. That seems to get the point across. If nothing else, it gives you a efw good hours of sleep. That is, of course, after whining, crying stampede form the building.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
bring this up in the leasing office...

-Foxxz

next time do this first!  
that's what they get paid for.
your spending a lot of money to live in their apt.
it's time you got some service.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:03:24 AM EDT
[#19]

if they call the cops, just tell them that they shouldn't have given away their position
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

if they call the cops, just tell them that they shouldn't have given away their position

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a problem a few summers ago with the folks directly above us....they apparently had LARGE stereo speakers and they were blasting this techno drum blast sh%t all the time.

We didn't bother to go up to talk to them, but it stopped one day.  I think they moved out.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Kill them all.....Oops sorry, this isnt the spider thread....

Apartments suck, you are at the mercy of your neighbors, if the landlord won't do anything, move.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It is against the law to disturb the peace of someone else.  Time of day does not matter.
Make loud unreasonable noise at 2 PM or 6 PM or 2 AM or 6 AM it does not matter.  

If it does not stop tell the Officer that responds that you want to make a private person arrest.  Tell him if he will please fill out a citation, you would be happy to sign it as the "Arresting Officer".  He can be the "Issuing Officer".  You will have to go to court and testify, but it should get your message across.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Do you happen to know where the circuit panel is?

If so, don't mess with it whatever you do but it's good to know where it is in case of an emergency.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did you find funny?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm foxxz's apartmentmate.  I got the 1000 watt surround sound system and a guitar amp with a 4x12 speaker cab.  We could defenantly blast them out.  But that would piss off all the nice people around us.  Lately its been okay.  Office said that if we tell them to, they will send a notice.....then if it happens again they will send a more forcefull notice........if again then another one with threat of fines....then fines.

So it sounds like the office is serious about it.  But since they calmed down we have not gone that route yet.  But the kids used to be friendly torwards us, now we get the cold shoulder.

Oh the pain to my feelings that I don't get spoken to by a couple of middle schoolers.

They just better not get stupid and touch my truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top