Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 7:02:47 PM EDT
To make it grow lush and green.

I'm talking about fertilizer. Like that Scott's turf stuff.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Amonium Nitrate is like crack for your grass. Use lots of water.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Home Depot sold me some 16-16-16 fertilizer. Is that good?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer a old car on blocks
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
water
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Just thank God you dont have to mow it and be happy its brown.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's the best thing to put on my lawn?

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the best thing to put on my lawn?

joshuaink.com/images/45.jpg

Looks like he's making fertilizer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok you need nitrogen for grass which is the first number in a fertiler blend number . Quick ag lesson lets take grass fertiler blend I like to reckomend 16-4-8  ok heres the break down 16 means 16% ok the matrial is nitrogen good for leaf /greenry growth, theres 3 main ways to get nitrogen here in the states AN=46% amona nitrate in strait form fast acting but highly unstable will draw moisture and melt in the open air , Urea a 32 % nit matrial in strait form is the 2nd quickest acting nit matrial and a lot more stable then AN still will melt though , AS=amna sulfate is 21% matrial slower then the rest but alot more stable and contains 24% sulfer which lowers PH so you have to counter with lime to keep PH around 6 .  ok the 2nd place in a Fertilizer blend number is phosphate which is mainy used for stem and root growth but helps in over all plant health , 2 sources for phosphate are DAP a 18-46-00 that is made on the NC coast and triple a 00-46-00 no real diff in them except one has nitrogen in it the other doesnt. The last number in my blend is potash which is very good for fruiting and also good fo over al plant health. Now if you ever see a bag of fert that says somthing like 21-00-00-24  which is AS the 4th number is % of sulfer in a product. Sulfer will green stuff up and supress fungi but it lowers ph so any time you use fertilizer with alot of sulfer make sure you lime also. Lime takes 6 months before it realy starts to work a year before it peaks out so remeber that in your gardening plans.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Lawn jockey...pink flamingo?  You're asking the wrong person.  Some people have a green thumb, well I got a black thumb...it's the thumb of death for plants.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok you need nitrogen for grass which is the first number in a fertiler blend number . Quick ag lesson lets take grass fertiler blend I like to reckomend 16-4-8  ok heres the break down 16 means 16% ok the matrial is nitrogen good for leaf /greenry growth, theres 3 main ways to get nitrogen here in the states AN=46% amona nitrate in strait form fast acting but highly unstable will draw moisture and melt in the open air , Urea a 32 % nit matrial in strait form is the 2nd quickest acting nit matrial and a lot more stable then AN still will melt though , AS=amna sulfate is 21% matrial slower then the rest but alot more stable and contains 24% sulfer which lowers PH so you have to counter with lime to keep PH around 6 .  ok the 2nd place in a Fertilizer blend number is phosphate which is mainy used for stem and root growth but helps in over all plant health , 2 sources for phosphate are DAP a 18-46-00 that is made on the NC coast and triple a 00-46-00 no real diff in them except one has nitrogen in it the other doesnt. The last number in my blend is potash which is very good for fruiting and also good fo over al plant health. Now if you ever see a bag of fert that says somthing like 21-00-00-24  which is AS the 4th number is % of sulfer in a product. Sulfer will green stuff up and supress fungi but it lowers ph so any time you use fertilizer with alot of sulfer make sure you lime also. Lime takes 6 months before it realy starts to work a year before it peaks out so remeber that in your gardening plans.  

You lost me halfway through your post
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The blood of your foes, whom you've crushed and driven before you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I guess I should have decided to become an agronomist in VA - I could have skipped college
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I suck at gramma and spelling , but I can get crops to grow on beach sand lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I suck at gramma and spelling , but I can get crops to grow on beach sand lol

Wish we were neighbors, my lawn is hanging on by a thread. There is a guy who lives down the block, he is out there constantly doing lawn stuff. Everybody talks shit about how crazy he is about his lawn, but you know what, he has the best damn lawn in the community, it's absolutely PERFECT.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn! You made it halfway?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#18]
It depends on your soil.  I spoke with a guy up here who manages the greens at a local golf course, and he suggested fertilome with iron.  So far, I have the best looking lawn on the block.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for blowing the curve palmer
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#20]
16-16-16

Nitrogen-Phosphorus-sulfur

Up-Down-Around

adjust  to requirements.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#21]
shit
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
16-16-16

Nitrogen-Phosphorus-sulfur potassium

Up-Down-Around

adjust  to requirements.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#23]
15-5-10
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for blowing the curve palmer

Sorry
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The blood of your foes, whom you've crushed and driven before you.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#26]
40 pounds of composted cow manure per 100 square feet.  This is DRY weight.  Nothing better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
40 pounds of composted cow manure per 100 square feet.  This is DRY weight.  Nothing better.

OMG! I could just picture my neighbors face when a delivery truck starting dumping errr.........that shit at my house. But, hell, if it works.............
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Dead Zombies          lots of them
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:13:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Kinda late for fertilizer, at least here in NE.  Be careful in midsummer so you don't burn your lawn up.  Next time I fertilize will be with a winterizer in the fall.

I generally I use Scott's.  Sometime Lebanon b/c it's cheaper.  I really like Scott's though and find the quality is excellent.  I used the Home Depot brand (Vigaro?) out back for some areas I'm not too particular with and didn't like it.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#30]
According to my drill sergeant and the Song of the Bayonet, one should use blood, blood, blood to make the grass grow. One should use guts, guts, guts to make the grass turn green.

I think you have to apply with a bayonet or something.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG! I could just picture my neighbors face when a delivery truck starting dumping errr.........that shit at my house. But, hell, if it works.............

Composted cow manure has no smell.  And dried, composted cow manure looks like a dark, brown topsoil.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#32]
You all worry about your lawns?
Turn in your man cards,and get thee to an Oprah taping.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#33]
arsenic
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I use the Scott's turf builder stuff.  You can apply it any time and it's not supposed to burn your lawn.  I've never had a problem.  They have a different bag for each season, so use that.  The turf builder will green up your lawn in a day or two.  I usually dump it on at night right before it rains.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow! Twice in one day.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/

Yeah, it's aimed at NC but it'll work anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Pink lawn flamingos.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Lawn jockeys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top