Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 5:25:35 PM EDT
Can anyone besides the dog understand Stewie when he talks?

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe Brian (the dog) can understand him.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I always do.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
As I understand it, only Bryan can understand Stewie, but anyone can understand Bryan.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can anyone besides the dog understand Stewie when he talks?

Yes and no.

I have heard Peter make a comment
based on something Stewie has said.

Actually, why am I talking about this...
they own a talking dog - I doubt that
reality and continuity have much place
in the script.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Maxim interviewed Stewie last winter, and asked him this question.  He didn't really answer, basically just said if they could hear him, they were too stupid to comprehend him.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Its one of the things that adds to the show to make it funny. Their are a few episodes in which a charcater asks if the family can understand stewie. So if the writers dont know, then no one knows.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The character of Stewie came from Seth McFarlane's nephew, who was a little toddler.  Seth was leaving from a visit to his sister/brother's house and said goodbye to his toddler nephew.  The kid replied "I'll see you in hell!"

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes it seems like they can't.
Sometimes it seems like they can.
And sometimes it seems like they can, but not in the same way we hear it (they hear it as baby talk I guess).

*shrug*
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
They can understand him, they just choose to play it off like he's just being suilly even though he's talking about killing Lois or his plan for world domination.

Brian knows what's up, though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
They asked that question in one of their own episodes.

I don't remember the episode, but at the end of it there was a scene where a bunch of people in the future are in a spaceship and reviewing the episode they just watched (like it was a history lesson) and someone asked "so, uh, can they like not understand the baby or something?"
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]
according to the commentary, they've decided they can understand him, but don't take him seriously because he's a baby.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Other babies can understand Stewie and his older brother Chris can understand him too. I think that if you are an adult, he just sounds like baby gibberish to your ears.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top