Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 1:08:28 PM EDT
About freakin time!!! S! Brits

Finger points to British intelligence as al-Qaeda websites are wiped out

Quote:
"Over the past fortnight Israeli intelligence agents have noticed something distinctly odd happening on the internet. One by one, Al-Qaeda’s affiliated websites have vanished until only a handful remain, write Uzi Mahnaimi and Alex Pell.
Someone has cut the line of communication between the spiritual leaders of international terrorism and their supporters. Since 9/11 the websites have been the main links to disseminate propaganda and information.

The Israelis detect the hand of British intelligence, determined to torpedo the websites after the London attacks of July 7.

The web has become the new battleground of terrorism, permitting a freedom of communication denied to such organisations as the IRA a couple of decades ago.

One global jihad site terminated recently was an inflammatory Pakistani site, www.mojihedun.com, in which a section entitled How to Strike a European City gave full technical instructions. Tens of similar sites, some offering detailed information on how to build and use biological weapons, have also been shut down. However, Islamic sites believed to be “moderate”, remain.

One belongs to the London-based Syrian cleric Abu Basir al-Tartusi, whose www.abubaseer.bizland.com remained operative after he condemned the London bombings.

However, the scales remain weighted in favour of global jihad, the first virtual terror organisation. For all the vaunted spying advances such as tracking mobile phones and isolating key phrases in telephone conversations, experts believe current technologies actually play into the hands of those who would harm us.

“Modern technology puts most of the advantages in the hands of the terrorists. That is the bottom line,” says Professor Michael Clarke, of King’s College London, who is director of the International Policy Institute.

Government-sponsored monitoring systems, such as Echelon, can track vast amounts of data but have so far proved of minimal benefit in preventing, or even warning, of attacks. And such systems are vulnerable to manipulation: low-ranking volunteers in terrorist organisations can create background chatter that ties up resources and maintains a threshold of anxiety. There are many tricks of the trade that give terrorists secure digital communication and leave no trace on the host computer.

Ironically, the most readily available sources of accurate online information on bomb-making are the websites of the radical American militia. “I have not seen any Al-Qaeda manuals that look like genuine terrorist training,” claims Clarke.

However, the sobering message of many security experts is that the terrorists are unlikely ever to lose a war waged with technology."  

[http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1715166,00.html]LINK
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
well isn't that nice!  The Isrealis were kind enough to let everyone know who did it.......
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Ironically, the most readily available sources of accurate online information on bomb-making are the websites of the radical American militia.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Ironically, the most readily available sources of accurate online information on bomb-making are the websites of the radical American militia.

USA!USA!USA!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
well isn't that nice!  The Isrealis were kind enough to let everyone know who did it.......

Do you suppose that was a "red herring" to divert attention from Mossad?  They certainly are capable. And they could do it from the UK.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
There's at least one poster on Glocktalk upset about it, calling it censorship.

Kid you not.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Good thing the USA has actual control of the internet. If it was any other country, they would shut it down for sure depending on which way the political winds were blowing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
About time. They need to crash these sites as fast as they come up. The terrorists are using these sites to communicate with their cells thru coded messages. IF we can shut them down it would be a win for the good guys.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
should be done on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Kid you not.

I agree with him.  We have something called freedom of speech in this country.

The government should not be allowed to decide who can say what, plain and simple.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

The government should not be allowed to decide who can say what, plain and simple.

Since when does freedom of speech apply in the case of terrorists who are planning attacks??????
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
About time. They need to crash these sites as fast as they come up. The terrorists are using these sites to communicate with their cells thru coded messages. IF we can shut them down it would be a win for the good guys.

And the good guys have known about this since 9-11 as far as I know. In November of 2001 I attended a SANS institute training and met a man who was into Stegography - the hiding of data in photographs - and he stated that the Al Qaeda web site they were monitoring had one picute who's CRC value would change every hour but the picture wouldn't. They were encoding stuff deep inside the picture.

The NSA I would assume would be decrypting their stuff. I would be surprised otherwise. They need to keep the pictures public so that they're easy to find and start decryption on. I have used Stego for the last five years to keep my "secret" privacy information - credit cards, license plates, driver's license, etc. on-line in a public photo hosting area. You need to know which picture, which stego program and which password to open the whole mess up.

I had heard also these sites come up fast on certain days and then the terrorists bring them down. Also they are using ISP masking.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

Since when does freedom of speech apply in the case of terrorists who are planning attacks??????

or extended to other countries , most of those web sites  were not originated in the usa.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the good guys have known about this since 9-11 as far as I know. In November of 2001 I attended a SANS institute training and met a man who was into Stegography - the hiding of data in photographs - and he stated that the Al Qaeda web site they were monitoring had one picute who's CRC value would change every hour but the picture wouldn't. They were encoding stuff deep inside the picture.

The NSA I would assume would be decrypting their stuff. I would be surprised otherwise. They need to keep the pictures public so that they're easy to find and start decryption on. I have used Stego for the last five years to keep my "secret" privacy information - credit cards, license plates, driver's license, etc. on-line in a public photo hosting area. You need to know which picture, which stego program and which password to open the whole mess up.

what's the difference between
stenography
stegography
steganography  

?

is one the correct term for hiding data inside medial ike pictures and audio?

all the same thing?

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steganography is easy to crack in many cases.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

Even if that Involves Terrorist savages planning attacks on the US and UK (et all)

Am I missing something here

Taffy
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I have some stego programs, even posted a test here at arfcom once
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

al-Qaeda is the enemy.

That means we shut off their communications.
We blow up their buildings.
We step on their heads.
We don't say "please", we don't say "thank you."
...and we don't afford them the rights of a US citizen.

Nitwit.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

Has nothing to do with this country.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#20]
That's the same thought process of some of these ultra-libs. Let's give insurgents recognized by the Geneva Conventions as having no rights(military foce is required to wear distinct uniforms and carry arms openly to distinguish themselves as a military force afforded the rights of POW's) granted special privelages. Why do these very same morons want to try them in American civil courts that are meant solely for American citizens and aren't even afforded to American servicemembers? Do they plan on putting them in American prisons to recruit more terrorists? This is insanity!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

Do I even have to tell you in detail why this statement doesn't apply to this situation?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

al-Qaeda is the enemy.

We step on their heads.

Nitwit.

Well said, friend.

TXL
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

al-Qaeda is the enemy.

We step on their heads.

Nitwit.

+1

I wonder, when the next attack comes, will people like Dace and the dumbfuck on GT denounce the government for not stopping it before it happened?

Oh, ETA:

Freedom of speech does not allow for the incitement or advocation of violence. Last I knew, our peace and freedom loving friends at AQ did nothing but that in fact.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

All I can say is WTF is wrong with you?
Terrorists are not entitled to our constitutional rights while residing in another country.
If you want them covered then arrest every single one and have them hanged for sedition.

You simply can't have it all ways.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Im not sure what it means but: while http://www.mojahedin.com is dead...

http://www.mojahedin.org/ is functional

It appears to be written in Farsi (Iranian)

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#29]
All I can say is congrats to whoever took these sites down. Fuck those Jihadist bitches! They have been OWNED!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#30]
NAS NSA NAS !!!!  WOOPS, USA USA USA !!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds a little funny. I wonder why any government would bother to take them down. With the resources of a first world government behind me, I'd figure out where they were actually hosted, and find the people controlling them. Easy link to the fringes of the terrorist movement. With a little surveillance and cleverness, we could track it back to the people giving the orders and their whole communications chain. Compromise critical people and systems, get our people way inside, pretty much own them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paul's right. Don't get your undies in a wad, people. I have a little perspective on this from the industry side, and these sites are allowed to remain for a reason.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

Even if that Involves Terrorist savages planning attacks on the US and UK (et all)

Am I missing something here

Taffy

Yes, if you are a "progressive" ACLU type. We sure wouldn't want to offend any sheep lib, would we?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Finger points to British intelligence as al-Qaeda websites are wiped out

The Israelis detect the hand of British intelligence, determined to torpedo the websites after the London attacks of July 7.

It's the 'British' way…

ANdy

I say, good show!!!!

This shoulda been done a LONG time ago.  I would suspect the US did NOT do this due to the VERY issues troubling this thread.  Some upper eschelon folks probably didn't want to incur the whining and squealing of a bunch of liberal filth.  I must admit that hearing liberals screeching all the live long day is rather annoying so I kind of see the point.  I do hope you Brits are involved and I wish you folks the best of luck.  Thanks for not worry about the whining and for takin' care of buisness.

Git r' done!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#36]
ILL would've had some fun with this
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#37]
The US could shut these down in a second. I believe they leave them operating to track terrorists, their movement, etc.  More to gain by leaving them alone than by shutting them down.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid you not.

True however if the website is not based in the US who really givs two shits.

Basicly what you just said is that we shouldn't shut down one means of communication that they use to plan, and give the go orders for attacks from. Last I checked the first amendment(if said sight was in the US) doesn't cover telling somone to go out and kill people, but rather it protects "political speech" ordering somone to kill people is not political speech at all.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top