Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 6:59:43 AM EDT
Is possession of a Holy Bible illegal in any middleastern countries?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Yes, Saudi Arabia.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Not sure about middle east but in china that is a capital offense for selling and big time trouble for having one.

www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Bible+illegal+in+china
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Your title scared me. I thought the ACLU finally got their way.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1 And Hillary Clinton would be revealed as the anti-Christ.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#7]
IBTM

in before topic is moved  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#8]
So why can't a legal question be asked on this forum?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the chinese thing is a politcal thing. They don't want the chinese to be influenced by "outsiders" like the pope and they dont understand thet there are like 10000 different types of Christians. So they have official groups that are sanctioned but others are persecuted for political reasons. weird country.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do I move this to the Religious or Legal forum then?

Doesn't really matter.  You will kill it either way.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOu have to figure out how to have every other post go to each forum.....
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, EVIL books the both of them. Many a childs brain was addled and the child strayed onto the path of evil.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I noticed that the most recent banning is 20 years ago. All bannings were done in schools (a controlled enviorment of minors) not to the general public at large. And no one was arrested, tried and imprisioned for possession.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, Saudi Arabia.

Aren't jews also illegal there, along with many other muslim nations.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

neither, you leave it here where it belongs.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Tagged for the  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I find it a little tiresome when people refer to books like the ones on the linked lists as "banned" or "censored." The reference is either profoundly confused or overtly dishonest. In all likelihood, the proper description is "muddleheaded." The action undertaken is the crabwalking of tiny minds on a desperate search for equivalence between unlike things.

I don't have a copy of Mein Kampf at my house. Despite the fact that it is superior to what they have now and can be bought used for less than $100, my kid's school library does not have a copy of the 1955 Webster's Unabridged Dictionary. None of the school libraries around here has The State vs the People, Unintended Consequences, or Enemies Foreign and Domestic on the shelves. The Bluebook of Gun Values is missing, too. The don't have SGN or Flayderman's catalog in the periodicals section, either. Those publications are neither banned nor censored. The failure to purchase a given book, or disposing of a book after its acquisition, or giving parents a veto over their children's reading material neither censors nor bans anything.

Running Bibles through shredders when they're found by government agents, and criminalizing the possession and distribution of Bibles (or Catcher in the Rye or Huck Finn) or subjecting books and articles to governmental editing are examples of censorship.

Here's a news flash for you, Paul. You want to know what happens if you "try using George Orwell's 1984 in the Round Rock Texas independent school district." I have the answer for you, based on the source you apparently failed to read: you get to use the book.  In the single cited instance involving the Round Rock Texas independent school district and Orwell's 1984, the book was assigned by a schoolteacher for reading. One student's parents objected, and a different book was assigned, apparently to that student. It's always a good idea to read the material before lapsing into hysteria.

No book on either of the lists was banned or censored. No one went to jail for reading, writing, publishing or selling any book. No child was punished for reading a book. You fell hook, line, and sinker for a deliberate distortion, and passed it on uncritically. RIF, Paul. RIF.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#24]
There is a huge difference between a book being deemed not appropriate for a classroom by a local school district and making a book illeagal under the laws of a country. Big difference!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The ACLU would fight a law that made bibles illegal.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Sure they would. We all know how pro-Christian they are.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't really matter.  You will kill it either way.

Keep trying to sneak Religious questions into the GD and they will get killed as they should be, like any other trolling or off topic post.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

ACLU: We don't hate religion, just Christianity!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:42:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I think the chinese thing is a politcal thing. They don't want the chinese to be influenced by "outsiders" like the pope and they dont understand thet there are like 10000 different types of Christians. So they have official groups that are sanctioned but others are persecuted for political reasons. weird country.

Must be why they changed the ending of the latest Harry Potter book. Don't want those Western wizards influencing their people's workers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top