Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2005 9:09:17 AM EDT
I have been trying to watch all the movies on the 100 best movies of all time list.  I rented Clockwork Orange thinking it sounded decent.

And it sucked so bad I turned it off 20 minutes into the movie.

I just dont get how some people truly beleive this might bet he greatest movie of all time or close to the top.  What am I missing?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Well for starters you are missing most of the movie which would need to be viewed to understand the movie.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What am I missing?

The rest of the movie.

Kubrick movies aren't typically linear as far as the story arc goes, and CW is certainly no exception. You have to watch the whole movie. You may still not like it, but at least you will have seen the entire work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well for starters you are missing most of the movie which would need to be viewed to understand the movie.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
The list is based on opinion. If you didn't like it, no sweat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#6]
You have to hang in there to fully appreciate the film.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#7]
gotta get stoned first.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#8]
The underlying themes of modern socialization or lack thereof are universal and applicable to any generation.  It's a comment on how close we really are to a state of survival and that man's best attempts at curing the beast within will only temporarily obscure his true nature.  

Beyond that, it's creepy.  The reason you turned it off is probably one of the reasons it's been so effective at conveying it's message.  It probably made you uncomfortable.  If you didn't pay attention enough to get what was going on, try again.  It's not some Sunday afternoon mindless chick flick that you can keep one eye on, you really will have to pay attention especially if you want to pick up on Burgess's language play.  In the book, there's a glossary-that may help you along.

bd
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't get it the first time around (when it first came out), and I still don't get it.

I think it was intended to be watched while taking LSD.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#10]
It also helps to have a "love" for the ole' "Ultraviolence"!

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought it sucked.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That is true. I'm not sure I'd put Clockwork in the Top 100 and I'd remove about half the titles on the list.

And the problem isn't it is or isn't a good movie but that if you only watch the first 20 minutes you may miss what is a good movie. How many movies would suck if you only watched the first 20 minutes?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Walked out on Clockwork Orange?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is true. I'm not sure I'd put Clockwork in the Top 100 and I'd remove about half the titles on the list.

And the problem isn't it is or isn't a good movie but that if you only watch the first 20 minutes you may miss what is a good movie. How many movies would suck if you only watched the first 20 minutes?

I agree up to a point. However, there is a certain point where you can cut your losses and move on. About 20 to 30 minutes of Natural Born Killers was enough for me. I should have walked out on HHGTTG sooner.

Come to think about it, I actually wasted more time than missed good movies.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't like it either, it sucked.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#16]
you guys must be out of your mind or seriously ghey to not like that movie......
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought it was a really weird movie....but I still liked it.  I really like Kubrick films.  Although the book was better, I would buy the movie in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
you guys must be out of your mind or seriously ghey to not like that movie......

The movie makes some good points...

But it sucks ass...

BTW, I think Lord of the Rings sucks too...
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree up to a point. However, there is a certain point where you can cut your losses and move on. About 20 to 30 minutes of Natural Born Killers was enough for me. I should have walked out on HHGTTG sooner.

I hated Natural Borm Killers. One of the worst ever. I was with friends who wnated to stay for the whole thing though.

What is HHGTTG?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the difference is Clockwork is known to be a bit more than Natural Born Killers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#21]
That movie is classic. You really have to put it the timeframe it was put out in. There was nothing like it before, very shocking. I'm not sure there's been much like it since.
You really need to finish the movie before you pan it.

Now I need to go do some of the old in out, in out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#22]
"A Clockwork Orange" was one of those movies, like "Se7en""Natural Born Killer's""Pulp Fiction",ect., where I found myself thinking WTF am I watching this crap for. Then when the movie's were over, I ended up thinking, that was a totally intense movie!!

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hated Natural Borm Killers. One of the worst ever. I was with friends who wnated to stay for the whole thing though.

What is HHGTTG?

HitchHiker's Guide To They Galaxy.

Give me the BBC version anyday.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the difference is Clockwork is known to be a bit more than Natural Born Killers.

I agree Clockwork is better regarded. That wasn't the point. My point was it only takes a person so long before they realize they don't like something.

Kinda like acquired tastes. If it tastes bad why would I keep putting it in my mouth to acquire a taste for it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I agree Clockwork is better regarded. That wasn't the point. My point was it only takes a person so long before they realize they don't like something.

Kinda like acquired tastes. If it tastes bad why would I keep putting it in my mouth to acquire a taste for it?

Understood. And I bailed on Natural Born Killers in the same way.

But say for example you bailed on Soylent Green without seeing the ending. You would just think it is a stupid movie about a bleak future due to overpopulation and food shortages.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#26]
meh
I did watch the whole thing and was wondering why it's so hyped
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Drink lots of milk while you're watching it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Understood. And I bailed on Natural Born Killers in the same way.

But say for example you bailed on Soylent Green without seeing the ending. You would just think it is a stupid movie about a bleak future due to overpopulation and food shortages.

Very true. Excellent movie. Luckily my step-father made me watch the whole thing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I didn't get it either.  I don't do drugs though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Drink lots of milkplus while you're watching it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Ask yourself this:

If the main character of this movie, instead of being "handsome" and in good physical shape, was ugly and fat, would you still be inclined to like him as he commits crimes like rapes and robberies, and in general makes life unpleasant for good people (even to the point of destroying their lives, like the old man)?

Well, would you?

Alex and his droogies should have been captured and summarily executed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ask yourself this:

If the main character of this movie, instead of being "handsome" and in good physical shape, was ugly and fat, would you still be inclined to like him as he commits crimes like rapes and robberies, and in general makes life unpleasant for good people (even to the point of destroying their lives, like the old man)?

Well, would you?

You don't have to like alex and probably won't  to appreciate the central theme of the movie, i.e., whether society would be better off if we could reprogram crininal behavior.

We would have the benefits, but would lose free will as individuals, in effect, dehumanizing us.
Leading to the implied question about euthenasia, er euthinazia, er mercy killing of the old and retarded.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Criminals should be euthanized, not old or sick people.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry but I found it horrible.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I think everyone should watch it just once so you can look at somebody who saw it and say "wow thats a messed up movie.
I told my girlfriend it was good and she was not pleased with it.

Only thing that was good was the music. I like classical.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I loved it.  The imagery, the vision and ideas underlying the plot, the dialogue, the casual brutal violence.  Most people don't like unusual, arty or unconventional films.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#37]
<<<---------
One of my favorites!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Ask yourself this:

Well, would you?

You liked Alex?!?

He was a vicious fucktard. I don't think anyone is suppossed to like him. That wasn't the point of the movie.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#39]
It was worth watching once.

I like the way the droogies turned out to be cops, reminds me of some asshats I went to high school with that later turned out to be LEOs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#40]
The point of a Clockwork Orange (to me) was that we waste resources and time rehabilitaing criminals.

Why does he deserve a second chance?  Why should we reprogram a vicious animal?

Thanks Stanley Kubrick for the most perfect exampleof why we need a death penalty.

Just shoot them.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Kubrick is overrated
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Why?

We are still discussing it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#44]
That movie was awesome! The criminals were sickening, but at times it was humorus, especially the fight between the cat lady and alex weilding a GCP. (Giant, Ceramic, well, you know the last one..)
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Kubrick is overrated

Yes and his films over hyped.

However I still think 2001 was brilliant, The Shining really good and I enjoyed Clockwork.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh the irony.
To walk out of a movie where the protagonist is forced to watch one.
Thats deep, man.
It is a classic, not all classics are "entertaining" in the normal way.
Kubrick forced thought through his use of the medium of film.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Oh the irony.
To walk out of a movie where the protagonist is forced to watch one.
Thats deep, man.

It is a classic, not all classics are "entertaining" in the normal way.
Kubrick forced thought through his use of the medium of film.

Damn you are good. I missed that one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
It was worth watching once.

I like the way the droogies turned out to be cops, reminds me of some asshats I went to high school with that later turned out to be LEOs.

[Alex encounters his old friends, who are now police]
Alex: It's impossible! I can't believe it!
Georgie: Evidence of the ol' glassies! Nothing up our sleeves, no magic little Alex! A job for two who are now of job age! The police!

Too often the truth!

Had an American/English Lit teacher in HS who had recently watched ACO on cable & "didn't get it".    
In her class we spent a month or three on "The Scarlet Letter" delving into metaphors, allegories, subtext & whatnot but she couldn't figure out the point of the movie?  

It's on my "DVDs to buy" list but I wouldn't say I like it.  Not exactly a fun, lighthearted romp for the whole family.
Great soundtrack though.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#49]
You guys still don't get it. Let me try again.

You say Alex and his pals were not "likable" but you DO like him. You think he's COOL fer crissakes...Here you are, quoting him, laughing at how he brutalizes a woman before he rapes her.

Picture your mom in that scene.

Picture an ebonics spewing homeboy in the role of Alex.

You were manipulated into liking this movie. Wake up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Another thing I forgot to note, is the fact that each of his crimes comes to haunt him after his "rehabilitation". Truly got what he deserved. Also, his own interpertaion of the Bible (In prison)  is twisted in a darkly humorous way, but hey, I'm sick like that!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top