Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2001 5:43:41 AM EDT
You start with a .50 BMG shell casing, then you find or make a sabot to hold lets say 85 grain 5.56 mm projectial, then comes the powder,.......so, how many grains of and what type of powder????????????

Any of you know how fast this type of setup would clock?

Any sunday thoughts on this one, besides say I am crazy?
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Yea.....I'd say your crazy alright![:o)]

I'm not an expert, but that damn bullet would be going so freaking fast it just might burn up inside the barrel!![:\]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The military already uses a .50 BMG firing a .30 sabot.  The round is spin stabilized and has a MV of about 4100 FPS.  4100 FPS is about the max current propellants can drive a spin stabilized projectile with any degree of accuracy.

The key to going faster is found by going from a rifled bore back to the smooth bore.  The M1 tank fires a fin stabilized sabot projectile with a MV around 5000 FPS out of a smooth bore.  The next step, I think, will be a tapered smooth bore, non-fin (less drag) projectile, combined with advanced multiple stage (variable burn rate)propellants.  Unless of course we go to light weight electromagnetic rail guns or lazer technologies.

Anybody with a few million $ want to gamble on a new non-fin stabilized sabot, tapered smooth bore project?  I  have had a few designs in mind for quite some time!!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Is that a .30 cal A.P. bullet?  Peach.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yea.....I'd say your crazy alright![:o)]

I'm not an expert, but that damn bullet would be going so freaking fast it just might burn up inside the barrel!![:\]

sgtar15
View Quote

Yep, I admit I may be crazy, but it is fun! Now to see how much _______ it can eat throught!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#5]
you do something like that you better have a barrel made with like a 1:30 inch twist rate.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah...
You'd melt the fucking sabot, and likely the slug unless you were using depleted uranium.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
There are 50 cal sabots that bring the projectile down to 30 cal then you use a 30 cal sabot which goes down to 22, these are all fully procurable products on the market, thing is I have no idea how well this idea would work, I'm guessing the velocity would get too high and the projectile might expand prematurely in the air from the pressure, unless you make it out of steel such as tungsten which would be stupid because if you could do that then you would be better off taking a 50 cal sabot in 30cal and making a 30 cal tungsten needle to put in it, this would give you a mil spec SLAP round.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a few of the .30 sabots laying around that I can load with some 5.56mm ammo.  However, it would be fired out of my .300 win mag & I don't know if it'd work well.  I'd really need to down load the powder.  As it stands now, I load .30 AP & it fires out @ 3250!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not a 5.56 55 FMJ sabot through a 16" gun?(IOWA class) railgunspeeds?
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
Why not a 5.56 55 FMJ sabot through a 16" gun?(IOWA class) railgunspeeds?
View Quote

I do believe it would evaporate at those speeds, but tinkering is fun!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually the velocity would be lmited by how fast current propellent expands.something in the 6-7000 fps range I think.Anyone know?

How fast the gas from current propellent expands
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top