Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2005 2:38:38 PM EDT
Anyone just catch Lou Dobbs on CNN? Culberson was on discussing this bill he is sponsoring in Congress. He wants to enlist the help of volunteers to do much of the same things the Minutemen are doing, but give them much more authority. He says they would be deputized and work under local law enforcement.  He also said they would be exercising their right to bear arms and would be able to use them if needed.

I like the sound of this. I just wonder how much support it will have in Congress? We should once again call or write our elected officials and let them know we support this (if of course you do support it). Personally, I like the sound of this more than anything I've heard lately, especially since the Brown Berets have started making threats of violence toward the Minutemen.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been searching for a copy of the proposed bill (or at least plan, not sure at what stage this is at) but so far I'm not turning up much. Does anyone have the particulars on this? I caught the interview in progress, so I'm not sure how much I missed. But I must say I liked what I heard.

I know Culberson has been a friend of gun owners. So I'm sure we'll approve of how he wants to handle this too.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds suspicious to me... deputizing them meaning they have no choice but to do what they say......

then he can eliminate the regular minutemen saying there's no need for them anymore and their activities would be considered "illegal gang activity" or whatever it is they puke out these days as an excuse to infringe on the right to freedom of assembly.

then give the order to the deputized militia "ok you are hereby ordered to stop what you're doing and go home or you'll be fined"

end of minutemen problem according to democrats.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Has he cleared this w/ Jorge?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Intersting
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
sounds suspicious to me... deputizing them meaning they have no choice but to do what they say......

then he can eliminate the regular minutemen saying there's no need for them anymore and their activities would be considered "illegal gang activity" or whatever it is they puke out these days as an excuse to infringe on the right to freedom of assembly.

then give the order to the deputized militia "ok you are hereby ordered to stop what you're doing and go home or you'll be fined"

I don't think so. He's as clearly pissed off about this as we are and wants something done about it. Also, I see this as having no effect on the Minutemen. If they can do what they do now legally, then they could continue to do so if they wished.

However, the militia he is talking about would be able to do far more than the Minutemen. He also wants them armed and given permission to shoot should it become necessary.

Doesn't sound like what you're suggesting at all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the results of tonight's poll conducted on this topic:

Do you support Rep. Culberson's bill to create a federal border protection corps made up of citizen volunteers?

Yes
85%
479 votes

No
15%
82 votes

Total: 561 votes

If you wanna vote, the poll is at the top, left portion of this page:

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
A California assemblyman (believe it is Assemblyman Ray Haynes (R) Murrieta) is proposing a California State Border Patrol recently.

One of my buddies got one of those mailers that politicos send out once in a while that was calling for such to be set up.  Unfortuantely there was little to no info on what it woudl entail.  Also called for State funds to complete the border fence since the feds don't seem to want to pay for it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A California assemblyman (believe it is Rep. Ray Haynes (R) Murrieta) is proposing a California State Border Patrol recently.

One of my buddies got one of those mailers that politicos send out once in a while that was calling for such to be set up.  Unfortuantely there was little to no info on what it woudl entail.  Also called for State funds to complete the border fence since the feds don't seem to want to pay for it.

That's good to hear. It's nice to know this issue is creating a bigger and bigger stink as it goes. If we do our part in contacting our elected officials, perhaps we can get something done. Our senators and representatives will be tempted to act appropriately if they know that a large body of voters are pissed about this, want action taken and will vote based on this issue.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually, I think we have a rare instance of .gov doing what it should be doing.  The government is "regulating" the militia in the proper sense - making it more effective in a time of need.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Agreed Cynic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#11]
yes
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Personally, I like the sound of this more than anything I've heard lately, especially since the Brown Berets have started making threats of violence toward the Minutemen.

I found a group that is reporting on anti-"immigrant" groups, lots of good info on who to support

www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=11075
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Just wait until the .gov agents show up and rail against the silly idea of giving ordinary citizens a stake in guarding the border of their property and country.

After all, that's a job for the professionals, remember?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If this is not what you are talking about, on Fox it usually takes a day
for the transcripts to be put online, it may show up tomorrow

Crushing innovation
By Lou Dobbs
CNN
Friday, July 29, 2005
www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/28/nixing.proposal/index.html
CNN) -- When is a great idea about securing our nation's porous borders not a great idea? Surprisingly, when it comes from the country's top border official.

In a truly stunning development, Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Robert C. Bonner last week announced to reporters he thinks a voluntary patrol made up of concerned and organized citizens along our broken borders is an idea worth exploring.

Commissioner Bonner said he welcomes "the eyes and ears of citizens who help us gain control of our borders." He also applauded the Minutemen Project volunteers for acting responsibly and not taking the law into their own hands. That's a far cry from President Bush's assessment of the Minutemen, who he mistakenly pre-judged as "vigilantes."

We must, in my opinion, give Commissioner Bonner great credit for having the courage, as well as the innovative instinct, to suggest channeling that volunteer spirit, patriotism (dare I use that word?) and that concern about border security into an idea about a civilian auxiliary force.

Unfortunately for all of us, the Department of Homeland Security didn't give him such credit and it doesn't agree with his idea. In fact, the department wasted no time in officially rejecting the idea that federal Border Patrol officers work with civilian volunteers to patrol the porous U.S. borders against what is nothing short of an invasion of illegal aliens.

Border Patrol supervisors in Arizona have discounted the Minutemen's efforts along the southern border. But Congress tells a different story. As the Congressional Immigration Reform Caucus said in its Results and Implications of the Minuteman Project report: "Nearly every individual Border Patrol officer who spoke off-the-record in the field to the Caucus Team said that illegal immigration had virtually stopped in the sector patrolled by the Minutemen as a direct result of Minutemen activity and publicity."

see link for rest of article
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#15]
How feasible would it be to start and manage such a group?

I am sure there are thousands who would love to volunteer (me included). But most people who are the most able-bodied have to work. I mean you couldn't just up and leave your job and go volunteer to guard the border for 6 months or a year. And I take it this will strictly be volunteers. Therefore it would seem only retired people would show up in any significant numbers. So you're talking about people with an average age of 50 or older. We know many people in this group would not probably not be physically up to task for much patrol work.

Perhaps kids who turn 18, graduate and don't go to college or get a job right way could help. But we need these people to be joining the active duty military too.

So it would seem getting that getting volunteers would be no problem. But having the time to volunteer for the necessary training and security duty would seem tough. Sounds like the best bet would be to get as many local volunteers as possible. That way they could perhaps work shifts and volunteer for a few hours duty at a given time, while they also work their regular jobs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd rather a bill that would increase the funding of the Border Patrol to give them the manpower and firepower they need to do their jobs, rather than seemingly shorting them on everything.

But if that can't be done, this works. I'd volunteer for my summer vacation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Here it is

Phone: 202.225.2571
Date: 07/28/05
www.culberson.house.gov/news.aspx?A=171  
Culberson Introduces Border Protection Corps Act of 2005

Today, U.S. Representative John Culberson and 47 original cosponsors introduced H.R. 3622 to create the Border Protection Corps made up of citizen volunteers working as sworn law enforcement officers under the command of the Governors of the border States and working “in cooperation with State and local law enforcement officials…and the United States Border Patrol.”

Border Protection Corps operations and the costs of detaining, housing and transporting foreign nationals taken into custody by the Corps or by state and local law enforcement would be paid for using the $6.8 billion in Homeland Security first responder funds that have been sitting unspent and untouched in the U. S. Treasury for over two years.

The Border Protection Corps Act invokes Congress’s power under Article I, Section 8 of the U. S. Constitution to “provide for calling forth…organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia… to execute the Laws of the Union,” which H.R. 3622 defines as “patrolling and defending the international border” of the United States “in order to prevent individuals from crossing the international border…at any location other than an authorized port of entry.”

Congressman Culberson said, “H.R. 3622 is necessary because federal authorities do not have the manpower or the resources to protect America's international borders, and we now have sworn testimony by top federal law enforcement officials that potential terrorists from countries with known Al Qaeda connections are entering the United States in significant numbers by assuming false Hispanic identities and hiding among the flood of illegal immigrants pouring across our southern border.

“Extremely violent and dangerous criminal gangs like MS-13 and drug smugglers are also crossing our southern borders in growing numbers, and lawlessness in the area around Nuevo Laredo has grown so severe their Chief of Police was shot dead.

“9/11 deputized all Americans, but not all Americans can serve in our military or join the FBI or Homeland Security and fight the war on terror in the front lines. H.R. 3622 enables law-abiding American citizens to help defend our country as a member of a lawful militia force organized into a modern neighborhood watch border patrol program under the direct control of the State's governor and working in close cooperation with State and Federal law enforcement authorities.

“America's best defense against terrorists trying to sneak into our country is to trust the good hearts and the good sense of American citizens who have stepped up over and over again since the days of Lexington and Concord to protect their neighborhoods and their country by filling every breach in our national security as members of the militia until federal authorities could come forward to relieve them.”

H.R. 3622 states that Border Protection Corps members “shall include only United States citizens with no criminal history and no history of mental illness.” Corps members must “take an oath to uphold the laws and Constitution of the United States and of the State… and shall have the right to keep and bear arms… [and can] use any means and any force authorized by state law to prevent individuals from unlawfully entering United States [or] to take into custody individuals who have so entered the United States.”

H.R. 3622 would only take effect in those border States whose Governors call for volunteers to serve, and eligible citizens from any State in the Union can serve in the Border Protection Corps of that State. The Governor who called for volunteers to serve must follow State law “to equip, train, discipline, and otherwise control the operation of such militia forces in defense of the international borders of the United States…”

Foreign nationals entering the United States illegally who are taken into custody by the Border Protection Corps or by State or local law enforcement authorities must be “promptly delivered to a federal law enforcement authority.” The foreign national cannot be released in the United States but must be removed to the country from which they entered the U.S., but “only after federal law enforcement authorities are fully satisfied that each individual so removed is not a violent or dangerous criminal, a terrorist or a potential terrorist, in which case that individual shall be prosecuted in the United States to the fullest extent provided by law.”

Original Cosponsors: Todd Akin, Roscoe Bartlett, Henry Bonilla, Henry Brown, Michael Burgess, Dan Burton, John Carter, Barbara Cubin, Jo Ann Davis, Nathan Deal, John Doolittle, John Duncan, Scott Garrett, Louie Gohmert, Virgil Goode, Gil Gutknecht, Ralph Hall, JD Hayworth, Wally Herger, Ernest Istook, Sam Johnson, Walter Jones, Ron Lewis, Michael McCaul, Patrick McHenry, Kenny Marchant, John Mica, Jeff Miller, Sue Myrick, Charlie Norwood, Butch Otter, Mike Pence, Joe Pitts, Ted Poe, Tom Price, Mike Rogers (AL), Dana Rohrabacher, Ed Royce, Joe Schwarz, Mike Simpson, Lamar Smith, John Sullivan, Tom Tancredo, Zach Wamp, Lynn Westmoreland, Joe Wilson, Don Young
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Foreign nationals entering the United States illegally who are taken into custody by the Border Protection Corps or by State or local law enforcement authorities must be “promptly delivered to a federal law enforcement authority.” The foreign national cannot be released in the United States but must be removed to the country from which they entered the U.S., but “only after federal law enforcement authorities are fully satisfied that each individual so removed is not a violent or dangerous criminal, a terrorist or a potential terrorist, in which case that individual shall be prosecuted in the United States to the fullest extent provided by law.”

this part looks great to me
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, thanks for finding and posting that. The bill sounds DAMN good to me. I didn't see my representative on the list of co-sponsors, so I am going to write and call his office to request support for this bill.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Sure
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#21]
like jorge would stop sucking vicente long enough to sign something like that
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
like jorge would stop sucking vicente long enough to sign something like that

If it passes the House, he might not have much of a choice but to sign it. This president has a 44% approval rating right now, the lowest since he was first elected. He has some things he wants to get passed as well. If he turns his back on the republicans in Congress, he will be finished. Period. He wouldn't be able to get an order of fries at McDonald's approved for the rest of his term. Heck, there's already starting to be some dissent. Look at what happened with Frist today.

If the House passes this, Bush will either sign or commit political seppuka by vetoing it. In the online poll conducted this evening during the Lou Dobbs show (in which the creator of this bill was inteviewed), an overwhelming 85% of Americans approved of this measure.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Therefore it would seem only retired people would show up in any significant numbers. So you're talking about people with an average age of 50 or older. We know many people in this group would not probably not be physically up to task for much patrol work.

heh heh..... take those volunteers with WWII/Korea service, marry them up with the remaining CMP M1 Garands, and ask them to man the high ground instead of walking patrol, and 90% of the border would be secured
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Immigration is gonna be one of the big topics in the next few years and this administration doesn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole ????? The House can pass it all they want but it would still have to go through the Senate as well, correct ? Like that would ever happen. I am surprised we haven't seen something already that restricts Minuteman activities. The Administration would fully support that one for sure.  It was also great how the head of Border Patrol said publicly he thought the idea had some merit, and the next day every other top dog in the Department of Homeland Security hung him out to dry by saying they were against it and I beleive he wound flip-flopping as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Keep it independent and separate from any .gov ties. It will just evolve into another .gov arm.

-tightening chinstrap on foil helmet for this one.--
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Therefore it would seem only retired people would show up in any significant numbers. So you're talking about people with an average age of 50 or older. We know many people in this group would not probably not be physically up to task for much patrol work.

heh heh..... take those volunteers with WWII/Korea service, marry them up with the remaining CMP M1 Garands, and ask them to man the high ground instead of walking patrol, and 90% of the border would be secured

Now that idea has some potential........
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Why only the borders. Look around where you live. The need is in every State,City and town all accross America. Don't just keep them from getting in, round up the ones who already got by.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Why only the borders. Look around where you live. The need is in every State,City and town all accross America. Don't just keep them from getting in, round up the ones who already got by.

They would probably some kind of illegal alien harrassment legislation in order to protect them. Alot of southwestern cities and I think the state of NM already has something to that effect don't they (sanctuary laws) ?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Good. I like that idea too. I'll join the Kentucky chapter if it ever passes, that way I'll be able to take part.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#30]
www.minutemanhq.com/hq/

Don't need their project.  They can't do the job with an armed, paid force.  We're supposed to think they'll do any better with the volunteers?

They don't have the political will to do the job and working in the system is counter-productive.  Only by continually showing an "amateur" civilian force can upstage a multi-million dollar Government Agency do we have a chance of shaming them into doing their duty.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That would be one hell of a start alright. More than is being done now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
www.minutemanhq.com/hq/

Don't need their project.  They can't do the job with an armed, paid force.  We're supposed to think they'll do any better with the volunteers?

They don't have the political will to do the job and working in the system is counter-productive.  Only by continually showing an "amateur" civilian force can upstage a multi-million dollar Government Agency do we have a chance of shaming them into doing their duty.

I appreciate what the Minutemen are doing. I really do. But they don't have enough authority to really do anything. All they can do is watch and report. I'd rather have a group who could actually apprehend and detain. And I'd rather a group have the authority to use force, if and when it's needed, rather than being forced to not make contact.  With groups like the Brown Berets and others making threats against the MM, they need to be ready to fight back if need be. But I have read their SOP's and contact is to be avoided at all costs. I want someone there who can fire back and make contact if that response is needed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.minutemanhq.com/hq/

I appreciate what the Minutemen are doing. I really do. But they don't have enough authority to really do anything. All they can do is watch and report. I'd rather have a group who could actually apprehend and detain. And I'd rather a group have the authority to use force, if and when it's needed, rather than being forced to not make contact.  With groups like the Brown Berets and others making threats against the MM, they need to be ready to fight back if need be. But I have read their SOP's and contact is to be avoided at all costs. I want someone there who can fire back and make contact if that response is needed.

When are the Minutemen going to field a Presidential Candidate?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Dunno. Is Pat Buchanan running?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Dunno. Is Pat Buchanan running?

IIRC, he is going to take another shot at it
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
www.minutemanhq.com/hq/

It is the "upper powers" that "prevent" the BP from doing their jobs by witholding funding and having directives and procedures that are counterproductive.  

There is a political game here... No more illegals coming accross the borders = problem solved = no more funding = out of a JOB

Same goes for WAR ON DRUGS ... IMHO
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:49:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.minutemanhq.com/hq/

It is the "upper powers" that "prevent" the BP from doing their jobs by witholding funding and having directives and procedures that are counterproductive.  

There is a political game here... No more illegals coming accross the borders = problem solved = no more funding = out of a JOB

Same goes for WAR ON DRUGS ... IMHO

Same for welfare and all other benefits.......more cases than ever, raises all around
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Here is the Lou Dobbs transcript from yesterday regarding Congressman Culberson's bill
I left in the previous story about the brownturds threatening the Minutemen.........

transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0507/29/ldt.01.html
DOBBS: New threats tonight to the volunteer Minuteman Project, a militant group calling itself the Brown Berets is vowing to stop Minutemen volunteer border patrol teams in Southern Texas. The Brown Berets say they are ready to use force. Casey Wian reports.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

CASEY WIAN, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): In the late '60s and early '70s, the brown berets were the Chicano equivalent of the Black Panthers. They marched, battled police, and even staged an invasion of California's Catalina's Island, claiming it for Mexico. The Brown Berets largely disbanded but in recent years, some of the aging radicals have dusted off their uniforms and reformed, often to fight gang violence and promote education. Now a Texas Brown Beret group says it plans to physically confront the Minutemen when the civilian volunteers patrol the Texas border in October.

PABLO DELGADO, BROWN BERETS: We monitor the system, and when there's a threat to the Mexican American community we are there.

WIAN: Delgado go calls himself the Brown Beret prime minister. He was allowed to speak at a Southern Texas Democratic Party press conference held this week to denounce the Minutemen.

DELGADO: And have communicated with me their sincere interest in organizing a confrontation, physical confrontation against the Minutemen.

WIAN: Though he gave the Brown Berets a platform, party chairman Maldonado says he does not support their actions. Threats of violence are nothing new to the Minutemen. There are reports of a bounty on the heads of California Minutemen by Mexican drug cartels, and anti- Minutemen protesters appear to be doing everything they can to spark a physical confrontation, so far without success.

Meanwhile the Minutemen continue to do what they said they would do all along, monitor the border, report suspected illegal activities to the Border Patrol and not engage in confrontation.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

WIAN: Now, we spoke to a leader of the Minuteman Project who happens to be a Latino and he says the Minutemen are not worried about the Brown Berets, because, as he put it, the Minutemen have the law on their side -- Lou.

DOBBS: This is remarkable and even goes to the level of bean unfortunate for one thing. Middle-agent -- aging militants is, first of all sort of -- creates some irony and I think a credibility issue, if you will. How serious does this appear to be? Are they really trying to actively contend with the Minutemen volunteers?

WIAN: It's hard to say. We tried to put in a call to the leader of this Brown Beret group. None of our calls were returned. We weren't able to get in touch with them, but I will tell you that the California Minutemen say that they have undergone a lot of almost violent confrontations with protesters every weekend since they've been patrolling the California border. They say it's getting worse. So, there's a precedent for these protesters actively confronting and physically confronting the Minutemen, Lou.

DOBBS: Yes. I was really referring specifically to this group, the Brown Berets. Your reporting and the videotape that you have shared with our audience here, showing what some of those protest groups, principally promoting Aztlan or the take-over of some of the southwestern part of the United States by Mexico, all of that kind of nonsense. No protest at all; the president of the United States has called the Minutemen volunteers, citizens doing great civic work, called them vigilantes, but there's not been a single word about the conduct of those protesters.

WIAN: And there's not been any evidence that any of those Minutemen have engaged in anything other than monitoring the border and reporting what they see to the border patrol. Meanwhile, their opponents are saying: We're going to smash the border and this land belongs to Mexico -- Lou?

DOBBS: And I notice that the ACLU and the Southern Poverty Law Center went so far as to talk about racism among that group, the Minute men, which I find one of the most reprehensible and despicable distortions I've ever seen by two organizations that do such good work in this country. But what they have done there is and I will tell -- I'd like to just say it straight to their faces -- and I would guess I'm doing so right now, it's absolutely reprehensible what they have done.

Casey Wian, thank you for your excellent reporting.

WIAN: Thank you.

DOBBS: Support is rising in Congress tonight for a new citizen's patrol group for our broken borders. That group would be run by the United States government and it would build on the success of the Minutemen project.

Congressman John Culberson of Texas is leading the fight for a U.S. border protection corps. He's our guest tonight from Washington.

Good to have you with us.

REP. JOHN CULBERSON (R), TEXAS: Good to be here.

DOBBS: Let's start was these volunteers. You -- another Texan, Congressman, as I've just mentioned, has called the Minutemen and other volunteers on the borders: Vigilantes. You're quite a different -- you're at quite the different odds with the president of the United States here.

CULBERSON: I don't believe so, Lou. In fact, the bill that I have filed with 46 co-sponsors of this legislation, is based on the longest and most honorable tradition in America and that is of law- abiding citizens stepping forward as volunteers to be deputized and enforce the law and fill the breech.

In our frontiers whenever the federal authorities can't get there with enough law enforcement or enough military, whenever America has faced a threat, citizen volunteers in the form of a militia have stepped forward and my bill, HR 3622, which I filed today, authorizes a national militia, a lawful group of citizens who would step forward to volunteer; deputized to serve under the governors; to serve under the direction of local and state law enforcement officials; to enforce the law and protect our borders.

Because -- With a focus here, Lou, is America is engaged in a war on terror; with individuals who will sneak into this country. We know that al Qaeda is sending individuals in over the southern border, adopting fake Hispanic identities and America will never win the War on Terror until we secure our borders. So, the focus of my bill is to allow honest law-abiding American citizens who want to help win this war, do so by volunteering in a lawful government-sponsored militia force to deploy along our borders.

DOBBS: Well, Congressman, everything you're saying makes absolutely perfect sense. It makes absolutely no sense that there would be any question in the nation's capitol about the necessity of securing our borders, yet it has not been accomplished in the almost four years since September 11th. How would the volunteers be trained in this border patrol corps and what has been the reaction of those border-state governors?

CULBERSON: I've had a very good reaction from Texas Governor Rick Perry, who is very open to the idea. His homeland security director has informed me the governor's approach initially would be to deploy these citizen militia forces who would be sworn in, again, to uphold the law, have the right to keep and bare arms and use whatever force is necessary under state law and under the direction of local law enforcement officials. In Texas, the intention would be to employ them along the border under the direction of the local sheriff as a neighborhood-watch-border-patrol program.

The key to this, Lou, is that the Congress would sanction this, authorize it. They would be law enforcement officers to protect our borders and there's $6.8 billion of unspent homeland security money that's sitting there untouched. After two years, that would flow directly to these states that -- whose governors step forward and say: We need the help on the border, we want these border protection cops volunteers to come to Texas and we'll pay your reasonable expenses and equip you, train you.

And that money would also pay for housing any individuals that are picked up crossing the border illegally and then the federal officials would have to screen them to be sure there's no terrorists or criminals among them and they would be returned to their home country or prosecuted if they're criminals.

DOBBS: Congressman Culberson, thank you for the innovative idea. Thanks for sharing those...

CULBERSON: Thank you.

DOBBS: ... Thoughts with us and introducing your legislation...

CULBERSON: Thank you.

DOBBS: But we're out of time, but how soon do you think the Congress will take up your legislation?

CULBERSON: I'm very optimistic. I've gotten strong support in the House and I am very optimistic we'll see action on it this fall. The founders left us all the tools to solve our problems, if we'll just step up and use them.

DOBBS: Congressman John Culberson, thank you for being here.

CULBERSON: Thank you, sir.

DOBBS: Well, we'd like to know how you feel about this issue. Do you support Congressman Culberson's bill to create a federal border auxiliary protection core made up of citizen volunteers? Yes or no, cast your vote at LouDobbs.com. We'll have the results coming up here later.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:28:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Culberson is a good guy.  I've listened to him and watched his responses long enough to believe that he is one of the ones that won't let his position of power and influence change who his is.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:41:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Culberson is a good guy.  I've listened to him and watched his responses long enough to believe that he is one of the ones that won't let his position of power and influence change who his is.

I would have to agree. He seems to be one of the few elected leaders these days who remembers what this country is all about.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Here's an email Culberson sent his constituents:

Dear District 7 Neighbor:

If you're as concerned as I am about illegal immigration and the fact that federal law enforcement authorities have confirmed in sworn testimony that potential terrorists are entering the United States by hiding among illegal immigrants and pretending to be Hispanic, please take the time to read this e-mail and feel free to forward it to everyone on your e-mail list who shares your concerns.  My hero Thomas Jefferson liked to say that a good idea was like a candle flame passed from one person to another in a darkened room because it will illuminate the darkness.

Decisive and immediate action is needed to protect our borders from terrorists who are determined to sneak into our country.  I have introduced federal legislation with 47 original House cosponsors which will enable every law-abiding American citizen who wants to help protect our country from terrorists to serve in a militia force dedicated to patrolling our international borders under the control of state governors and local and state law-enforcement officials.

My legislation calls up a true national militia as authorized under Article 1 Section 8 of the United States Constitution as a Border Protection Corps made up of able-bodied American citizens who have no criminal record or record of mental illness. There are no age limits, and eligible citizens from all 50 states could volunteer to serve in this neighborhood watch border patrol in any border state whose governor chooses to participate.

Border Protection Corps members can volunteer as much or as little time as they choose. They will be trained and directed under state law by the governor and local and state law-enforcement officials, and they will be paid for their travel expenses, out-of-pocket expenses or other costs that the governor determines are appropriate. They will also have the absolute right to keep and bear arms and exercise whatever means or force is authorized under state law to prevent people from entering the United States illegally.

The text of my bill and my press release can be seen by clicking on the links below. Thank you for taking the time to read this and above all for spreading the news.

Sincerely,

John Culberson

United States Congressman, Texas

District 7

http://culberson.house.gov/media/pdfs/hr3622.pdf

http://culberson.house.gov/news.aspx?A=171

Houston Office:
10000 Memorial Drive Suite 620 Houston, TX 77024-3490 |
p/(713) 682-8828 | f/(713) 680-8070
Washington Office:
1728 Longworth House Office Bldg Washington, D.C. 20515-4307 |
p/(202) 225-2571 | f/(202) 225-4381

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Normally it's the constituents writing Congressmen, begging them to do the right thing or to take action on a problem they are ignoring. But here we have a Congressmen who's writing his constituents and trying to urge them to become vocal. Culberson is definately a different caliber than most of the guys in Washington DC these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top