Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 1:46:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:59:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't even know which one to be more pissed about... the stolen walkie talkies, or the fact the PD won't even help you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't even imagine a police department that won't respond. Both my agency and the one my wife works for have a policy: If someone wants a badge, they get one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Why send an officer to the mall to investigate a $70 theft when he can sit beside the road and write a $210 ticket?

Economics, my friend. Follow the money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I can't even imagine a police department that won't respond. Both my agency and the one my wife works for have a policy: If someone wants a badge, they get one.

Your departments should be commended.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your departments should be commended.

Oops.  I thought he meant that was their hiring practice.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Mines the same.  Even for the stupid stuff you get a badge if you want one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:39:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:52:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Just thought I'd throw this out:

Usually states have a monetary scale of damages that are used to determine the severity of the theft, i.e. less than $100 = misdemeanor, over $500 = gross mis., etc. What probably happened was the less-than-$100 mark made the offense low-level enough to where, realistically, little/nothing would have happened to the offender. It's the court system in this country, there are places where you literally can get off with almost anything. Believe it or not, this pisses off cops just as much as it does the public (besides the victims, they are usually/understandably the most distressed).

Case in point: two LEO's from my city's department recently caught two kids trying to break into a pop machine cash box on school property. There was a crowbar at the scene of the crime, witnesses (if you count the cops), and the two kids both had taped confessions to the crime after being read their rights. End result? The city attorney didn't even charge the kids, because they said there was "not enough evidence". The legal system in this country is getting more and more asinine with every passing day.

Should the cops have responded to your theft? Probably, yeah. Would anything have happened? Depending on your location/circumstances, probably not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top