Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2001 10:25:34 PM EDT
We've received a few calls this past week asking if we are still in business and if the Shrike project has been shelved. Our old website http://www.usit.com/ares is not responding and I suppose this triggered the concern. I'll attempt to clear some of this up...

We are definitely still in business and the Shrike project is active. A friend recently emailed me this link to a Tampa newspaper article on the Shrike from when we attended USSOCOM's SOF WEEK 2001 this past June. http://www.tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGAJN79CPNC.html
It was apparently also featured on FoxNews' program called "HotShots" a couple of weeks after the show in Tampa. I didn't catch the piece that aired.

Our old website is not responding because our service provider (USIT) sold out to (ONEMAIN), who has subseqently resold to (Earthlink). I don't know specifically why it isn't responding, but it doesn't much matter; our new website should be up within a few weeks at http://www.aresdefense.com.

Shrike 5.56 project is doing well. We've recently added a rail interface handguard as well as other refinements and accessories. For those of you who are getting impatient, I can only offer this: The Shrike isn't the only project on our plate; The AR15 was under developement for over 10 years before the Army adopted it and the Garand M1 took 13 years. A project of this magnitude doesn't happen overnite. This isn't a silencer where you just whack out some baffles and tubing and call it a product. It's detailed and time consuming and development is VERY expensive! For example, 100,000 rounds of 5.56mm ammo costs about $18,000.00. -Speaking of which, I haven't accepted a single cent from anyone in the world on this project.

If you're on our Shrike Reservation List and are just tired of waiting or you know where a better product is, then simply drop us an email stating as such and we will promptly remove you from the list so that others can move up and fill your spot. If you're not on the list but would like to be added, simply email us at and request to be placed on the Shrike list. You will not receive a response to your email, as it is set up with an auto-filter that will route your message in order of date/time. There is no financial risk to you, as we are STILL not accepting deposits for this product. BTW, please don't send repeat messages for placement on the list, as this will increase your chances of losing your earliest position.

Anyway, that's all I can offer right now. I'm still not speculating on a release date or price. I hope this helps...

Geoffrey A. Herring
Ares Defense Systems
PO Box 11163
Blacksburg, VA 24062 USA
(540) 961-0095
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
i know you cant say much but are we talking years or months untill the product is out
just curious
thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You have a very cool product.  It's great to hear directly from a manufacturer.

By the way, if you're buying 100,000 rounds of ammo at 18 cents a round, you should surf over to the ammunition forum and look for a better deal. [;D]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Q-man has a point.
also what's the production price like so far? and what problems has the shrike program been having that is making it take this long?
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Need more info.

How about having one of the guys on the development team post an update every few weeks.  Tell us how everything is going, what the problems are so far, answer questions, etc.

It should make everyone here more interested in this product.

Just a suggestion.

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ares Defense:
Shrike project is active. A friend recently emailed me this link to a Tampa newspaper article on the Shrike from when we attended USSOCOM's SOF WEEK 2001 this past June. [url]http://www.tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGAJN79CPNC.html[/url]
Geoffrey A. Herring
Ares Defense Systems
PO Box 11163
Blacksburg, VA 24062 USA
(540) 961-0095
[email protected]
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
How is the Website coming?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
These guys aren't winning my confidence! kind of like Victor Arms...great idea, but never got off the ground.
View Quote

Victor Arms isn't related to Vector Arms I hope.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:16:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
2 - 10 more years and the website will be up, 10 - 50 the gun will be out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top