Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2001 9:11:59 PM EDT
I was in the Bullet Trap the other day and saw that they had an Eagle Arms AR15-A2 in the used rifle section.  It was configured much like the last pre-ban Colt "Sporters" - A2 upper, furniture, and bird-cage flash suppressor, but no bayonet lug.  The price was $699, so naturally this combination peaked my curiosity.

Knowing full well that this would be dirt-cheap for any pre-ban AR, I asked the sales guy about the flash suppressor.  He explained that this was suppossedly a transitional rifle that came out just before the '94 ban was enacted.  Said they called Armalite, and that's what they told 'em.

Well, I wrote down the serial number (33096) and ran it on Armalite's website ([url]http://www.armalite.com/ASPs/serialNumberSearch/submitSerialNumber.htm[/url]).  No matter which company entity I selected, the rifle comes back as [b]post ban[/b].  It's not a consignment gun - It's the Bullet Trap's.

So if you're shopping around Plano and find this apparant great deal, buyer beware.  You might actually call Armalite before buying to determine if it is indeed a preban that their on-line system somehow missed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen of their prices the few times I've been there, the $699 price would have made me curious too. Good catch, and thanks for the head's up!
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
u sure its a flash hider and not a compensater that looks like a bird cage flash suppersor? the no baynoet lug makes me think maybe its so
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Uh, oh!  I regularly go there to test pistols I'm thinking about buying (it's a 'handgun-only' range).

While no citizen should be required to have fully memorized the serial number ranges for all manufacturers of ARs, it is absolutely a necessity for dealers to be familiar with them!

They are, in effect, warranting that the weapons they sell are merchantable and free of defects. Well, I'd say buying a weapon that, in the best of circumstances, might be confiscated by the authorities is pretty defective!

Eric The(NoHitsNoRuns[u]NoErrors[/u])Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#4]
u sure its a flash hider and not a compensater that looks like a bird cage flash suppersor? the no baynoet lug makes me think maybe its so
View Quote

There's a pretty noticable difference between a muzzle brake and a flash suppressor.  This was an A2 birdcage.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Simply put. There are NO "transitional" AR-15s!!!!!!!
That is a import thing, not guns made in the US
That guy is a dumb-ass!!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like an Eagle Arms postban lower with perhaps a Colt preban upper on it, you know, the one that had a flash hider but no bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 7/30/2001 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
think he'll get raided tomorrow? nah...they'll wait for someone to buy it and do them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If I had the money I would buy the gun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Good catch, Bulldawg.

Once, I politely and very discreetly pointed out to a shooter that was a friend of an employee at BT that the Colt AR he was shooting was a post lower with a pre configured upper - can't be too careful. F*CK ATF!! (I just needed to say that).

BTW - Eric - BT is definitely NOT a pistol only range.  I've shot case upon case of 5.56 in there.  The two rifle bays are on the far right - can't see them through the glass.  The AR, SKS, and Mini 14 behind the counter are rental guns.

If anybody needs any smith work done, Lone Star Guns is right across Park Blvd. from Bullet Trap and they know WTF they are talking about - really knowledgeable folks.

another BTW - Had my bachelor party at BT - helluva good time - many thanks to my best man!

Tate
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, [b]Tate[/b], I did not know that BT had any arrangements for rifles. I usually go to a private range on the Trinity, near Seagoville, but if it's been raining, you can't get to the part of the river where the range is located!

I'd much rather go somewhere in Plano, 'cause Seagoville is a pretty fur piece to travel!

Eric The(AlwaysLookingForAPlaceToShoot)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm...Very interesting. I just went there last Sunday, but I didn't shop around. I found them to be over-priced that's why I never look around. I'll have to pass by there tonite and check that puppy out. Be kinda funny.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:12:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Good catch on that one, Bulldawg. I haven't bought any ban-affected items in there, but I've gotten pretty good service otherwise. "Buyer beware" kind of takes on a whole new meaning when the F-Troop boys are involved, huh? [pistol]

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

------------------
"America is at that awkward stage. It is too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
--Claire Wolfe
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Seems like a good price to me.  I would buy and never look back, not like todays LEO's have the time, education, or drive to really enforce stupid ass laws like this anyway.

sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top