Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2005 8:30:34 PM EDT

WASHINGTON, July 28 (Reuters) - The Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives narrowly approved a controversial free-trade agreement with Central America on Thursday, handing President George W. Bush a hard-fought victory.

The House voted 217-215 in favor of the U.S.-Central American Free Trade Agreement, or CAFTA, after a final push by Bush and top aides, including Vice President Dick Cheney and U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, to persuade a few dozen reluctant Republicans to support the pact.

Most Democrats voted no.

We need a roll call on the votes...

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Well that's just great. There goes about another 500,000 or so American jobs to 3rd world countries. What did NAFTA cost us? 750,000 jobs?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
can we atleast get some jungle'ized FAL's out of the deal?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
CAN SOMEONE POST A ROLL CALL ON HOW THEY VOTED SO WE CAN VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE NEXT ELECTION!

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well that's just great. There goes about another 500,000 or so American jobs to 3rd world countries. What did NAFTA cost us? 750,000 jobs?

As long as people buy the shit....
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
CAN SOMEONE POST A ROLL CALL ON HOW THEY VOTED SO WE CAN VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE NEXT ELECTION!

202 Republicans voted for it... I don't think we'll be getting rid of them.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey at least more of your money will fall into drug dealers', corrupt officials, and possibly terrorists' hands when you buy clothes or whatever at your local stores.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Waits for the idiots  *but it's GOOD for the country, because the economy will swell with tons of new goods coming in and americans buying....... blah.... blah...... blah........ *

This.......  Makes me sick.

Fucking country is going to hell, in amazingly short order.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

better Central/South America than China.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We already trade with the damn chicoms
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]
What?  AR15 sides with Democrats on an issue?  Hell has froze over!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent next they can pass a gun confiscation bill. soon I hope.

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. -- Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]
We buy their bananas and they buy our...  what?  Is anything made in America anymore?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I honestly don'y know what to think about this issue.

On the one hand, I believe in the Free Market.  I really think that the best way to create a healthy economy is through rampant competition.  This does that.

On the other hand, I realize that Union rules, federal regulations, and cheap overseas labor which has neither of those protections will undercut US labor every single time.  The result being lost manufacturing jobs.

Every time this issue comes up, I can see why Jefferson's agrarian nation vision was so appealing...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
On the one hand, I believe in the Free Market.  I really think that the best way to create a healthy economy is through rampant competition.  This does that.

Every time this issue comes up, I can see why Jefferson's agrarian nation vision was so appealing...

"Free market" only works with "fair trade" one legitimate purpose for foreign policy is to maintain fair trade, there is nothing "fair" about CAFTA

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I will have to say I was hoping the Democrates could get that one blocked. Somehow I just cannt believe how the trade agreements we make are fair to the US. We buy there goods and they buy virtually nothing from us.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Holy shit how'd you get that avatar approved?

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly what I thought Absolut, start getting goods from South of the Border rather than from the Chicoms.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We buy their bananas and they buy our...  what?  Is anything made in America anymore?

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that.  I caught a few minutes of the debate on C-SPAN tonight.  Some assbag was up there saying the same thing, that this will allow us to support our manufactures by allowing them to sell without dealing with tariffs.  I was screaming at the TV "What fucking products?  What companies are left in America that actually MAKE something tangible *IN AMERICA* that are sold to other nations?"

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit how'd you get that avatar approved?

I dunno, but I won't tell if you don't.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
 What companies are left in America that actually MAKE something tangible *IN AMERICA* that are sold to other nations?"

Military hardware/bombs ?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I can hear the sucking sound of Jobs leaving Minnesota starting up now.

I cant believe I voted for the dipshits
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh cry me a fucking river.  Life went on after NAFTA too.  I'd rather be paying 5$ for something made in South America than 50$ for something made here by a bunch of no-talent monkeys getting paid 50 bucks per hour because of their fucking union which by the way just funds the fucking democratic party.

Fuck it.  I'll pay 10 bucks for something not made by union jackasses that would have only cost me 9 made by the union.  Fuck them.  Fuck the unions.  Maybe this country will grow up and realize that free trade lowers the prices on goods and that we can't compete because of these stupid laws that breastfeed the fucking unions.  Fuck them and their rediculous salaries (for the no-skill job they're doing).  You do not deserve 30 dollars an hour to operate a screwdriver.  You deserve 25 cents an hour to do that and guess what?  Now the people that do that will get that.  Also, congress will realize that their stupid fucking taxes on corporations (which are of course passed onto consumers) just drives business overseas.

Fuck it.
I'm reelecting my congressman who voted for it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Oh cry me a fucking river.  Life went on after NAFTA too.  I'd rather be paying 5$ for something made in South America than 50$ for something made here by a bunch of no-talent monkeys getting paid 50 bucks per hour because of their fucking union which by the way just funds the fucking democratic party.

Fuck it.  I'll pay 10 bucks for something not made by union jackasses that would have only cost me 9 made by the union.  Fuck them.  Fuck the unions.  Maybe this country will grow up and realize that free trade lowers the prices on goods and that we can't compete because of these stupid laws that breastfeed the fucking unions.  Fuck them and their rediculous salaries (for the no-skill job they're doing).  You do not deserve 30 dollars an hour to operate a screwdriver.  You deserve 25 cents an hour to do that and guess what?  Now the people that do that will get that.  Also, congress will realize that their stupid fucking taxes on corporations (which are of course passed onto consumers) just drives business overseas.

Fuck it.

Well you can tell you dont work in mfg, besides when NAFTA got rolling the Factory that I work at moved 250 jobs to Reynosa, Mexico
oh by the way they opened up a plant in China Lat year, about another 100 jobs lost.

So here is your good news, the prices on that shit made bythem didn't go down, it went up four times now in the last year. You seem to forget about Greedy Ass CEO's and the good for nothing Board of Directors that suck a lot of the profits out of these Companies

So go ahead and buy the cheaply made shit, it will cost you more thsan it did if it was made by me, a Non-Union skilled Machine Operator
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I just think this sets us up for further "dismantling" of our nation and it's workforce....

that is all

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck it.

Well you can tell you dont work in mfg, besides when NAFTA got rolling the Factory that I work at moved 250 jobs to Reynosa, Mexico
oh by the way they opened up a plant in China Lat year, about another 100 jobs lost.

So here is your good news, the prices on that shit made bythem didn't go down, it went up four times now in the last year. You seem to forget about Greedy Ass CEO's and the good for nothing Board of Directors that suck a lot of the profits out of these Companies

So go ahead and buy the cheaply made shit, it will cost you more thsan it did if it was made by me, a Non-Union skilled Machine Operator

Actually I'm trying not to buy stuff from China.  I do not buy poorly made stuff...but things like a T-shirt...comon, most are just fine.  I am trying not to buy from China based solely on national security...not because of the jobs thing.  I have no problem buying from south of the border.  Like it or not the future of the United States does not lie in manufacturing...it may lay there again someday when the rest of the world pays the same amount to its workers (when their unions take over) but that won't be for a few hundred years most likely.

You can't tell me that most of these manufacturing jobs (MOST) take more skill than being a burger flipper.  I am of course speaking of the assembly line monkey that do SIMPLISTIC tasks.

The democrats didn't vote the way they did because of sympathy with the plight of the American worker.  They knew than their base was loosing descrationary income, also their big contributors are going out of business (unions).  I don't believe in an unnecessarily large federal government, or bullshit regulations they make whether it be NAFTA, CAFTA, or NFA.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You can't tell me that most of these manufacturing jobs (MOST) take more skill than being a burger flipper.  I am of course speaking of the assembly line monkey that do SIMPLISTIC tasks.

If that was true then the Mexicans that now have my good manufacturing job shouldn't have a backlog that is over 5 million and climbing!  When in was here in NC, we usually had a backlog of one million or less.  We also have a on time delivery of 95-96%.  Their on time delivery is so bad, they are losing business.  But, Hey what the hell do I know.  I'm just "Another victim of NAFTA."  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Silence!  You will obey your corporate masters!
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 What companies are left in America that actually MAKE something tangible *IN AMERICA* that are sold to other nations?"

We 'give' those away...  
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:29:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was screaming at the TV "What fucking products?

Hint: "Breadbasket of the world"
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:35:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We 'give' those away...  

+1

Free delivery.  Same-day Air.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

www.clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll443.xml

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll443.xml

Constituents of Rep. Robert (I've been saved) Aderholt (R Al), don't waste your time. The lying sob voted for it- as late as yesterday he and his office were saying in public he opposed it. Must have gotten a phone call from Jorge and saw the light (again). Confirms again what I've believed for years. The louder they proclaim how holy they are the tighter you'd better hold onto your wallet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Sugar Coca-Cola!
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#34]
maybe we'll see cheap Central American ammo?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I blame  the Democrats and their unions. Too bad some hard working non union guys will get screwed because if this. Unskilled assembly line drone work that can be done by a zombie does not need $17 an hour. If an employer wants to pay his folks that and wants to stay in business he better make a fantastic product that can still compete monetarily against a guy paying his workers $11 an hour and he better do a better job than the guy paying his $9 and hour and he better do better than the guy paying $6 an hour.

My neighbor lost his business when they passed NAFTA, all the clothing they made here ended up getting taken over by another company that could produce faster for 200% less.

Was he union? No it was a family business and he got screwed. Thats who I care about. The unions? I hope every single one of them implodes upon itself, but because if the union crap, its no wonder and not surprising that we have to open trade with second rate nations. Tehre really isnt too much more of an option other than big brother stepping in and controlling the workforce even more. We have minimum wage which IMHO is pure BS. The only alternative is to have a maximum wage set forth and enforced by the government. I dont know whats worse, CAFTA /NAFTA etc.. or the .gov controlling our wages even more.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Find an industry that is getting ready to get shipped overseas and you'll find a highly union-ized industry.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Find an industry that is getting ready to get shipped overseas and you'll find a highly union-ized industry.

Thats true. And folks wonder why the Dems were against it? Their bribe money is going south. I say quit ptotecting the Unions and in time the problem will adjust, no need to ship it south. I say do away with minimum wage unless you are going to enforce maximum wage as well. Do we really want the gov telling us how much we can make or what we have to pay our workers? I gues many will champin minimum wage but at the same time scoff at a max wage. Its just as stupid to have a max as it is to have a minimum.

If a guy want to pay his people crap, he will produce crap and will go out of business. If a guy is forced to pay his people 2x as much as they are actually worth if the product is simple enough why should he have to be  forced to lose profits when he has people lining up to work for less? The other end of the extrem is killing business as well. Inflated wages and benefits disproportional to the quality or economics of the product is worse than minimum wage.

How do we go about fixing the problem? Maximum wages? Heck no. Mimimum wages are just as restrictive IMHO. Its obvious I dont know squat about business and I sure would love to hear some opinions on a good solution to keep manufacturing jobs in the US. I would hate to see the good guys suffer becusae of Labor Unions calling the shots and certainly dont want the gov to interfere  with wages any more than they do now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#38]
CAFTA sucks, as it basically opens up immigration and gives foreign governments the power of eminent domain here. It really screws over the US Citizen.  Read up on it. Here is one on immigration http://www.phxnews.com/fullstory.php?article=23047
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

They buy our politicians and their votes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Heck I thought CAFTA stood for CAnadian Free Trade Agreement!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Fuck it.

You have a good point there..  Unions do support the democraps !
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck it.

You have a good point there..  Unions do support the democraps !

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Uh, like textiles? Town up the road used to call itself "The Sock Capital of the World." Numerous small to midsize NON UNION operations. It wasn't brain surgery, but it did take a level of manual skills and attention to detail. 60% closed at this point. "Made in China" or whatever country is now cheaper than China.

If you waved a wand and all the unions disappeared tomorrow (and the trend is in that direction) do you really think there would be a reverse in this trend? It is about profit. Period. The minimum wage, which hasn't been raised in years is irrelevant now. Can't compete with labor at 5.15? Move overseas. Once there is no barrier to entry of goods and services, jobs will find the lowest level, like water in a glass. Think an education will shield you. Maybe. Unless you are an accountant whose work has been exported to India (if WE can decipher our tax codes, why not an Indian at 1/4 the salary). Or a computer programer.  We are moving into interesting times.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Pure Bullshit.............Try Greedy CEO's who want more and more money.
These people do not give a rats ass about the "Blue Collar" people that work under them, it is all about the dollar, who has the biggest and most  mansions, how many country clubs they belong to and if the have a helo pad at the office or not.

Look at the big picture, you have a guy in Minnesota that makes $22.00 an hour running a machine, you can keep the job in the US, maybe by moving it to the South in a oppressed area and getting the same work done for maybe $10.00 to $12.00 an hour. But having a CFO that is just as money hungry as the CEO will prevent this.

Now With NAFTA they moved jobs to mexico and paid the people $40.00 to $50.00 a week......Raise the prices of the finished good a few times and look at the fucking profit margin soar out of the fucking ceiling. They did do one thing and keep it good and quiet, the Quaility of the finished product is shit, but who cares if your making money by the boat load

Now, here come CAFTA.  What do you want to bet that the wages in Central America are half of what Mexico gets..................Hey more profit!!!  who cares if the guy looses his job

You just dont get it at all
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These people do not give a rats ass about the "Blue Collar" people that work under them, it is all about the dollar, who has the biggest and most  mansions, how many country clubs they belong to and if the have a helo pad at the office or not.

Look at the big picture, you have a guy in Minnesota that makes $22.00 an hour running a machine, you can keep the job in the US, maybe by moving it to the South in a oppressed area and getting the same work done for maybe $10.00 to $12.00 an hour. But having a CFO that is just as money hungry as the CEO will prevent this.

Now With NAFTA they moved jobs to mexico and paid the people $40.00 to $50.00 a week......Raise the prices of the finished good a few times and look at the fucking profit margin soar out of the fucking ceiling. They did do one thing and keep it good and quiet, the Quaility of the finished product is shit, but who cares if your making money by the boat load

Now, here come CAFTA.  What do you want to bet that the wages in Central America are half of what Mexico gets..................Hey more profit!!!  who cares if the guy looses his job

So are you saying that there will be a bunch of Mexican's put out of work?

Just razzin' with you man!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So are you saying that there will be a bunch of Mexican's put out of work?

Just razzin' with you man!

BigDozer66

YEah,  anyway if you read my previous post, I'm non-union. But everytime something like this opens up, you can hear the sucking sound of jobs leaving Minnesota
The CEO of the Company I work for,  which in reality is not that big in the top 1000, but he brings in more money than Minnesota's Largest Company 3M..............Figure it out for yourself
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Can anybody name any company who reduced the price of their product after moving production to (insert Country name here)?

Anyone?...........

Anyone?...........

The thing that gets me is that they don't realize that their customers soon won't be able to afford their products.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really agree with you about the quality.  People know it, they just don't have that many options.  A friend of mine in San Antonio told me that a fellow he knows who runs a small engine rebuilding shop almost went out of business after NAFTA until he started a)rebuilding the "rebuilt" engines coming up from Mexico and b)exporting rebuilt engines to Mexico because Mexicans won't touch the rebuilds from large Mexican operations (the small shops are fine, but don't have access to the parts and experience).  So yes, Mexicans in Mexico avoid Mexican rebuilt parts.

I have gotten really touchy about warranty stuff because of this. Always use my Amex Platinum and if anything so much as sneezes in the warranty period (which tons of the non-US crap will), I return it and send a nasty letter, whether it is a blender, cell phone, garden hose, whatever.

On a related topic, do you know how hard it is to buy American shoes now?  LL Bean now makes most of their shoes in El Salvador.  Jesus Christ.  LL Bean.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#49]
I think I just heard BIG SUCKING sound....
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

On a related topic, do you know how hard it is to buy American shoes now?  LL Bean now makes most of their shoes in El Salvador.  Jesus Christ.  LL Bean.

Red Wings  still makes Shoes in Minnesota
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top