Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2005 5:22:48 PM EDT
I have been drafted to help another from church.

Gentleman takes care of his mother, in own time
creates art, including carvings and paintings.

Have been tasked with selling a particular caring
of an eagle, with an anticipated price of US$ 550
to the gentleman.

I have sold on Ebay before.  Am familliar with their
politics.  Have sold before, multiple times, for
up to US$ 100.  

So:   what can I do to make this auction
for a hand carved eagle more attractive?????

What should I add besides description, photographs, and
reserve?

Your input is a boon to not only the poster but also
to the principle and his mother.

Regards,

-Ben
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure they are GOOD photographs! Not something like this (I know it is totally unrelated)

Maybe give a bio of the person with pictures and maybe a logo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
put at LEAST 5 pictures up. 10 is better. make sure they are nice and large...just not too large that 56k'ers cant see them. 640x480 is about right.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ben put up some PICs here as well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
To recap:  Thus far - good pictures.  Taken properly, without flash burn, in significant numbers, and of good quality.  Multiples to beguile E-bayers.

Are there any elements I should incorporate into the description???  As distinct from selling a pair of boots, for example.

Thanks again.

-Ben
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have a naked chick hold the eagle when taking pics.

TRG

Works for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally hate reserve price auctions and won't bid on them.  Set a minimum price and go from there.

Good pics are a must!  Put some background info on the guy who made it and maybe a little info on why it's being sold.  Some people like a good story.

Oh yeah, and scantily clad chicks on the pictures won't hurt either...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]
No ladies involved under age of fifty years.

So - good description.

High proficiency pictured geared towards modem people.

Some flak re:  reserve,  Thoughts?

What else?  Just let it percolate for a week???

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
As others said, start with a minimum price and mention "NO RESERVE" in the auction title.

Ebay has these chats once/week about how to be a better ebayer.  REcently they had one about how to take good photos and they had a pro running the chat and gave lots of great examples of how he set up his "photo studio" out of a sunny window and 2 big pieces of white cardstock.  Poke around on ebay and find the transcripts for the chat.

Also if your friend ever had work in any halfway decent museums or exhibits, be sure to mention that.

Also does your friend follow any artistic traditions or ethnic traditions?  Certain Indian tribes are well known for their different types of artwork.

The point is to get as specific as possible because lots of those art consumers look for a particular style.

Edit:  Choose 1 or 2 parts of the eagle that show the most painstaking detail, set your camera to "macro" and get a super up close shot of those parts so people can see the photos and say, "Damn!"

Last edit:  Use the word "RARE" in your auction title and in the description talk about it being rare--after all it is one of a kind.  Or choose something about your friend's style that is rare and talk about how rare and unusual his vision is or something.  80% of selling is BS to make the other people feel good about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Set it to end on a sunday night around 9.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Use the word "RARE" in your auction title and in the description talk about it being rare--after all it is one of a kind. 80% of selling is BS to make the other people feel good about it.

EXACTLY!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Be very careful with the wording you use.  If anything can be taken the wrong way and someone complains, Ebay will pull the auction and keep the fee.  We've sold-off some surplus equipment here at work, but we have paid Ebay more in fees due to this type of bad business on Ebay's part than we've collected for the equipment.z
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#13]
What is your feedback rating?

I bid and pay in relationship to the feedback score. I have bought several items for $500-$1000 range, and won't bid on higher dollar auctions if the seller has less than several hundred positive transactions. I also look very carefully at any negitive feedback to look for potential problems.

If your feedback rating isn't very high, I would try to find another person with a higher rating to list.

100.00 item....

I would bid 100.00 from a person with a 500+ feedback rating, 80.00 from a person with 100-300 rating, and 60.00 if the person had less than 100.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What is your feedback rating?

I bid and pay in relationship to the feedback score. I have bought several items for $500-$1000 range, and won't bid on higher dollar auctions if the seller has less than several hundred positive transactions. I also look very carefully at any negitive feedback to look for potential problems.

If your feedback rating isn't very high, I would try to find another person with a higher rating to list.

100.00 item....

I would bid 100.00 from a person with a 500+ feedback rating, 80.00 from a person with 100-300 rating, and 60.00 if the person had less than 100.

That seems overly cautious to me.  I've bought some office equipment on eBay ($1000 printers, etc) and look at the seller's prior auctions for history.  If he's had 30 sales recently, each for several hundred dollars and the buyers are happy, I wouldn't have any qualms about buying from that person.  If the guy's sold nothing but $2 comic books and is now trying to sell a $4000 notebook computer, I'd be wary.

I've sold several thousand dollars worth of stuff on ebay, but my rating is only 160 or 170, so I don't think basing it just on the number of feedbacks is productive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Add "deagle" to the description to lure in some potential airsoft art lovers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe an appraisal from a dealer?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#17]

a 500+ feedback rating, 80.00 from a person with 100-300 rating, and 60.00 if the person had less than 100.

I've had the exact opposite experience with Ebay.  The people with only a small amount of feedback are usually individuals that are honest and just selling a few things to make extra money.  The people with more feedback are almost always dealers.  The dealers on Ebay are much worse to deal with than the average person.  Ebay was great when it was mainly individuals selling items before so many dealers starting posting items.  

When buying stuff for work, we've been screwed over two dozen times.  Every single time was by someone with a ton of feedback.  I've never had trouble with the sellers that have less than ten or so people that have left feedback.  They're just people trying to make a little extra money rather than professional thieves.z
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Be sure to include a description of how it will be shipped - make sure that they are aware that it may need extra protection and that it will add to the shipping cost - actual cost to be paid by the winning bidder.

Also add in the description the dimensions of the piece, and possibly the weight of the item.

ETA: I look at the feedback rating on a seller before I buy, however 50 or so feedbacks won't detter me from buying from them. Heck, when I had a feedback of like 10 I sold a $1,000 JVC video camera and didn't have any problems - someone ended up using buy-it-now within the first 6 hours of posting.

ETA2: Biggest pet peeve when buying stuff from people on eBay and so far my only problem with it - people who SMOKE where the item is located and don't declare it, leaving me to find out on my own. The only bad feedback I've had was from a seller I bought an item (doll for a child) from that reeked of cigarette smoke. Needless to say when I contacted them about it they said it wasn't important info (even though the smell was enough that I had to buy something else for the kid) so I left neutral feedback and they gave me one in retaliation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Advertise the carving as an original Gourami.  This may help.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I would put a BUY IT NOW PRICE, as well as a starting bid of a lower then the buy price.....some folks hate auctions and would rather just buy it out right, if the price is reasonable for the item,  then place a bid and keep checking back, or have one of those auto bid software do the bidding.

and RARE has been so over used on ebay, that the word means nothing.......but if you feel you like to have it in there, fine.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ben put up some PICs here as well.

Gah, this is a complete charlie foxtrot...

This is what I have to work with....

Well, that one and a few others like it.  I'm not the one who took it...person who volunteered me also turned down my offer of a decent camera..

Anyhow, my best spin is to use these as what I have with the line 'better pictures by Tuesday'  or similar.

Thoughts?---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specs:  28" in height, 12" from beak to tail, 9" between wing tips

This is your chance to own a unique, hand carved eagle statue.    Exacting reproduction of 19th century carvings.

REAL EYE CATCHER!

Body and legs chip carved.  Wings are dished and contorted leaving tool facets.
Base wood is pine, segments are morticed together.  This piece has been finished with gold composition leaf over china red.

This piece is of the highest quality.  Produced in New England by a master carver with decades of experience, this piece represents approximately forty hours of labor and infinite care.  You will be amazed.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Get new pics or go home. Pics make and brake auctions. I'm not a pro, having about 70 auctions under my belt. Make the reserve reasonable. I've found a low initial bid brings the most money. More people will be interested in it and will start bid wars...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Get new pics or go home. Pics make and brake auctions. I'm not a pro, having about 70 auctions under my belt. Make the reserve reasonable. I've found a low initial bid brings the most money. More people will be interested in it and will start bid wars...

yep, if you can't get super clear pics don't bother.

it'd be one thing if it were a piece of equipment, computer parts, etc where "it works" is pretty much all that matters.

This is something made for looking at so you ought to be able to show people what it looks like.

Get a good camera, take some good pics, and include some macro type closeup pics showing details.
Make them a reasonable size in the auction, but mention that full resolution pics are availabe upon request (or maybe host them in some webspace off site, or at imageshack.us then provide links in the auction).

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay.  Higher fidelity pictures in useful views are in the works, will be here by this time tomorrow.

How should my description be different?  Should I talk it up and write about how the craftsman is doing this to defray the costs of caring for his poor, sick 98 year old mother?  About how he favors the __________ style over the __________ ?

Thanks.
-Ben
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#25]
You should try to photograph it from a perspective that makes it look like there is an image of the virgin mary in the statue.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I suppose golden palace would have the pockets for that....

A few of these for detail...
home.earthlink.net/~bdewhirst/images/detail2.JPG

With this as main image in the auction  ..... home.earthlink.net/~bdewhirst/images/main7.jpg

home.earthlink.net/~bdewhirst/images/headon.jpg

What says ye?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:17:13 AM EDT
[#27]
thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:45:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I suppose golden palace would have the pockets for that....

A few of these for detail...
ftp://ftp-www.earthlink.net/images/detail2.JPG

With this as main image in the auction  ..... ftp://ftp-www.earthlink.net/images/main7.jpg

ftp://ftp-www.earthlink.net/images/headon.jpg

What says ye?

I get "530 login incorrect" when clicking those links
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#29]
try hosting them with http://www.imageshack.us

did you get a picture that includes the virgin mary image?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
try hosting them with http://www.imageshack.us

did you get a picture that includes the virgin mary image?

Look real hard at the second picture.  

I think they work now, for real.  Shit hit the brain last night.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Edit - it's up.

Anyone want to buy a really, incredibly nice carving?  Be a patriot, put an eagle on your coffee table!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top