Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2005 4:16:48 PM EDT
I found a 2 stroke Johnson new and a 4 stroke Yamaha new.  I already got an old evinrude/johnson so I know I like it but with technology changing and laws changing what are your thoughts.  
Also, are there any other forums you can recommend about outboard motors?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the 4-stroke. Cleaner less maintanance, etc....
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You said duck boat didn't you?

www.godevil.com/

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The mud motors don't seem popular where I'll be taking it.  I'll mainly be going on public WMA's in Arkansas like Bayou Meto.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Zero experince in small motors, but in theory the 2-storker is extremely simple, limited moving parts but less efficient  because of the inherent design, ie incomplete combustion etc, the 4-storker is more efficeint and has more power over an equivalent 2-stoker, but it is more complicated with more moving parts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
for a 25 I'd probably say the simplest 2 stroke you can find. 4 strokes are great, but it's gonna be heavy and Yamaha filters and the plugs are expensive.
but my Yamahs f225's are awesome
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you meen "Not Popular"..... Who cares if they do not like a Go Devil. It goes anywhere and it is a 4 stroke. Mine kicks major ass and I only hunt in WMA...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the 2 stroke. The 4s is SUPER heavy. My buddy had a 25 4s and didnt like it because he
could have gotten something much bigger in 2s with the same weight. Plus you can remove
the 25 2s by yourself if needed. But if you decide to get a 4s get the mud motor. Screw
"popular".
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
25 hp/2-stroke Mercury outboard (IMHO) is the best for your money.  

It's for a duck boat so $Price$,size and weight should make allot of difference.  The 4 strokes cost about 3 times what a 2-strokecost , the 25/4-strokes are big as a 50/2-stroke and just as heavy...................... But,  they're quite

Yamaha's have a pretty good 25/2-stroke...but it's not a Merc
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't know where you learned that, but it's wrong.

A two stroke will put out more power than a 4 stroke (all things being equal).
A power stroke every two revolutions of the crank vs every four, no valve train to create drag and eat up horse power, less weight.

Quoted:
Zero experince in small motors, but in theory the 2-storker is extremely simple, limited moving parts but less efficient  because of the inherent design, ie incomplete combustion etc, the 4-storker is more efficeint and has more power over an equivalent 2-stoker, but it is more complicated with more moving parts.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually, I should have been more clear in the original post.  Do you recommend that I go with the old reliable 2 stroke or the newer politically correct 4 stroke? This is more accurate for a desscription of my delima.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Most 2 stroke development has stopped due to enviromental concerns (which could be fixed with development of a sealed crankcase, dry sump lube bottom end and fuel injection) and the lack of workable  two stroke fuel injection systems.

I would go with the 4 stroke.

Quoted:
Actually, I should have been more clear in the original post.  Do you recommend that I go with the old reliable 2 stroke or the newer politically correct 4 stroke? This is more accurate for a desscription of my delima.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Will the engine be permanently mounted on the boat?  25 hp is starting to get heavy, and if you need to pull it freqently, a 2 stroke will probably be the ticket.

4 Strokes are more complicated, but they are engineered well and are reliable enough, even if they are a bit more maintenence intensive.  Keep in mind that most 2 stroke oil contains stabilizer, which helps with long terms storage and long gaps between use.  Oil injection will eliminate this advantage though...  

It remains to be seen how well 4 strokes will function 25 years after manufacture.  There are plenty of 25 year old 2 strokes kicking around.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
This fall Evinrude will be releasing smaller models in their ETEK 2-stroke lineup. These are 2 strokes that run clenaer than most 4 strokes, but have the mechanical simplicity and weight savings of current 2 strokes, just built better.

Right now the smallest ETEK is a 40hp, but 25, 15, and maybe 10 are to be released this fall/winter.

I'd wait and see what the fall brings, then decide. That is if you don't have an urgent requirement to buy a new one right now.

If you must buy right now, a Merc 25 2 stroke would be my favored purchase. Will hold resale value better than other brands when you want to switch to an ETEK in the spring...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Most 2 stroke development has stopped due to enviromental concerns (which could be fixed with development of a sealed crankcase, dry sump lube bottom end and fuel injection) and the lack of workable  two stroke fuel injection systems.

Evinrude (bombarier) has developed advanced two stroke technology.  The trade name is E-Tec.

However, it's not available in the smaller sizes.  I'm not sure if they offer an E-Tec model below 50 hp.  A quick web search will answer that though (I'd do it myself if I wasn't on dial up).
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty cool.
Still uses the fuel/oil mixture to lubricate the bottom end.
The smallest size the an E-Tec engine comes in is 60 hp.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Evinrude (bombarier) has developed advanced two stroke technology.  The trade name is E-Tec.

However, it's not available in the smaller sizes.  I'm not sure if they offer an E-Tec model below 50 hp.  A quick web search will answer that though (I'd do it myself if I wasn't on dial up).

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I would go with the 4 stroke.

Quoted:

Negative, the large outboard 2-strokes are now almost all EFI.  Many more are high-pressure direct injection.  My 23' center console has a Yamaha 200 HP with the OX-66 EFI system.  It's the 2.6L V-6 on the left here.

You're right about the EPA regs driving them out of existence.  Even the HPDIs generate more HCs than the 4-strokes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are the Yamaha HPDIs.  Up to 300 HP.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#18]
i have a old 25 merc..that is a trooper on my duck rig...

but after being in some rigs with prodrives...all i can say is WOW....

WOW....WOW....WOW.....

next years tax return goes toward a prodrive.

if you go traditional...i'd go 4 stroke..if you can allow for the extra weight..

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a four stroke powered boat motor pass my spread in the early (pre-shooting time) morning.  I bet that guy could motor up river without spooking the ducks.  It was super stealthy and I was impressed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I would say Yamaha makes the best outboards, all Merc, evinrudes also good
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Godevils kick ass.   I had a real old one, almost looked like a prototype.
It wasn't a fireball as far as speed goes but, it always cranked - no matter what the weather and
would get into areas that a norman outdrive would not/could not.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 2004 Expreess 15' 48" camo with the floor and rhino lining. I run a 25 Merc tiller handle on it. The fours are not as powerfull, they are quiter and more fuel efficient. I run mine in bottoms and small rivers, so the tiller handle is better to get around in the bottom. Go-devils are slow and loud. If you are hunting in slews they are good. Three guys, beavertail blind,guns, shell boxes, 3 dozen deeks, food, etc I still manage in the 25 MPH range.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Express boats are made about 4 miles from where I live.  I guess I should consider them also.  I was wanting a War Eagle 1542FLD.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]
You are out of your mind if you do not look at the Express boats. Welded seames and any style that you want. I too have a 14 ft with a 9 hp" Go "

Slug-o
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Flying Brass

I have a fair amount of experience with both.

1. consider if the boat (i assume you are just repowering) will take the extra weight of a 4 stroke, they are about 30-50% heavier  could be critical on a smaller 14 ft. boat, stop quick and swamp yourself. I've seen it done.  (not by me)

2. IMHO the 2 strokes start easier in cold weather (I have a 4 stroke now)  My honda is a little cold blooded, the 4 stroke merc's I use at work aren't much better in cold weather.  

3. My honda fifty will burn a lot less gas compared to a two stroke fifty, something to consider these days if you are gonna put some hours on it.

4. Back to the weight, a new 25 two stroke is probably still portable by one man.  No way with a four stroke, get help or get a hernia.

hope this helps

Tom
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Express boats are made about 4 miles from where I live.  I guess I should consider them also.  I was wanting a War Eagle 1542FLD.

I had an 2003 1648 LDV war eagle. I like the express better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Mercury 25 4-stroke   Dry Weight (lbs.): 157
Honda 25 4-stroke (short shaft)   155 lbs

Yahama 25 2 stroke   106 lbs
johnson na
Tohatsu na
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#29]
2 strokes make more power for displacement then 4 strokes ,
but 4 strokes are smoother and make more torque
at low RPM's and are quieter .

For part throttle operating the 4 stroke is a better choice .
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone else bought a 25HP lately?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I vote for 2 stroke Merc, they make good small engines at nice prices. And I run a Yamaha on my big boat.

I think the 4stroke is a bad idea
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top