Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2005 3:37:24 PM EDT
Don't want to wear ya'll out with model train pics but thought these might be of interest to some of the modelers here. These are of our HO scale Rio Grande model railroad. Hope the arfcom modelers find some enjoyment in them.

F3 at mine.

Eastbound coal train.

Southbound freight waiting on train orders.

GP30's leading a coal train.

Industrial switcher in action.

Mountain meet!

Online photo album. Rio Grande Platte Canyon Subdivision The album gives some background info on the RR and, of course, a gaggle of pics.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
nice trains
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Last train thread? Shit, this is the first model railroad thread I've EVER seen on ARFCOM! Great pictures, and darn nice model work, too! Bring more!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Need more passenger and foreign trains.  How about the Shinkansen (Japanese bullet train) or some of the German luxury trains?

Sorry, checked the link and see what your setup is.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I like model railroads.  Post pics anytime.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice photo work! Lighting and background are outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Last train thread? Shit, this is the first model railroad thread I've EVER seen on ARFCOM! Great pictures, and darn nice model work, too! Bring more!

Thanks for the comments. I've posted a couple of other train threads in the past. There's some modelers here, but there are other sites just for the model RR crowd. Didn't want to wear anyone here out with train pics or anything.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I love it when people post these model train pictures.. they look so real
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the comments. I've posted a couple of other train threads in the past. There's some modelers here, but there are other sites just for the model RR crowd. Didn't want to wear anyone here out with train pics or anything.

Post anytime.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

what he said, those are awesome pics man.

txl
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Love the pics!    Brings back memories hanging out with Dad and our HO layout.  Post your pics any time!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice, tag for later.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Outstanding work... i'm sure its got to take a lot of time to do something like that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Great Pics.

Do you have any of your entire layout?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#15]
great pics!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Post more!!!!  And as someone said earlier, got one of the whole shebang????
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. Here's a couple more pics.

GP30 and SD7 behind the fence at Split Rock Mine #4.

Grande mixed frieght approaches the CB&Q interchange south of Sedalia, Colo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm impressed by the strung telegraph and electric wires.
Do you use that elastic stuff?
Yours looks shiny in the last pic?
Is it metal or nylon?

I was always worried about knocking it down with my big-oaf-style hands.

I'm missing my layout very much right now and starting to plan a 20x40 addition for the back of the house for the next few years, since I have no basement in my new home.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm impressed by the strung telegraph and electric wires.
Do you use that elastic stuff?
Yours looks shiny in the last pic?
Is it metal or nylon?

I was always worried about knocking it down with my big-oaf-style hands.

I'm missing my layout very much right now and starting to plan a 20x40 addition for the back of the house.

Hey Leisure, the "wires" are mono filament. They're a pain to string and you do have to be careful around them! They catch the light just right though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Super post ipschoser1!

I don't think I've seen any model train pics here before either. Please feel free to anytime!

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#21]
hey-is there any way you could work a character named "squatdog" into those scenes, and maybe have him giving (or getting) a full power shot?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Why the last one? I love seeing these train threads....makes me want to  start on my N scale layout....but I don't have time for that before I leave. Keep the pics coming!

-Storm

ETA : Beautiful trains...did you paint them yourself, or were they prepainted, like most are nowdays?

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Absolutely awesome. I haven't seen them on here before and I am sad to hear that I wont see more.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

ETA : Beautiful trains...did you paint them yourself, or were they prepainted, like most are nowdays?

They're factory painted but I weather them. Many of the buildings are hand painted as is the backdrop.

Since you guys aren't tired of trains, I can keep the pics coming from time to time. I'm glad folks enjoy them, it's a great hobby.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, beautiful work.

Good job!

Ben
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]
trains are good, keep em coming!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]

They're factory painted but I weather them. Many of the buildings are hand painted as is the backdrop.

Since you guys aren't tired of trains, I can keep the pics coming from time to time. I'm glad folks enjoy them, it's a great hobby.

Great news. This to me is a true hobby. You have an awesome set up.
I appreciate it when I get to see someone proud of what they have worked so hard to do. I wish I had the patience to do it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice pics/work...

have any McKean or Front Range stuff?  (I worked at a place and had a hand in making many of the cars / locomotives they put out) c. late 1980's.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Those are NICE! Keep `em coming......  I've been told by my daughter that we WILL be building
a decent-sized model RR setup in the basement of the new house that we're getting ready to contract
on.

Darn.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

have any McKean or Front Range stuff?  (I worked at a place and had a hand in making many of the cars / locomotives they put out) c. late 1980's.

No, but I'd like to. I understand the Front Range stuff was very good. Lost an ebay bid on a GP9 a couple of weeks ago. Alot of our stuff is Proto 1000 or 2000. Good stuff at great prices.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Those are NICE! Keep `em coming......  I've been told by my daughter that we WILL be building
a decent-sized model RR setup in the basement of the new house that we're getting ready to contract
on.

Darn.....

NICE! Build it for her. You'll both have a great time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice picts!

Although I do like Boomer's train picts as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's a few more. If there's any other model railroaders that want to post some pics, feel free. I'd love to see them!

Santa Fe F3

Empty coal train departs Cherokee Station power plant in Denver. After a short trip south on the Joint Line, it'll head west into the Platte Canyon mining district for another load.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Nice picts!

Although I do like Boomer's train picts as well.

I hear he works with a larger scale...
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I have that same Hustler on my bedstand
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Outstanding!!!!!!!

Please, keep posting the pics. It makes me want to go break out the ole O gauge I have stashed away somewhere.

Do you dabble w/ any of the Live Steam or just the HO variety?

Accountant
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Outstanding!!!!!!!

Please, keep posting the pics. It makes me want to go break out the ole O gauge I have stashed away somewhere.

Do you dabble w/ any of the Live Steam or just the HO variety?

Accountant

It's strictly HO so far. That's what I had as a kid so it seemed like the natural choice. Live Steam sounds cool though. You into that?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Hey I like this kind of stuff , good pics!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:51:32 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm a huge D&RG fan. I no longer have a track setup, but I have a lot of stuff in boxes, both HO and N.

Keep up the good work.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Keep the train pics coming! I miss my old layout from when i was a kid. Had a whole room for my train set and toys.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#41]
I agree, dont stop posting pics ..... I enjoy them!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I agree, dont stop posting pics ..... I enjoy them!

I agree............Keep 'em coming!!!!

Great pics!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I say we start a model railroad forum. Lately I've taken an interest in the central Illinois roads of the last half of the 1900's. Wabash, IC, GM&O, TPW, etc. And the modern Chicago area commuter lines, now that Kato has released their new bi-level cars and F40P's.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Ditto!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#45]
I've posted some of my stuff in your previous threads, and I don't want to repost, but I think these ones are "unseen".  Here is a link to my layout webpage.  The layout was dismantled last year when I moved.  I am anxiously looking forward to starting a newer, improved version.
Leisure_Shoot's Norfolk & Western in the '50's layout.

TheStormrider, you asked about painting them.  I have done a lot of painting, as I bought a bit of brass cars and locomotives.  I started this when the only way to get the correct engines and cabin cars was to buy brass.  This caboose was plain brass when I got it.  I painted it, decaled it, and weathered it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#46]
These pictures, while a little rough (I was using a 35mm camera with a pinhole lens I made, with real film back then, and I was truly an amatuer), are from the club I was a part of at the Ohio State Fair in the 90's.  We had an 8000 sq ft building that we leased from the Fairgrounds, and we were part of the fair.  We had to man our building from 10-10 every day for the entire fair (about 3 weeks back then).  I was President of the group for a few years.  It was strictly an N-scale club when I joined.  I pushed for an HO layout, and oversaw the building of a layout that was shaped like an "F" and was about 32 ft wide, by 50 ft long.  We had approximately 6 individuals that were primarily involved in the construction, and about 10 others that helped occasionally.

Most of the trains in the pics are mine.  The layout was the clubs.  We spent every bit of about $10,000, with much, much time and material donated by members (me and some friends) and a local hobby store that gave us 40% off everything we bought.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Awesome pics as usual, Leisure! I hate that you had to dismantle such a cool RR but look forward to pics of the new version.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#48]
two more I found on my hard drive....  man I miss my layout right now.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Really nice work! I love those HO trains. Marklin is where its at.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#50]

It's strictly HO so far. That's what I had as a kid so it seemed like the natural choice. Live Steam sounds cool though. You into that?

My father got me into Live Steam after I out grew his HO and my O guage many years ago. I personally don't own any engines or rolling stock but he does. We meet every year, way out in the wilds of west texas, to ride with a great group of "ole timers' who used to work for the railroad. It's a great way to have some fun, enjoy seeing the family, and see some new and old friends.

A couple of years ago we went to the world meet of the IBLS (International Brotherhood of Live Steamers) in Vancouver, Canada. That was a wonderful experience. A couple of Kiwis brought their Shay. That was a beautiful machine. One of the stops on the tour, which I unfortunately missed, was a place called Train Mountain. It has been on PBS recently, but I have been told that until you actually see the track, you will never believe it.

Check it out: Train Mountain

Accountant
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top