Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2001 10:29:34 AM EDT
Responded to an armed robbery in progress the other night.  The first officers on the scene caught perp #1 after a brief foot pursuit.  I went to a dark adjacent parking lot to look for the other 3, possibly armed with a gun, perps.

Wouldn't you know it? The first damn truck I check I find a bad guy hiding in the rear cargo area. "POLICE!!! DON'T FU*&ING MOVE!!!GET YOUR FU*&ING HANDS IN THE AIR RIGHT NOW!!! Needless to say I surprised the sh!t out of this guy. Perp #2 is under arrest...

Perps 3 & 4 got away but....

I also recovered a discarded handgun a short distance away from the badguy. A Walther PPK.

Why holy crap? That handgun was just stolen from a 74 year old male legally registered  owner who was robbed of $5000 cash and severely beaten when he attempted to defend himself with his Walther PPK several nights earlier!

The perps (18 and 19 years old!) gave written and videotaped confessions after being interviewed/interrogated by detectives & sang like birds, giving up names, addresses, work addresses, aliases, EVERYTHING about their other friends involved in the robberies.
Looks like these guys are wanted in MANY robberies in Brooklyn and Manhattan according the District Attorney.

Cool huh?[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, the old man is now fighting to stay alive in the hospital.

If he dies, thes guys are getting a murder charged tacked on too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Obviously, the old man has demonstrated that he isn't responsible enough to own a pistol, if he can't prevent it from being stolen. Charge him with an illegal transfer of a handgun - that ought to be worth more than the crime he was a victim of in NY.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Obviously, the old man has demonstrated that he isn't responsible enough to own a pistol, if he can't prevent it from being stolen. Charge him with an illegal transfer of a handgun - that ought to be worth more than the crime he was a victim of in NY.
View Quote

Oddly enough, this statement is really not that funny
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
My apologies - his condition wasn't yet posted when I started writing.

It wasn't supposed to be funny, merely ironic. However, it's not much of an exaggeration in some places.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Poor guy,

he couldnt of been in too good of a physical shape to begin with if he couldnt defend himself even with a handgun, and then to get beat down on top of that.

That is really sad, he shouldnt of been living alone.  But I know that there are a lot of people living in that position.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Waverunning if i wasn't broke right now i'd buy you another LEGP rifle.good job and i'm glad you're safe.mmk
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep telling the stories Wave...

It's good for some of these jagoffs in here to hear what real cops do.  

Nice bust, stay safe!
GS
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
what you needed to do was blow these P.O.S criminals away 4 less warts on the ass of sociaty.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Way to be heads-up, Waverunner. Outstanding job.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Good Job Wave.  Hey, at least the Old man had a chance to defend himself. Too bad he wasent a little quicker on the draw.  No doubt liberals will use a story like his to "prove" that there is no point in trying to defend yourself. "If only he had just handed over his money to those misunderstood children"
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Waverunner, not sure where you are in ny, but aren't there 'safe storage' laws that would mandate the old man lock up his gun seperately from his ammo?

Seem to recall a woman's story of getting into target shooting that detailed some pretty onerous laws on the storage of a gun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Waverunner keep up the good work, soon you'll have that gold shield. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[size=6]OUTSTANDING[/size=6]

Job well done. Stay safe

sgb
View Quote

Me to![smoke]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[size=6]OUTSTANDING[/size=6]

Job well done. Stay safe

sgb
View Quote

Me to![smoke]
View Quote

Me three
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
It's been a long time since I've been able to "harass" some fine outstanding citizen like that !!!

Outstanding Job !!!

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Way to go Waverunner! [8D]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...A Walther PPK.

Why holy crap? That handgun was just stolen from a 74 year old male...
View Quote

When will Mr. Connery figure out he's not 007 anymore?  He's losing his touch in his old age.

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#22]
GOOD BUST. At least there are some leo's that are busting the bad guys chops.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Let me update you guys on what happened with the old man.  He's a 74 year old business owner that legally owned and carried the Walther PPK. He was walking home after closing up shop and that's when the four badguys attacked him. He was attacked on a empty street.

According to the handwritten confessions:
"We was walking all around looking for someone to rob. We picked out for or five guys but we wanted this guy because his pockets looked fat. We said, "I ain't playing give us your money" and that's when it looked like he was going for a gun..."

True, the victim was an old man but ANYONE that is surprised and surrounded is in some real deep shiite. Awareness is key, I suppose.

I have court on Monday morning...these badbuys really don't stand a chance. Even the District Attorney is going after them hardcore!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By madman kirk:
Waverunning if i wasn't broke right now i'd buy you another LEGP rifle.good job and i'm glad you're safe.mmk
View Quote

You can give me the upper you just won instead and the 2002 LEGP is coming out soon too you know....[beer]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 2:15:43 AM EDT
[#25]
is the old man ok now? poor guy
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
is the old man ok now? poor guy
View Quote

Good question...I'm off today. I'll find out Monday morning at court.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a foot pursuit Thursday night.  I hate foot pursuits...I'm only 25 in good shape and not fat( 6'0" 170 lbs) and I can't run worth a crap with all that damn gear on.  Even worse, when they go over fences they are gone.  Needless to say my guy got away but at least he was stupid enough to give me his Texas ID card before he ran!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

HUH? [V]

If I'm not mistaken many LEOs end up being shot with their own service weapon, you gonna charge then too?
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Last night I went to 2 "fresh" robberies, one to check the area for the suspect vehicle and 1 to assist with a perimeter for a K-9 track.......no BG's caught tho' Also went to an "in progress" burg. discovered by a municipal officer, turns out it was the owners's son and 2 friends being stupid in the business at 0300. Also worked on 2 crashes and a disturbance.

This week I've been 2 a in progress prowler, assisted with 2 DWI arrests, been involved in a search for suspects after a high speed chase/crash after they were reported to have pulled a gun on a pedestrian, and arrested to DWI's. Not to mention all the minor stuff...

Sounds like you have had a more productive day than I had all week. Good Job, too bad about the elderly gent.

Stay Safe
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Situational Awareness is Critical.

The old man(?carrying 5k at night all by himself?) should have seen it coming.

If you ask me, being held up and beaten to within an inch of his life was inevitable.
Being 74 and living in NY, he should have known better.

I feel badly that this happened to him. But nevertheless, he was in the wrong place...Alone.
He may have been prepared with having a gun but he was caught unaware.

If you stand in the road (or attempt to cross a busy road without looking both ways)and don't see the traffic coming at you, You WILL get run over.
And don't blame the traffic.
These days it's your responsibillity to look out for yourself.
If you don't, don't be surprised when the inevitable happens.

Good job WR!!
Glad you're out there on the job.

Be safe out there. And watch your six.

Del
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:(:

Sounds like you have had a more productive day than I had all week. Good Job, too bad about the elderly gent.

Stay Safe
View Quote

I'll take a boring week anyday! [beer]

Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had a foot pursuit Thursday night.  I hate foot pursuits...I'm only 25 in good shape and not fat( 6'0" 170 lbs) and I can't run worth a crap with all that damn gear on.  Even worse, when they go over fences they are gone.  Needless to say my guy got away but at least he was stupid enough to give me his Texas ID card before he ran!!!!!!  
View Quote

I agree on the foor pursuits...they suck. I hate fences too.
Car chases are way more fun but massivly dangerous especially when you're blowing through busy intersections with incoming traffic and pedestrians everywhere.
Really Off-topic but isn't it weird how you always get a "gun-run"/heavy job when you're eating?

Be good out there....
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#33]
It never fails to amaze me that some people fail to recognize obvious dripping sarcasm when hit over the head with it. [ECS]

But getting robbed and standing in the road are NOT the same thing. The driver of the truck that runs over you was minding his own business. These troubled yutes were not. He shouldn't be by himself. He shouldn't be out at night. Yeesh. You people sound like you think Logan's Run was onto something. Ever run a restaurant? Closing up a dinner restaurant before dark's kinda hard to do and make any money. I know people in their 80's spry enough to run a machine shop, mix and pour concrete for a new patio, etc..

He aparently took reasonable effort to protect himself.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice bust WR or as you NYPD guys say nice collar.  

Crap! All I did was get a cat out of a tree this week. Took 2 shots. Damn 9 MM.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Situational Awareness is Critical.

The old man(?carrying 5k at night all by himself?) should have seen it coming.

If you ask me, being held up and beaten to within an inch of his life was inevitable.
Being 74 and living in NY, he should have known better.

I feel badly that this happened to him. But nevertheless, he was in the wrong place...Alone.
He may have been prepared with having a gun but he was caught unaware.
View Quote

Why should he have known better just because he lives in NY?  I don't think it is fair to say that, people get mugged in every state.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Good Job!...Now what will happen to them?
Are they been charged with possession of the firearm? and Plus some?
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

The DA hit them with everything from Multiple counts of Robbery 1st degree, to criminal possesion of a weapon, to Assault 2nd Degree...oh and for all you NYPD guys out there, it looks like we're going to be closing a whole mess of 61's(complaint reports) in Brooklyn and Manhattan because of this collar.
These perps are fucked now!!!

PS - talk about payback, the old man recovered and was able to positively ID and successfully testify against his attackers. When asked what he was going to do next he said he was going hunting in the woods sometime next week...funny right?

As for me, I'm thinking about applying to the Mounted Unit. I really want to ride a horse in NYC + my Sgt. thinks I drive way too fast!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#38]
[b]MOUNTED UNIT!!!????[/b]

Good lord!...You are not thinking of being John Wayne are you?

First he drive too fast...now Oh Boy!...He is the Lone Ranger... [:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Mounted unit and a day post in the Bronx Zoo? Nice deal. Who do you have to b***?
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The DA hit them with everything from Multiple counts of Robbery 1st degree, to criminal possesion of a weapon, to Assault 2nd Degree...oh and for all you NYPD guys out there, it looks like we're going to be closing a whole mess of 61's(complaint reports) in Brooklyn and Manhattan because of this collar.
These perps are fucked now!!!

View Quote

In NYC that should be good for some unrestricted probation![:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Holiday bonus included in today's check? Some kind of sick joke right?

Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Just wondering, were the perps white or black?
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Isn't this somehow Senator Clintons fault?

But seriously, I had it way easier than you guys and your foot pursuits. There's just something about getting a boat on the open Atlantic by surprise with a UH-60 and  fast roping in a armed boarding team that just makes everyone involved "damn cooperative."

How would you guys like to make a bust with a UH-64 as backup.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How would you guys like to make a bust with a UH-64 as backup.
View Quote

ABSOLUTELY but only if I get to buff-out with a Real M4 w/M203 underneath!!![heavy][rocket]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just wondering, were the perps white or black?
View Quote

The one I caught in the truck was hispanic, the other one was black
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Used to own a PPK in 7.65mm. Former German police issue, bought it for $149.50 Canadian dollars from Lever Arms in Vancover back in the 80s. Now I Sure miss that gun, and its long been sold, and I now live in Australia
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top