Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2005 5:02:33 PM EDT
I have a new video camera and the software that came with it sucks. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Ulead and Pinacle are both decent.  There's also some free or nearly free ones on the net.  Search for some reviews of such and you might be pleasantly surprised.  Depends on whatcha want to do.  I mostly just chunk out commercials from TV recording and Ulead works fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Adobe Premiere is awesome.

The price is not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well if you're looking for a nice setup then adobe creative bundle is nice, but it's pricey. Premiere, After effects, Photoshop, Audition and Encore.
But if you're just looking to edit family videos something like Ulead videostudio or whatever would work okay.
If you're a mac user, I would still say Premiere. Final Cut is getting so dumbed down with its templates and wipes, it takes all the creativity out of it. You can usually spot something edited with Final Cut a mile away.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Ulead Videostudio version 8 and not thrilled with it. I would not buy it again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Adobe Premiere is still the industry standard, but it is a screaming beyotch to operate. Bang for the buck ULEAD is still the best for home videos, birthday parties, etc.

Or you can go Sony VAIO, but you have to buy the computer to get their software.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Sony Movie Studio 3, and it works pretty well. It's certainly not in the same league as Adobe, but wth; I'm editing home videos and such, not putting together a candidate for an Oscar. IIRC, I paid right at $100 for it at Circuit City.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Avid

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well if you're looking for a nice setup then adobe creative bundle is nice, but it's pricey. Premiere, After effects, Photoshop, Audition and Encore.
But if you're just looking to edit family videos something like Ulead videostudio or whatever would work okay.
If you're a mac user, I would still say Premiere. Final Cut is getting so dumbed down with its templates and wipes, it takes all the creativity out of it. You can usually spot something edited with Final Cut a mile away.

+1
That would be a nice setup and would work for both Mac and Windows

personally I have a Mac with Final Cut Pro and it is stable, relaible and easy to use.  It ALWAYS works when you need it to...
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Avid is good. Pricey.

I use Premiere a lot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#10]
www.postmagazine.com/post/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=79165

LONDON - A month before Cold Mountain's Christmas release, editor Walter Murch was sitting in a Soho audio studio working on the film's soundtrack with veteran supervising sound editor Eddy Joseph. Multiple-Oscar-winner Murch took some time out to talk with Post and summed up a long tour of duty in Bucharest, Romania, where he'd accomplished the first editing of a major Hollywood motion picture on Final Cut Pro.

While Apocalypse Now, with its 1,250,000 feet of film, was the most footage Murch had faced as an editor, he worked then as one of three, sometimes four editors. But on director Anthony Minghella's Cold Mountain, Murch and his first assistant, Sean Cullen, had 597,000 feet of film to cut, the most in his career, and a challenge to asset management and networking (see sidebar).

In some circles, Walter Murch is held to be the leader in taking Hollywood feature film editing into the Avid Film Composer as he first did in the '90s with Minghella's The English Patient. But why turn to Final Cut Pro, a popular piece of Apple software, and why now?

"It was partly that Avid so dominates the field," Murch says. "It's good that there are alternate systems out there, and I had my eye on Final Cut for a number of years. It's a software-only system, so it can immediately take advantage of improvements in hardware. Immediately you can use the G5, which has just come into availability. You can transfer the material and carry it around with you on a laptop. On a different level, Final Cut is a non-proprietary system - it uses QuickTime to convey images and sounds, and that's kind of the universally used system for file exchanges of images and sounds on the Internet, CDs and DVDs. It's a very transparent system for dealing with the outside world coming into the system and going from the system back to the outside world."

Murch was able to e-mail QuickTime image files to visual effects supervisor Dennis Lowe and others at London's Double Negative where they work with QuickTime in a PC environment. "They'd send [the QuickTimes] back to us, we'd drop them in and you could intercut them with the original footage. The only thing that would be different is the visual effect that was added. It's perfect. That was never the case previously.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a PC with XP and all I really want to do is edit home video. The software needs to be easy as I don't care to read manuals and will figure out just enough to do what I want to with a piece of software. I was thinking about Adobe Premier Elements. $100.oo and appears easy to use. I don't think I neec Premier Pro.

Anybody know the real differences in Pro and Elements?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com/content/OfficeWhite.jpg

Avid

Nice set setup Bulldog, I love my dual screen config!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The price is not.

+1

+2 That was the standard at the TV station I worked at but there is a long learning curve to use it properly
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The price is not.

+1

+2 That was the standard at the TV station I worked at but there is a long learning curve to use it properly

Yep.

The price was quite awesome for me though.

Great price on Adobe Premiere 7.0
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The price is not.

try adobe premiere elements I use it all the time it will do what you need it to do! and sound forge for my sound editing!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#18]
THIS was made entirely one premiere. Just don't watch it if you like rabbits, because its of them getting shot.
Anyways it kinda shows you what you can with premiere and some spare time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top