Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2005 9:49:25 AM EDT
I run fairly frequently (3-5x per week), but for the last several years I've been restricted to treadmill running only.  Work scheduling and locale have limited my outdoor running.

I just moved into a condo that has easy access to a very scenic running path.  My work schedule still sucks during the week but the last two weekends I have managed to get out on the running path and do a few miles.  

The weather around here has been stifling.    Temps in the 80-90s and high humidity.  

I need something to carry a water bottle or other hydration system while running.  

I have a Liquid Oglio (?) water bottle and belt carrier that I received as a b-day gift in 1995.  Aside from the fact that my waist isn't as small as it was back then (28") , the Fastex buckles are cracked and the belt is not elastic so it bounces around too much.  I think a bottle carrier with an elastic belt would be better as it would be a tighter fit and not bounce around as much.  

I also have a Camelbak Stealth.  It's a low-profile hydration pack that straps to your back.  It's great for cycling, but I cannot see myself wearing it for running.  The constant bouncing would be a problem.  I want to avoid back-mounted hydration systems if at all possible.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I see the 3-5x a week...  but how long each session?  Miles or minutes?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]
We used to train w/o hydration for distance running from 3 miles to 13 miles non-stop. Water doesn't seem to be absorbed fast enough.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I see the 3-5x a week...  but how long each session?  Miles or minutes?

Sorry.  2-5 miles, 8-9 minutes/mile pace for now.  I will work myself back up to my old pace, which was 3-5 miles at 7 minute/mile.

edit:  also, I walk about 20 mins each way to the running path.  I'd rather walk than drive because it allows me to "warm up" a bit prior to running.  I could run from my home to the start of the running trail but that would be through some busy streets and I prefer to keep my running confined to the running path, where they have markers every 1/4 mile so you can keep pace.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Not much point to it for such short distances and moderate temps. Hydrate BEFORE you run.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Like metroplex, I will not carry any water unless I am running 13 miles or better.

I take water/gatorade and leave it in the car for when I am done, but I will not carry it.

For a 5 mile run, you can make it without carrying water.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]

If you are going to only do a few miles I feel that you don't have to worry about carrying any water as long as you are getting hydrated enough during the day before your run and the same after the run. My runs consist of riding my bike to the course I choose (for warm-up), doing the run then riding home while drinking from the water bottles on my bike.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not much point to it for such short distances and moderate temps. Hydrate BEFORE you run.

+1

When I ran, I used to run 5-6 miles, about 3x a week.  I just made sure to have something to drink before I ran, and sometimes took a small sip from a water fountain along the way (but often skipped that).

I don't think it's really that big a deal if you are running less than an hour - even in heat.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#9]
i wouldnt even consider bringing anything to drink unless it was over 10 miles.  i've run multiple 8 mile runs (just under 60 min) and never took water.  

i've been on runs where i come back and am over 5lbs lighter due to water loss.  weigh yourself before and after, its neat.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys are hard core.  No water at all?    I generally want the water for the 20 min walk back to my place.  What would you use?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You guys are hard core.  No water at all?    I generally want the water for the 20 min walk back to my place.  What would you use?

Really,  it's not that big a deal. Any water you drink on the run is still going to be in your stomach by the end of it.  Why fiddle around something that'll give you no benefit?  

(Actually,  I feel the same way about all those guys running with CD players and earphones)
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Water
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#13]
What, no beer?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#14]
i guess my first question is why you are walking back?  if you are going to walk there and back (and not jog/run) (prehaps you have a specific course set up or are running on a local track) i'd just take a 20oz bottle of water with me and drink it on the way home.

i'd definitely end up drinking more than that after i got home.

as for the cd player/headphones:  i find if i'm really trying to run hard i dont want music in my ears.  i can get more into a 'zone' for running and i perform better.  however, since its been years since i ran competitively in highschool, i now find that some fast-beat music makes the experience more enjoyable, even though i'm not pushing myself quite as hard.  if i'm gonna go run 5 miles, i might as well make part of it interesting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#15]
yes, no water necessary  for 6 miles or less, I always hydrate myself before I start my run and have something when Im done, I dont like to carry anything extra while running.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Bring a water bottle and stash it along the trail by where you start.  When you finish running your loop, grab the water and enjoy the cooldown 20 minute walk home while sipping.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#17]
CLEAN water and gaterade

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#18]
For 3-5 miles, chug a quart of water or gatorade before you stretch.

Drink after you run.

That's what works for me because when I'm running, I can't stop breathing long enough to take a decent drink with a camelback. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Dihydrogen monoxide mixed with hydrogen hydroxide and hydroxyl acid for the perfect ionic balance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dihydrogen monoxide mixed with hydrogen hydroxide and hydroxyl acid for the perfect ionic balance.

I hear that all three of those are addictive and most people die within a few days of going off of those chemicals.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I like drinking water while I'm runing, even if I'm running less than 13 miles.  I've got an Ultimate Direction bottle holder but it flops around too much so I'm going to get a fuel belt at somepoint in the near future:

www.fuelbelt.com
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Bring a water bottle and stash it along the trail by where you start.  When you finish running your loop, grab the water and enjoy the cooldown 20 minute walk home while sipping.

Wish I could do that.  I'm living in Philadelphia.  They steal everything here.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i guess my first question is why you are walking back?  if you are going to walk there and back (and not jog/run) (prehaps you have a specific course set up or are running on a local track) i'd just take a 20oz bottle of water with me and drink it on the way home.

You pegged it.  I am walking to a specific course layout on the running trail.  The path has 1/4 mile increments spray painted on the pavement and I want to use them for split times.  The start of the path is about a 20 min walk from my house, which allows me a decent walk for warmup and cool down purposes.  

I guess I could jog to the start of the path but I'm not a great distance runner as is (as evidenced by my rather short 5 mile limit and generous 7-9 minute/mile pace).  

I'd love to take a bottle of water with me, but I'd need to carry it (in a holder) while I'm running.  I wouldn't necessarily need to drink while I'm running, but I'd drink at the end while walking back to my place.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I like drinking water while I'm runing, even if I'm running less than 13 miles.  I've got an Ultimate Direction bottle holder but it flops around too much so I'm going to get a fuel belt at somepoint in the near future:

www.fuelbelt.com

Hey, thanks for the recommendation.  I got the 2-bottle version at a local store for $29.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't drink anything unless I am going longer than an hour.  It takes 20-30 minutes for your body to absorb what you take in.  I have used several different hydration products for running though - all Ultimate Direction stuff.  For long trail runs where refill capability does not exist I used a Camelback-like bladder pack.  Ultimate's gear is more specifically designed for runners and adventure racers and I find it preferable for running.

For runs with refill capability I use an Ultimate Direction bottle carrier:

I stick gels in the pocket and refill the bottles from fountains.  The fuel belt is very popular with a lot of the folks I run with.  I prefer the bottle carrier for a couple of reasons:

1.  For me it tends to flop around less than the fuel belt.
2.  Although the total capacity is roughly the same, it is easier to refill a single large bottle from a low-pressure water fountain than to load up 4-8 smaller bottles one at a time.

For last weekend's run (16 miles) I started with an 18oz bottle of Gatorade and then refilled with water 2.5 times.  I carried 4 or 5 gel packets (Gu and/or Hammergel) in the pocket as well.  Just right to get me through the 2 hours and 30 minutes I was motoring along.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#26]
80-90* is stifling?

I would assume those are High Temps?

If we are lucky it gets below 80 at night...although we haven't been lucky lately.

Our temps have been running 80* at night and upwards of 100*during the day and humidity levels in the 90%+ range.

It ain't the Heat that gets you but the Humidity!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a big fan of the FuelBelt
www.fuelbelt.com
Doesn't bounce, carries 24 oz water (four-bottle version) plus a couple of gel packs, electrolyte tabs, and keys. Weight distributes nicely around your waist.

Camelbak is good for hiking and standing around, but it doesn't let your back breathe in the hot weather.
Other bottle holders bounce too much.

I always carry water when I run - even for half an hour.
I find that if a take a sip every fifteen minutes, I feel better, recover quicker, and yes run faster.

Muscle efficiency drops off drastically if you get even 2% dehydrated.
I run about 30-35 miles per week, in addition to swimming and biking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top