Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2005 6:15:28 AM EDT
I'm putting this in this forum because I need an answer quick.  I have to order one today.  I need a black leather gunbelt either 1.25" or 1.5".  I can't (won't) afford a Milt-Sparks belt.  $100 for a belt is too much in my opinion even if it is the last one I'll ever buy.  Whatever I get is going to be paired with a VMII (I can understand a $100 holster).  Thanks.  MJD
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#1]
There are some things you shouldn't scrimp on, and this is one of them. Buy quality and only cry once.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to get that Liger Manufacturing synthetic belt.  I know you said black leather, but this belt looks like leather, but better.  $59.99

www.ligerproducts.com/product/ligerbelt_150_b.htm
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The Widerness 5 stitch was one of the best investments I've ever made (if you can call $45 an investment).
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#4]
A holster and its belt are a system that work together. Buy quality.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Safariland synthetic belts are crap. SafariLaminate is what they're called IIRC. Mine cracked after a few years, and I'm not a fatbody. Buy good leather whatever you do decide to buy.

My .02.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There are some things you shouldn't scrimp on, and this is one of them. Buy quality and only cry once.

What he said. Same applies to boots.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Wilderness

Mitch Rosen express line

Galco
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody have any experience with Don Hume?  A friend of mine has a duty belt and pants belt from them and they seem to be holding up well.  MJD
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

yep.

A good holster is useless without a good belt.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anybody have any experience with Don Hume?  A friend of mine has a duty belt and pants belt from them and they seem to be holding up well.  MJD

My original duty belt back in the days of all-leather gear was a Don Hume. The belt lasted all of ten years or so and was only retired when we switched to nylon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My original duty belt back in the days of all-leather gear was a Don Hume. The belt lasted all of ten years or so and was only retired when we switched to nylon.

That's a pretty good endorsement right there.  They're not really all that expensive either.  MJD
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Rossi M99. Buy about 2" large. Get the plastic liner. About $50. One of the smaretest buys I ever made.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm going to get that Liger Manufacturing synthetic belt.  I know you said black leather, but this belt looks like leather, but better.  $59.99

www.ligerproducts.com/product/ligerbelt_150_b.htm

Thanks, for posting this. I had seen this a while back but could not find it again. You just made my day.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#14]
dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=21&min=3&dyn=1&

I've had my Dillon belt for years.  Strong, stiff, good belt.

G
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Been using the Galco COP belt for years.  

Works fine for me.

Think they're around $55 or so.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I asked a similar question not to long back and got some really good responses but it went into the archives.  Here's the link:  archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=10&t=15249

Hope this helps.

ETA: I know Milt Sparks belts require a wait and are a little expensive, but they fit day 1 and last forever.  If you get double thickness, look for a curved last like Sparks cuts, because it makes a huge comfort and carrying difference for me - Literally a night and day difference vs my last belt that was a lot cheaper but only lasted 2 years (it split on the buckle points).  $40/2 years vs $75/5-10 years.  

Has anyone here tried the Liger synthetic belt?  I am interested in knowing more about them than a picture on a website can offer.  I never tried that type of buckle for carry.  Maybe I should pull out one of my old rodeo buckles and put it on my Sparks belt to try it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Gunner's Alley has a very nice double thickness leather gun belt for $60. I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Widerness 5 stitch was one of the best investments I've ever made (if you can call $45 an investment).

+1
I own about 3 or 4 Wilderness belts and would definitely recommend this.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#19]
WOW!  No one here has the Liger belt?

It seems like the Uber Tactical belt from hell!  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

G

I will second this, however...My Dillon belt was cut straight.  It took quite a while to break it in so it had the curve of my hips.  The first few weeks I wasn't sure what was going to give up first... My hips or the belt.

For a few dollars more I got a new Brommeland belt with my Brommeland holster.  It was comfortable from the first minute I put it on.  Spend the extra few dollars and save yourself the aggravation of an uncomfortable belt.

Kent
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I wound up with a Don Hume B109.  If it doesn't work well as a gunbelt then it will become an ordinary pants belt.  It wasn't very expensive, <30 so I'm not out much.  Thanks for the advice everybody, if this one doesn't do what I need it to do then I'll probably wind up with a Wilderness or Dillon, maybe Sparks if I stumble upon some spare change.  MJD
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

G

+1
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got a milt sparks and I love it.

I know you don't want to spend that much, but it is probably worth it. I tried to get 2 other belts to work before I broke down and cut my losses by buying the Milt Sparks belt.

One nice thing about the milt sparks belt is that it comes curved, so it rides your hips more naturally and is much more comfortable carrying weight that way.. If you don't get a milt sparks belt, try to find one that at least has that feature.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#24]
You want at least the 1.5" and the $100 is worth it. Do not skimp on the belt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Screw it!  I'm ordering the Liger belt.  I'll be the first ARFcommer to sport one!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have a Done Hume belt I got from Gunner's Alley. I've worn it daily for two years
It's starting to show a bit of wear (small cracks and the black dye coming off).
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
http://www.texasgunslinger.com/

excellent double layer belt, very thick, heavy, holds my govt and 4 mags up, close, where they belong.
for 37.00
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
www.texasgunslinger.com/

excellent double layer belt, very thick, heavy, holds my govt and 4 mags up, close, where they belong.
for 37.00

Hmmmmm...  on sale for 29.95.

I might get two.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Safariland synthetic belts are crap. SafariLaminate is what they're called IIRC. Mine cracked after a few years, and I'm not a fatbody. Buy good leather whatever you do decide to buy.

My .02.

I found one of the velcro belts for the "keeperless" Sam Brownes, but in leather. Infinite adjustments - easily brought in a "skoosh" when carrying. Took the tongue out of a regular buckle and slid in on, so it wasn't too obviously a buckle-less belt.

IIRC about $35. Not sure on the brand name, however. My local PD/FD/postal uniform store sells them.

A quick Google - Kirkpatricks Leathers sells a version, as does Fire Store Online and Galls
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
+1
I own about 3 or 4 Wilderness belts and would definitely recommend this.

++++1  - Best one yet I've tried.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#31]
+1 Milt Sparks. Have used a Black sharkskin from them almost everyday close to six years.

Dillion makes a tough but plain lookin belt for reasonable price. I wear one to the range. Had it longer than the Milt Sparks.

Your paying for support not just appearance.

Woosaa
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I have a Don Hume. The leather itself is great. Over time though, the dye doesn't seem to be holding up. It's like they didn't put it in deep enough. If you fold the belt tighter you can see all these little tiny light colored slits where you can see the bare, undyed leather underneath.  I dunno...probably need to get it redyed or something???

Ed
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Backwoods Leather in Portsmouth, VA makes excellent thick belts.  (757) 483-4872 and they will do mail order over the phone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Get a wilderness instructor's belt.  Gunsite, TR, etc. instructors use them for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#35]
WOW!  I happened upon the greatest Gun Belt.

I got it at ArizonaTactical just because it was the only gunbelt they had in my size.

Anyway, it's the AKER B21....    double layered with a polymer insert.  I've had it for about two weeks, and this thing is awesome.  It eliminates the need for that contour nonsense.  It's as straight today as it was when I got it two weeks ago.  No rolling or deformation at all.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top