Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2005 8:49:02 PM EDT
Finally a real documentary about the war in Iraq. Sorta like "Cops" in Bagdad.

Can't get over the fact that most of these guys are "just kids." Worried about them and impressed by them all at the same time.

Soldier investigates a possible IED.

Downtime at Gunner Palace.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Business as usual.

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
My 56k is still trying to wipe the piss off of its face after trying to download all those images
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a renter imho.

Unless its for sale under $10.

Interesting documentary, but once you watch it a couple of times, you'll just file it away most likely.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I read a few guys here (some current military iirc) say to skip it.

you disagree I take it?

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

you disagree I take it?

Well it was an honest documentary done from the troops perspective. I can't imagine anyone saying to skip it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you disagree I take it?

Well it was an honest documentary done from the troops perspective. I can't imagine anyone saying to skip it.

here we go

Quoted:
It sucked.
Pick the dumbest members of an FA battalion.
Let them rap (literally) and babble.
Interspace AFRTS announcements by Rumsfeld (always Rumsfeld) about how we are doing well in Iraq and then quickly cut to a a soldier saying how everything sucks and we are losing (E-3s generally have an amazing grasp of Operational level missions)
End with the gratutious, "I can't see how dying in Iraq is helping my country" by some porr soldier.
the Battalion commander who authorized this ass hat near his soldiers should be relieved.

If you want your American living in Europe showing how the Iraq was is a waste in your house, rent away.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=366305
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Just saw it tonight.

Decent flick, although probably more a rental than a purchase.

Not anti american, just the situation through the eyes of young junior enlisted service men and women.

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe they should have renamed the movie "Stuart Wilf ACTS Like an Idiot in Iraq".  WAY too much of Wilf.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you disagree I take it?

here we go

Quoted:
It sucked.
Pick the dumbest members of an FA battalion.
Let them rap (literally) and babble.
Interspace AFRTS announcements by Rumsfeld (always Rumsfeld) about how we are doing well in Iraq and then quickly cut to a a soldier saying how everything sucks and we are losing (E-3s generally have an amazing grasp of Operational level missions)
End with the gratutious, "I can't see how dying in Iraq is helping my country" by some porr soldier.
the Battalion commander who authorized this ass hat near his soldiers should be relieved.

If you want your American living in Europe showing how the Iraq was is a waste in your house, rent away.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=366305

Valid points but I think he's being overly critical.

It didn't strike me as anti war. And the comments and goofball behavior are IMO typical and to be expected (the excused) of most soldiers throughout history.

What I saw were soldiers doing a hard job in a questionable environment and doing it rather well.

Also one should keep in mind that a LOT of these guys are 19 and 20 and can't see the big picture because they are focused on their own little corner of the world which is keeping them rather busy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely a rent
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Bumped.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Definitely a rent BUY
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll pass.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#14]
we watched it the other night over here and it was awful,   really demonsrates the caliber of soliders that we are working with,  immature idiots that are more concerned with spittin game and freestyling,  

well at least it is a fair representation of the ARMY units that we work with, conventional units that is.

ARMY of one
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Saw it the other night and it was good!

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
we watched it the other night over here and it was awful,   really demonsrates the caliber of soliders that we are working with,  immature idiots that are more concerned with spittin game and freestyling,  

well at least it is a fair representation of the ARMY units that we work with, conventional units that is.

ARMY of one

A lot of wars have been fought and a lot of freedoms secured by immature kids. What they do in their downtime to help them cope with the stresses of their jobs is mostly their business. Whatever keeps them sane I guess.

Most of us wouldn't take that job.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#17]
tagged
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Rental.

Overall the movie was ok, I quickly grew tired of WIlf and the constant gangsta rap in it.  Must say I wasn't surprised when I saw it was an FA unit out of Europe.  Since returning from there (Europe) I've never had high expectations of those units (SETF and SF guys excluded).
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I liked it, I think I'll add it to the collection

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw it in the theatre, and it seemed real to me.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:40:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I think our troops would be safer and more effective by attacking Iran and Syria. Playing defense is expensive and it doesn't settle things: Eastern Europe went 50+ years, trillion$, millions of deaths under communism; North Korea and Vietnam was more of the same.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I vote rental. I don't understand the popular culture of today's 20-year olds, but see no reason I should be able to understand it in 20-year-olds in the Army either. As long as they do their job, I wouldn't go complaining.

I had one chap attached to me I had pegged as a loudmouth immature arsehole. That said, he was a very solid guy when the shooting started, very dependable. An appreciation of rap off-duty doesn't mean he's a bad soldier, I guess, regardless of taste.

What I will caution about the movie is that it doesn't show what life is like in Iraq. It shows what life is like for a particular group of soldiers in a particular part of baghdad. Whilst I could see some similarities between what I went through and what I saw on the screen (particulalrly jokes about the locally armoured HMMWVs!), the movie just didn't 'take me back'. I had an entirely different war to these guys, simply by nature of my job, location and the fact that we were a reserve unit with an older average age.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Dang guys, there's a movie / film section now on AR15.... better place for the topic
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Double check your pic linky's.

Me no see 'em.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Double check your pic linky's.

Me no see 'em.  

Thats cause they were put up over a month ago, probably taken down since to save bandwidth...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Definitely a rent

Yep, too much whining. They should've just used the footage of shooting at the bad guys with soldiers narrating on top.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top