Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2001 6:07:59 AM EDT
I have read here that they are not the same.  I have read that many scope rings claim to work on both.  

I just found this answer over at snipers paradise:

Q: Does anyone know the difference between Picatinny and Weaver rails? Can I use Weaver rings on a Picatinny rail?

A: The major difference between the Picatinny and the Weaver rails are the width and distance between any cross slots that are on the base. Base nominal width is .830. I have seen some that are .832, .825 and even .840 wide. There is an acceptable specification parameter with the Picatinny design. It was actually Leupold that made the design first. The Picatinny modification was only standardizing the width of the cross slots (.100") and the distance between them (.400" center to center, roughly, if I remember right). Your weaver rings should work just fine on them. At times the Weaver base was narrower than the Picatinny standard, you'll just have to check and find out, but I think you'll be okay.

SO according to this they are the same and the picatinny is only standardized the spaces on the weaver.  So any scope ring that is weaver will work just fine on a flat top AR , correct?

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Springfield M1A scout.Leupold QDW will not tighten up on the base.I guess Ill measure and see what the width is.Is 830 for picatinny and weaver?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I also have an AR15 carry handle mount that Leupold QRW rings will not tighten up on enough. They tighten up OK on the Weaver mounts on my Win M70 deer rifle, my flattop AR, and a friend's ARMS mount. I suppose I'll try to find some other rings so I can use it. I like to put a scope on my AR when testing ammo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top