Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2001 9:33:02 PM EDT
I was cruising through the threads a little while ago and BANG there was a gunshot.  Every year during the summer I hear gunshots at night.  Funny thing though, I don't remember hearing any during the winter. Maybe once.  Any of you hear gunshots at night?

Smalls
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You've got to be shitting me!  I hear 'em in the fall.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
All the time...but I live in Brooklyn.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
YES I DO...

Every time I see a tom cat in my back yard I hear a gun shot. I also hear them for ground hogs and racoons. Its getting crazy around here.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a chain linked fence between my apartment complex and big apartment complex.  I think it was last year that a 20 some year old male shot 2 clips out of a Ruger 22 at a group of people and a car.  I think one was wounded.  This happened 300 ft. from my apartment driveway.  We have gangs that hang out in the woods behind our complex (still on their side of the fence).

Of course when I stayed with my mom in South West Wayne County, Detroit.  I heard gunshots everynight and almost everyday.  Hooker on our corner.  A little different than where I am now though. :)
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I usually wear ear protection...
[:)]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep. All year around.
The kids here and some folks come out from town to blast coyotes and rabbits. The coyotes kill the neighbors sheep and the rabbits damage the hay crop.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]Do you hear gunshots in your neighborhood at night[/b] Only when i shoot.mmk
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jeez, Louise, Smalls--sounds like you need to be ready to shoot back.  [heavy]
View Quote

I am.

[}:D]

Smalls
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Not anymore. A while back I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and heard that crap four times a week. Gunshots, not firecrackers but gunshots, sometimes only a block away. And on one ocassion I was treated to the sound of automatic weapons fire. And when they weren't shooting they were arguing real LOUD, often in Hatian. And then of course there were the car stereos. A real shithole neighborhood.

Fortunately, I found a better neighborhood. I don't think I've ever heard a gunshot and these people, almost without exception call it a night about 9 pm. After all they got to go to work in the morning.

Of course when I'm home in Iowa I sometimes hear gunfire, but never in town and only during season.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Occasionally, but I live in the outer reaches of suburbia.  It is usually just amateur pest control offing a raccoon, possum, or armadillo.  

An armadillo will sometimes dig 30-50 holes per night in your yard looking for insect larvae. Needless to say they are one of the prime candidates for some nighttime .22 action.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]
No gunshots, only crickets and the soft breezes through the Mimosa trees, God I love living in the sticks!!!!!!!!!![^]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess I'm fortunate to live in an area where I have to go to a gun range to hear gun shots.  There have been people shot around here, but it's usually the police doing the shooting or at least shooting back....  that might not be a good thing...
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Yea, sometimes, the house I used to live in was great but in a bad neighboorhood, can you say "Los Angeles, Rampart Division?" I'm sure I could've heard gunshots every weekend if I paid attention. Sometimes during the week.

I moved and now I hear occasional shots.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#17]
By day, at work in Baltimore, gunshots are not uncommon. The usual reaction if they're close is to ID nearby cover and go to hightened alertness.

At home, mostly by day, gunshots are not uncommon, except that the reaction is "did they get the deer" or "wow - more shooters nearby, and I need to find and befriend them". Thank God I have a country retreat after a day in the city!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:25:29 AM EDT
[#18]
When I moved here in 97,from time to time you would hear them all hours of the day and night. Thugs around here feared no reprecussions back then, of course these days I actually see a police cruiser around the neighberhood once in awhile. There's been 2 shooting just across and down the street from me since moving here(same residence,different renters involved). Luckily I was at work both times and missed out on all the fun(ya know,worrying about takin a stray shot to the head). Cops are doing a better job now, so now all I usually hear are fireworks(especially this time of year).
Thugs usually don't like coming out in the cold during winter long enough to shoot thier guns off (only thing about winter time I look forward to).
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I've heard a 12 gauge sluggun going off around 6AM more than a few times.  Damn county commisioner's son taking a deer out of season while walking his dog (I'd hear about it in History class every day for a week).  Of course, the game warden wont touch him for some reason or another. [:E]

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:41:31 AM EDT
[#20]
There is a chain linked fence between my apartment complex and big apartment complex
View Quote

Think about liberating a bit of razor wire next time you're on active, Smalls, and just top off the fence between you and Meadow Lanes.....
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes.  When I lived in Washington DC.  
One night around 10:00PM I heard 2 gun shots, next morning the Police were there cordonned off the whole area.  There was a murder execution style.  That was 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#22]
At least 3 or 4 times a week.  I hate it.  Had a guy shoot outside of my house one time and start running.  He only got to the end of the block before the police grabbed him.  Had an officer murdered a few years ago about four blocks from my house.  Several hours later the police shot the killer in a stand off...heard those shots.  I could go on for pages...
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I hear them occasionally on warm summer nights if I'm outside, of course I'm surrounded by Detroit on two sides, and the city limit is half a block away. Funny, I count the shots now. Lot of 30 rounders circulating out there. Used to be a lot worse about six, seven years ago. Now New Years, hell yeah, tens of thousands of gunshots. Every year on New Years Day I find at least one bullet that has fallen into my yard, and my next door neighbor's storm door glass was hit once. I tape recorded the noise one year and played it for my ex-Marine brother who was in Desert Storm ... he couldn't believe that it was an American city he was hearing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I like Celt's idea about the razor wire.  I think getting a bunch of M16A1 Bounding AP Mines (Bouncing Bettys) would be better though. :)

Smalls
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#25]
My potato gun sounds like a shotgun just not quite as loud. Im sure some people in my neighborhood have wondered what the hell that sound is.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Not anymore.  In my old apartment, I would hear them almost every night in the summer, but sometimes in the winter as well.  It happened so often, I could almost identify the gun from the noise.  Funny thing was, most nights I would never hear a siren afterwards.  Seems like people got so used to it that nobody called the cops.  I would sometimes hear shooting near the river behind the apartment.  Usually that would bring the helicopter.  I moved about 5 miles away, now the only thing I hear at night is the train.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#27]
You people are freaks! - Welcome to the jungle.  I can't believe what I am missing,  gonna find me a pad in the big city.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I hear them at nite. People out (illegally) hunting deer.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Jeez, I live in borderline Harlem and I don't hear this stuff. Used to years ago but it's been pretty quiet lately thanks to Giuliani.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#30]
About ten years ago I was living in an apartment around the Hobby airport area in Houston...I would hear gunshots about every night.  One time I was bar-B-queing on the patio and heard a gunshot about every 4 to 10 seconds and then a commotion.  I saw one dude hauling ass down the parking lot with 4 gangster wanna be's chasing him.  Houston Police Department showed up in force including air support.  I moved shortly after.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I grew up living out in the country so I heard rifles and handguns from all the neighbors at one time or another.  

But here's what shocked me after I moved into what I thought was a really good neighborhood in the city.  Last summer, in the apartment complex across the street, some dude shot his neighbor with a .22pistol (minor injuries) and then tried to commit suicide by shooting himself in the belly.[whacko]  I was home at the time and didn't hear a thing.  Come to find out, he used a silencer that he made out of an oil filter! (sound familiar?)  What pissed me off the most was how the newspapers and local TV news were making a big deal that he had a BOOK on how to make supressors!  THE PRESS for God's sake!  You'd think that they would understand "Freedom of the press" in all it's forms!  They didn't make such a big deal that he tried to KILL his neighbor!  UGH!

Rant mode off.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Who made a silencer out of an oil filter?  I must have missed something somewhere.

Smalls
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Sometimes I hear some shots in the neighborhood awhile back.  Most of the normal loud noise are usually the street racers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top