Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/11/2005 3:42:16 PM EDT
My digital Timex Expedition took a crap.  I was interested in a good uber-tactical analog watch.  You guys must have a heads up on these kinds of watches.

My criterea: Analog "hands",  must have a hardened anti-scratch lens, metal bezel, and Tritium hands/numbers. Not a huge face and a prefer a non-metal band.
Under $200

Ones that caught my interest were the;
ASP H2 www.lapolicegear.com/asph3trwa.html,

S&W SWAT, RAM instruments www.lapolicegear.com/raminwa.html

Luminox Navy Seal II www.lapolicegear.com/lum39navseal.html

I really like the S&W and the Luminox with the nylon velcro band [http://www.lapolicegear.com/smwewany.html
If anyonw knows if this is a POS with S&W's named whored on it, please let me know.

Any other brands to look into. A compass feature would be nice.
]www.tacwatch.com

TIA
-Boom
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Traser or Tracer is supposed to be another good watch. Apparently that's what the British military use.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Suunto make pretty great watches, I've heard - but I'm not really personally familiar with them.  I do know they make great dive computers, so they probably know a thing or two about water resistance.

My high-speed friend who is still in the army wears a Breitling, but that's too pricey for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks!
Taser H3: www.gnomonwatches.com/traserP6500.htm

Watch Specifications:

Movement: Swiss quartz movement

Luminance: 15 Traser tritium vials tubes.

Dial: Large bold number 1-12, smaller 13-23(inner track).

Date: At 3 O'clock (Optional)

Case: Glass fibre reinforced Polyamide case

Case Back: Laser engraved black screw down steel

Bezel: One direction rotating polyamide GMT bezel

Crystal:  Hardened mineral glass

Crown: Push in crown with double O-ring

Battery: 40 month battery

Dimensions: 45mm diameter

Weight: 48g

Water Resistant: Water resistant to 30m

Strap: NATO or Rubber strap

Warranty: Guaranteed 1 years. 10 years for light source.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Seiko SKX173. Not tritium, but bright as hell. Automatic movement. Tough as nails.
I owned a Luminox but got rid of it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
How about an army watch? That is what mine is.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
This is my next purchase as soon as I can convince my wife to let me spend $600 on yet another watch. This watch is genuine issue to British SBS units, which are basically Brit SEALS. This is not a BS claim as made by companies such as Luminox but rather the real deal. Available here: Silverman's

Here's some real issue watches worth checking out
CountyComm
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
casio G-Shock

any model thats solar powered.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
$600 to steep for me DOW.
You don;t like the Luminox quality?
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Requires no batteries and can be used as a secondary weapon in CQB:

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

images.google.com/images?q=tbn:8k3bcdKapjwJ:www.treedragon.com/ged/fe/fg/sundial.gif

Does it come with tritium markings?  The wrist band must be sold separately.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
casio G-Shock

They have solar-powered models??

I'm wearing my 17yr-old original G-Shock right now. $40 at the Base Exchange.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The 511 Baliistic computer/tactical watch looks kinda neat. Calulates bullet drop/impact, etc and has analog and digital readout. Titanium case. Only issu I'd have with it is it looks rather large.

www.511tactical.com/Products/Tactical/HRTWatch.asp

Here's a guy selling them for $180.00 I'd buy one to play with if I had some extra cash.

sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/155106903
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd avoid Luminox.  Anything at countycomm is good to go.  Take a look at the Marathon TSAR, it's a monster.  Marathon makes great .mil watches though.  

Actually, nevermind on the TSAR, I actually read your criteria.  Honestly, I think to meet all your criteria and come in at $200 or less, you're going to be cutting some serious corners.  

The O&W M16 series is great.  2824 ETA auto mvt, tritium vials, available with sapphire crystal (the most scratch resistant....also less glare), and water resistant to 200m.  It's about $400 though (the TSAR is $425).

I'm with DOW, the Seikos are hard to beat.  Also look at the SKX007.  A true classic and pretty much bomb proof.  I don't know much about the Trasers, but I have heard they are good.  Certainly better than the Luminox.  Basically, if you absolutely HAVE to stay under $200, I'd go Seiko ALL THE WAY.  Otherwise, I'd seriously look at a G-shock.  They may be digital and ugly (although I think they do make some with analog hands), but they're about as tough as it gets.  

I'm prolly going to get a new Seiko SXZ211K (The "Landshark") within the next week or so.  It should be sweet.

Rich
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
casio G-Shock

I'm wearing my 17yr-old original G-Shock right now.

I don't know about G-Shocks, but my Citizen dive watch is solar-powered.  It has an internal battery that's good for 60 days when charged, and is charged by artificial (electric, flourescent, etc.) light as well as sunlight.  You cen get models of it that have internal batteries with greater capacity - like 300 days or something, IIRC.  I like it a lot.  Because I use it for diving (it has a depth gauge) I really like the fact the the case never needs to be opened to switch batteries.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the Luminox for daily and dive use, and a Citizen Navihawk for flying. Love both of them.

Aviator
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Too steep for me too brother!

Luminox just stinks of bullshit to me. They claim to be a dive watch but don't provide a screw down crown, just as an example. If you go to their site they claim to be an issue item to everybody from the SEALS to the NYPD to the FBI. In all actuality they are an issue item to absolutely nobody. I have also heard bad things about their customer service. The watch just strikes me as a cheap watch which happens to utilize excellent illumination in the form of tritium vials.
IMHO if your heart is set on Luminox get a model with a steel case and screw down crown. Better yet, do an Ebay search for Seiko SKX007, SKX009 and SKX173. Just have a look, you might like them.

My old Luminox in a photo I took for a watch site, next to my Tag. The Luminox was sold shortly after this pic was taken.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The 511 Baliistic computer/tactical watch looks kinda neat. Calulates bullet drop/impact, etc and has analog and digital readout. Titanium case. Only issu I'd have with it is it looks rather large.

Here's a guy selling them for $180.00 I'd buy one to play with if I had some extra cash.

Those 5.11 watches are e-gay.

Hold on, let me fk with this calculator for 15 minutes to get a firing solution.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Luminox just stinks of bullshit to me. They claim to be a dive watch but don't provide a screw down crown, just as an example.

Really?

That's somewhat unusual, and would make me a little skeptical too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't worn a watch in 20 years. Its just jewelry. Get a GPS if you're really concerened.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
thanks!
www.gnomonwatches.com/images/TraserP6500.jpg

+1

An awsome watch.  Getting mine as soon as the gun and car departments are delt with.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I haven't worn a watch in 20 years. Its just jewelry. Get a GPS if you're really concerened.

When I was a platoon commander in the army, it was sometimes kinda important to know what time it was.   You know, in case I needed to be somewhere at a particular time.  

I'll admit that these days I probably don't NEED it too much, but I just like knowing what time it is.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks!
www.gnomonwatches.com/images/TraserP6500.jpg

+1

An awsome watch.  Getting mine as soon as the gun and car departments are delt with.

$190?!?!

Holy crap.

Buy three Casio specials at Walmart and have backups!
When you're really out hiking and running around and shooting and doing whacky stuff, things break.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Luminox just stinks of bullshit to me. They claim to be a dive watch but don't provide a screw down crown, just as an example.

Really?

That's somewhat unusual, and would make me a little skeptical too.

I should clarify.
The standard "Navy Seals" Luminox with plastic case does not have a screw down crown. The case back is also not screwed on but rather is held in place with 4 screws.

The higher end Luminox watches with steel case do have screw down crowns AFAIK.

If I'm mistaken somebody correct me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Chronosport UDT, issued to me when I was in.
I think Rambo wore one...
Very rare.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

images.google.com/images?q=tbn:8k3bcdKapjwJ:www.treedragon.com/ged/fe/fg/sundial.gif

I guess you can wear it around your neck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

WHOA!!! Calulates bullet drop/impact!
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Luminox just stinks of bullshit to me. They claim to be a dive watch but don't provide a screw down crown, just as an example. If you go to their site they claim to be an issue item to everybody from the SEALS to the NYPD to the FBI. In all actuality they are an issue item to absolutely nobody. I have also heard bad things about their customer service. The watch just strikes me as a cheap watch which happens to utilize excellent illumination in the form of tritium vials.
IMHO if your heart is set on Luminox get a model with a steel case and screw down crown. Better yet, do an Ebay search for Seiko SKX007, SKX009 and SKX173. Just have a look, you might like them.

My old Luminox in a photo I took for a watch site, next to my Tag. The Luminox was sold shortly after this pic was taken.
images.snapfish.com/3444358723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2337%3D948%3D%3B%3A%3C%3DXROQDF%3E232367262%3C2%3B6ot1lsi

thats for the heads up.  They do make that claim.  And the LAPD

But I highly doubt the S&W is any better.

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Checked out the Demo, thumbs down on the sniper watch.
I have a card taped to the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#31]
the smitsonian museum is selling limited edition benerus gi watches.  

might not be what your looking for ,but interesting none the less.

" Reissued for the 50th anniversary of D-Day, this watch by Benrus® was worn by millions of US servicemen. It features a military green canvas strap, stainless-steel case, Swiss mechanical movement, and luminous dial and hands. A “hack" feature stops the second hand when the crown is pulled allowing soldiers to synchronize their watches.
Water and shock resistant. Includes canvas field pouch. One year manufacturer's warranty. "

www.smithsonianstore.com/product_detail.asp?style=49012#
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#32]
tick-tag-tick-tag!  

I want a new watch too
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#33]
OH! I thought you were talking about the kind that James Bond uses.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
casio G-Shock

+1 I have the one that syncs with the Atomic clock in Ft. Collins.  Sweet watch and only cost my 50 bucks.  Best watch I have owned in years.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a Luminox i dropped in onto a linolium floor and the hour hand broke off at the center pin.  Way to fragile.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.snapfish.com/3444358723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2337%3D948%3D%3B%3A%3C%3DXROQDF%3E232367262%3C2%3B6ot1lsi

thats for the heads up.  They do make that claim.  And the LAPD

But I highly doubt the S&W is any better.

FWIW, Traser is the company that makes the innards for Luminox... google them to see what else they make. Cool stuff like this:

My Luminox has been a solid performer for the last four years of so... it's starting to show it's age a bit, but it's sturdy plastic watch.

I love mine, and would strongly suggest the rubber watchband instead of the cheesy "dive" band made out of velcro.  It'll wear out very fast.  

As my way of avoiding the Navy SEAL BS luminox dishes up, I'm getting a Traser.

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like Traser is your best bet then.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#38]
i've heard that Luminox pays royalties to Stocker & Yale to produce "Mass Market" SEAL/UDT
military type timepieces.
If you want the REAL thing buy a Marathon by Stocker & Yale

http://www.countycomm.com/watchqpl.htm

myitinaw
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 2:18:34 AM EDT
[#39]
The Suunto Vector is a pretty popular watch for Mil type guys.  Its issued to alot of SF and can be bought on your own for around $200. It has a compass, temperature, barometer etc.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#40]
The S&W has a SS case, hardened mineral lens, screw down crown, and 3 year warrenty.
And its 30% less money.

The Taser has a plastic case and 1 year warrenty.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#41]
my luminox was pretty good. i used the fuck out of it and the plastic case was worn down, the bezel ring just kinda spins around (wore down the stops, i guess), and the band deteriorated and broke on me. but it remained waterproof and stayed bright...man, that sucker was bright at night!!!

they got snooty on me though. i heard they decided to go "upscale" so they raised their prices and don't sell to small dealers like surplus stores now...so i heard...

i like the sound of that s&w, though! and that 511 looks like a scream! will it also make my peepee bigger?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:40:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Swiss Army Watch
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
casio G-Shock

I'm wearing my 17yr-old original G-Shock right now. $40 at the Base Exchange.

mine is also 17 this year...same battery..got it at Benning
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#46]
What's the general consensus re: Luminox vs the Traser?

It's a gift..I can spend up to 300.00.

If you have any real thoughts one way or the other based on PERSONAL experiece I'd love if it you would IM me, or respond in the thread.  I'll be watching.

Thanks, guys!
Daisy
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Swiss Army Watch

+1

Here's the one I wear:

www.swissarmy.com/webstore/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2880&category=8
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'd avoid Luminox.  Anything at countycomm is good to go.  Take a look at the Marathon TSAR, it's a monster.  Marathon makes great .mil watches though.  

Actually, nevermind on the TSAR, I actually read your criteria.  Honestly, I think to meet all your criteria and come in at $200 or less, you're going to be cutting some serious corners.  

The O&W M16 series is great.  2824 ETA auto mvt, tritium vials, available with sapphire crystal (the most scratch resistant....also less glare), and water resistant to 200m.  It's about $400 though (the TSAR is $425).

I'm with DOW, the Seikos are hard to beat.  Also look at the SKX007.  A true classic and pretty much bomb proof.  I don't know much about the Trasers, but I have heard they are good.  Certainly better than the Luminox.  Basically, if you absolutely HAVE to stay under $200, I'd go Seiko ALL THE WAY.  Otherwise, I'd seriously look at a G-shock.  They may be digital and ugly (although I think they do make some with analog hands), but they're about as tough as it gets.  

I'm prolly going to get a new Seiko SXZ211K (The "Landshark") within the next week or so.  It should be sweet.

Rich

+1

I have a Luminox...the stem came completely out of the case after a year and a half. Luminox customer service sucks my cinnamon ring. From what I understand, the Luminox is not .mil issue. It is a copy of the Traser. Luminox is full of shit, shady, and disreputable IMHO.

I still wear the Luminox occasionally, but my main watch is a G-shock...original style.

They do make analog G-shocks, BTW.

Seiko's are fine watches for the money. I have a Military Automatic.

www.broadarrow.net is a great resource for cool military watches.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#49]
I wear a chase durer I bought last year, I shopped around on the net and found a dealer that sold them for under $300.00 Its been very good so far.

Sorry for the shitty pic but its a camara phone.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I wear a chase durer I bought last year, I shopped around on the net and found a dealer that sold them for under $300.00 Its been very good so far.
www.chase-durer.com/newsite/popup/zoom3/SFAC_Nylon.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/jmoffatt/ATT00031.jpg

Sorry for the shitty pic but its a camara phone.

That's a nice looking watch, too.  I've seen alot of talk about the new Smith & Wesson Titanium trinium watch...what do you guys think of this?  I'm posting a link hoping that if my boyfriend HAPPENS to see this, he'll resist clicking on it.  got it?

smith & wesson titanium

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top