Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2005 6:18:27 AM EDT

while i think the layout is great, the color blows.. they just got these in at a local store from truspec, and i like them better that the MARPAT, the MARPATS color is 100x better.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks British.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you been in the woods and see someone wearing them?
They're working then aren't they.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The newer ones have a more green tint to them.  Here's a pic from army.mil.  The lighting is a little funky though...sorry about the size

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have seen a few more recently, they blend nicely, and the grey shade pixelation works great at night vs NVGs.
The weapon stands out, not the uniform pattern.
You people think everyone is a LRRS sniper.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have you been in the woods and see someone wearing them?
They're working then aren't they.

I see them every day here at Ft Campbell and they do a good job of blending in. I don't really like the style, but the pattern and colors are a far improvement over the old Woodland BDUs
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out Lumpy's New Photos For Gun Nuts threads. I had my doubts at first,  but it looks dang good in action.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the newer ones have more of a green tint.  +1 on seeing them in person, big difference.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Posted some pics of it in action in Iraq HERE
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#11]
i saw some of this at Ft. Benning recently. i havent seen it in the field but up close it seems too faded to be effective. im sure its fine though. the coolest part is the gear being made to match it. as we in the Corps have adopted coyote as our gear color of choice the single color color of gear for this uniform is a spruce green. i predict that very soon the SHTF crowd will be adopting it and it will become the new fad on ARFCOM. for the longest time the chairborne commandos had a hard-on for anything coyote. but soon it will be this spruce green color as it doesnt not appear to be military when viewed out of context.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Those uniforms dont look American at all.  Looks like something a scrub army would wear.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.mccoy.army.mil/ReadingRoom/Triad/06252004/images/New_Army_Uniform_400x.jpg

while i think the layout is great, the color blows.. they just got these in at a local store from truspec, and i like them better that the MARPAT, the MARPATS color is 100x better.

I think this photo does nothing for the design
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Those uniforms dont look American at all.  Looks like something a scrub army would wear.

Of course, no doubt there's plenty of parts of the world in which we don't want our soldiers looking like Americans.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Most of the negative comments about the ACU come from people who are turned off by seeing the collar worn up.  This is only worn like that when body armor is used so it doesnt rub against the neck.  The MARPAT uniform has the same type of collar.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Maybe you will make your fashion runway available to the army the next time they need to pick a combat uniform? After all, if you don't like how they look, I don't see how they could possibly be effective.

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#18]
No they dont look American because of how they are tailored.  Those colors are good for what area?  No idea.

I dont like the shape of the uniforms.  The old one's are ALOT better.

But if its harder to distinguish them as American and it saves lives, f ine.  But when I am in the US I expect to wear the old uniforms.  Because even soldiers need fashion.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Dumb Ass
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No they dont look American because of how they are tailored.  Those colors are good for what area?  Serbian mountains?  No idea.

Since keeping up with the thread seems to be too much work for you, let me repost what Lumpy said:

Quoted:
Posted some pics of it in action in Iraq HERE

And go look at the pictures, would you?

I dont like the shape of the uniforms.  The old one's are ALOT better.

Again, I am sure the Army regrets not consulting the Rit World of Haute Couture before designing a functional combat uniform, but maybe you can catch them the next time around.

The point of being in an Army is to kick ass,  not blend in and pray you dont get shot.

Pussies.

Certainly the dumbest thing I have read on Arfcom today.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Look like Navy uniforms with the collar.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Dude, STFU.  When you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

's don't know when to stop.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like he is getting a haircut.  Has to put on a collar bib.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't wait to get mine. When I first saw them they looked horrible but after I saw them up close well refer to my first sentence
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I was wondering about ACU. Looks like it works to me,
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Works well in action.  Nothing else matters.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Looks like he is getting a haircut.  Has to put on a collar bib.

You're a dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#30]
They stick out like a sore thumb out here in the middle of the desert, but I guess they would do a great job in a urban/ rural setting.  Dont really like the color pick, too much green.  I like the lay out of the uniform though.  I guess I will get used to it once I get issued mine.  Just wish the army would come up with it's own ideas instead of always following what the marines do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
They stick out like a sore thumb out here in the middle of the desert, but I guess they would do a great job in a urban/ rural setting.  Dont really like the color pick, too much green.  I like the lay out of the uniform though.  I guess I will get used to it once I get issued mine.  Just wish the army would come up with it's own ideas instead of always following what the marines do.

I can see that is a guy was laying on an open brown sandy spot he would stick out. Like in this pic, but if he were to lay next to the stream  bet he would be hidden well.

I bet they will look better in the desert after fading a bit.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I thought they were stupid too when I saw the first pics where they looked light grey, but now that I've started seeing soldiers come into the store I work at wearing them, they really look alot different. The velcro may still be dumb, but the camo patern looks good, subtle and not too contrasted. Seems to blend in well in all the battle pics as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#33]
man, that bi-swing back is kick-ass!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Saw a bunch of returning soldiers at Atlanta Hartsfield a few weeks ago.  Some had the old desert camo, some had the new stuff.  The camo pattern looks fine.  It actually seemed like (from my untrained eye) that it would work better than the older splotchy stuff.  Didn't like the cut of the new shirts, though.  It may fit/work better for a combat environment, but it just looks frumpier (for lack of a better word).  I actually asked one of the soldiers about it.  He said people in his company liked the new uniforms, except for the velcro.  If you invented something that worked like velcro but was silent, you'd make a fortune.

EDIT: BTW, I read somewhere that they tweaked the colors after that first unveiling.  That may have something to do with the reaction people are having that they look better than those early pictures.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
www.mccoy.army.mil/ReadingRoom/Triad/06252004/images/New_Army_Uniform_400x.jpg

Guys that pic was released to show the pattern and features, not its effectiveness. He is stading in the sun in front of trees.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Research the history of digital camo and you will see that it was pioneered by the US Army.  When the USMC wanted their new camo pattern, they came to the Army (Natick Soldier Support Center, specifically) for help.  The inventor of the new USMC camo even credits the Army with being the first.  The US Army has been experimenting with digital camo for troops, tanks and equipment since the late 1970s.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

With all due respect, the US Army researched the potential applications of digial/pixelized camo in the late 70's, not that it matters.

I just thought that should be established before the discussion continued.

Justin

ETA:  My apologies, I missed the above post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top