Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2001 8:02:19 AM EDT
Did he also mention that the day you turn 18 that changes to "ALWAYS run from a fight if there is an opportunity"

A couple of recent threads got me thinking about this.

I don't know any of you all personally, but I don't want to see a topic on ar15.com about a former member who got locked up or worse because he had to use a hornady solution when there was a perfectly good escape. (unless you are in your home or business in most states) A CCW does not make you a cop. You have no duty or legal justification to rid the world of criminal-scum. That shootin' iron is there as a last resort to save your life if you are unable to run. As much as I like reading about ventilated thugs, I don't like reading about locked up former gun-owners and small-arms that have been removed from the limited civilian market.

If you want to shoot people, do the world a favor and fly over to sudan or chechnya, they could use all the help they can get.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#1]
A gun should only be used for hunting, recration, and self defense as a last resort.
[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Tsu
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I've probably changed flat tires for ladies I didn't know  ten or twelve times. The same impulse that leads me to do this would never allow me to walk past someone else being assaulted and go merrily on my way: the desire that someone would stop and help if it were my mother, sister, wife or grandmother in that situation.

I own and carry firearms not just to protect myself and my family, but to make my piece of the world a little safer and better place to live. Obviously, if I'm getting a hard time about something, the solution isn't to start putting 0.45" holes in things. Carrying has actually lowered my blood pressure about a lot of things, moron drivers foremost. But if the defense of [b]your own[/b] life is the only reason you can conceive of clearing leather, you're wearing blinders.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

------------------
“A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”
--John Stuart Mill
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've probably changed flat tires for ladies I didn't know  ten or twelve times. The same impulse that leads me to do this would never allow me to walk past someone else being assaulted and go merrily on my way
.I own and carry firearms not just to protect myself and my family, but to make my piece of the world a little safer and better place to live.
But if the defense of [b]your own[/b] life is the only reason you can conceive of clearing leather, you're wearing blinders.
View Quote

A whole lot of good points truth to what you said and it brings up a lot of humanitarian issues about whether a person is too cowardly or self centered to help another who is defenseless. I'm trying to point out the whole shoot first ask questions later attitude is a very risky one to have. I could not live with myself if I passed by a person with someone holding a gun to their head, whether I was carrying or not. Just trying to make people think. A situation like that needs to be analyzed and analyzed and analyzed again (albeit very quickly though) before taking action. The guy holding the gun could be an undercover. He could have had his young daughter murdered by the guy whose head he's got the gun to and is out for revenge, which by the letter of the law is murder and anyone would be justified in stopping him, but I wouldn't want to. They could both be rival crack dealers. whole lot of unknown stuff can be going on. Cool head and an analytical mind are definitely needed for ccw, which I'm sure you being Marine or former Marine have, and that gives you an advantage over a LOT of ccw people who would shoot first. But still no matter how good you think you know a situation, there is always "what ifs?" But inaction will bring a lifetime of "what should I have done"

cool quote at the end btw.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Here in the PRK, there is a very high standard for defending yourself.  If you do defend yourself, you are pretty much at the mercy of the DA as to how much jail time you'll do.  I wish it were different.  Assuming you don't face charges, the perps family is likely to sue you into the poor house.  Even in your own home, you are better off just handing over all your stuff to the thugs and saving yourself lots of grief.

Run Forrest! Run!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Jarhead, I'm with you. If there were more people like you and me, this world would be a much better place for everyone.

Semper Fi
USMC 82-88

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Carrying has actually lowered my blood pressure about a lot of things, moron drivers foremost.
View Quote
It's funny you say that.  I thought maybe it was my imagination, but I do not let other drivers and that sort of thing bother me since I started carrying because I realize that you have to be much more careful while packing.  You don't want to get into something that might escalate into something that gets out of hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top