Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2001 2:20:57 AM EDT
TO HELP TRACE SMALL ARMS AIDED BY SPECIAL MARKINGS!

NOW WE KNOW WHY THE SILENCE BY THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA ON THIS UNITED NATIONS SUMMIT! We all know where this is going!

SORRY, I FIXED THE LINK NOW!

[url]WWW.NEWSMAX.COM/
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:43:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I think this is the story "andreusan" is talking about.

[url]www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,29343,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:44:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think this is the story "andreusan" is talking about.

[url]www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,29343,00.html[/url]
View Quote

THANKS!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
And where do the guns go? What country does Annan come from and what are the weapons sales there, the issuse of slavery?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Like I said in the other thread on this same topic, I thought we had a system for marking and tracing guns: SERIAL NUMBERS! What is the difference in what they want gunmakers to do now?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#5]
How interesting.  Ruger rolls on his back and lets antis rub his belly like my puppy dog.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rich in CM:
How interesting.  Ruger rolls on his back and lets antis rub his belly like my puppy dog.
View Quote

I am going to have to stop buying Rugers. All of my handguns are made by Ruger.

I am beginning to feel like everytime I buy from Ruger I am contributing to the antis.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
The only good thing to use a Ruger firearm for is a boat anchor.

Jay
Arizona - 8 miles from a Ruger Factory
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is the REAL agenda.

Marking and tracing is one way of stemming the illicit trade in small arms,"       said Peter Batchelor, project director for a Small Arms Survey published Tuesday. "But it won't be possible to do this without enhanced police, law enforcement and customs efforts and information sharing by governments,"
                he added.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Do the ChiComs regularly mark their stuff with serial #s?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do the ChiComs regularly mark their stuff with serial #s?
View Quote

I'd bet they don't and won't!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
How the **ll am I supposed to buy a six shooter from, 8lackmarket manufactures? I wonder if history will look back and ackowledge a date as to when all gun owners became agressive rather than passive criminals?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
"Under the agreement, each country can decide on the exact system, but it must be an indelible marking at the point of manufacture, revealing the year of manufacture, the manufacturer and serial number. The records will be kept by the producers and be available to authorities through Interpol, according to the documents."

?????

It appears the only thing that has changed is that someone else gets a list of the serial numbers of the firearms produced.  As long as lists of names of those who purchased firearms isn't kept, this doesn't effect my RKBA or sense of privacy.  Of course that may be the next step.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Like I said in the other thread on this same topic, I thought we had a system for marking and tracing guns: SERIAL NUMBERS! What is the difference in what they want gunmakers to do now?
View Quote

I believe I said the same thing too. All that's changed is that they want them to add the year of manufacture to the serial number. Big deal! This information is already available. Basically what they are talking about is a standardized way of marking firearms with serial numbers.
I can actually see some pros for prospective gunbuyers with such a system - if you know how to read such a serial number you'll know if the seller is lying about the age of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It appears the only thing that has changed is that someone else gets a list of the serial numbers of the firearms produced.  As long as lists of names of those who purchased firearms isn't kept, this doesn't effect my RKBA or sense of privacy.  Of course that may be the next step.
View Quote

The thing is that the manufacturer doesn't have lists of individuals who buy their products, unless they are dealers. We are a couple of steps removed from being on such a list.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
If everyone would read the whole thing, it requires nothing from the U.S. manufacturers because of what you said right there.
The United States already requires a marking and tracing system
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Rich in CM:
View Quote

I am going to have to stop buying Rugers. All of my handguns are made by Ruger.

I am beginning to feel like everytime I buy from Ruger I am contributing to the antis.
View Quote
Are you guys going to come down on Glock and Beretta just as hard?
Details were completed at the Paris meeting attended by senior executives from Sturm, Ruger; Glock, whose pistol is the best seller with U.S. police forces; Berretta Armaments Italy, which makes the second U.S. police favorite; and French armsmaker Verney-Carron.
View Quote
Who knows what other manufacturers are involved?
The source and the documents seen by AP did not say exactly how many arms manufacturers -- American or otherwise -- were participating in the initiative.
View Quote
Also, this thing does not require U.S. manufacturers to do anything different.
The United States already requires a marking and tracing system
View Quote
So, you have a thread started by someone who doesn't like Ruger.  Read the whole thing.  It is not like the S&W thing that actually required changes to be made.
Quoted:
The only good thing to use a Ruger firearm for is a boat anchor.

Jay
Arizona - 8 miles from a Ruger Factory
View Quote
Actually the P series pistols are damn good.  Dollar for dollar you can't beat them.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#19]
The problem I have with it is Gun manufacturers complying with more BS gun control no matter how simple.

This is just the first step.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Door Kicker:
The problem I have with it is Gun manufacturers complying with more BS gun control no matter how simple.

This is just the first step.
View Quote
The U.S. manufacturers don't have to do anything that is not already required of them by U.S. law.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]Actually the P series pistols are damn good. Dollar for dollar you can't beat them.[/b]

[left]yea they are. I had just sold a P89 ruger i did not like it, the slide start's to shoot loose after so many hundreds of rounds. when the rounds eject i got hit right in the eye's with them, and but last but not least they have horrible trigger's, way to long of pull.[/left]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top