Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2001 11:59:17 PM EDT
Ok, I need help...

My car is dead.  Transmission is dead, everything is dead dead dead.

I'm looking for a good car/truck, that will last me at least a good 5 years or so, until I finish college and pay off some loans.  Something that will take me from place to place, to the range, etc.

Trying to keep it under $4000 (all I have in the bank), and reliable at that.  Parts should be easy to come buy, maintenance costs low if possible.

Thanks everyone, you all are a big help on everything, from guns to cars to...well...I'll leave it at that.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok, I need help...

My car is dead.  Transmission is dead, everything is dead dead dead.

I'm looking for a good car/truck, that will last me at least a good 5 years or so, until I finish college and pay off some loans.  Something that will take me from place to place, to the range, etc.

Trying to keep it under $4000 (all I have in the bank), and reliable at that.  Parts should be easy to come buy, maintenance costs low if possible.

Thanks everyone, you all are a big help on everything, from guns to cars to...well...I'll leave it at that.

View Quote

The only auto in the world, out of all of them that has an average life of 21 years is the Volvo!

For the amount you want to spend, you can get an early 1990's or older 700 series turbo, or non turbo, with mileage ratings between 20 and 30+ MPG. The high MPG is the manual 5 speed, which has a low first gear for getup and go, and a tall overdrive!

Stick with the four banger 2.3 liter, if you like performance, this little bugger can make reliably 350 hp+. If you economy, this is the motor too!

They are easy to work on, and have many american parts, DANA 30 rear and other. They can be tuned to go 100,000 miles before the next tuneup.

I own a few, with one banger that does zero to 60 in just under 6 seconds with a 391:1 rear, and gets 27 MPG! These autos fit into any neighbourhood, and do not stand out.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture!

Out of all the autos I've owned through the years, including a BENZ, the Volvo is by far the best!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
May I suggest a Toyota SR-5 pickup, 1988 or earlier. You can even get 4WD in that price range.

You can find 'em with low mileage, but even if you don't, they last out to 300K (if taken care of)

They almost NEVER break, parts (new and used) are plentiful and cheap.

Mine is simply awesome.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I second Garandman's suggestion.  My everyday truck is an '86 4Runner, which is an SR5 with a shell and back seats.  The 22R & 22RE engines in these trucks are GREAT engines.  They are very easy to work on, and parts are readily available.  I just rebuilt my top end with a new head 6 months ago (MY fault, NOT the truck's that it needed a new head) and have 163,000 miles with many to go if ya ask me.  Great trucks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
My friend a couple months ago was in the same situation. He found a '97 Ranger 2wd with the 4 banger. It has 117K miles on it, all highway. But is in incredible condition.  I believe he got it for $4200 or so.  Nice little truck and has been very reliable in the past five or six months he has had it and he drives all over the place.  IM sure you could find one with less miles for a good price. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The only auto in the world, out of all of them that has an average life of 21 years is the Volvo!

Stick with the four banger 2.3 liter, if you like performance, this little bugger can make reliably 350 hp+.
!
View Quote

Yeah, with maybe $50K in modifications.

350 HP is almost HALF of what the Indy cars run (8-900 HP.)

How big was that fish you caught????

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#7]
A few cheapos I would consider:

A used Chevy Lumina sedan.  These have the famous 3.8 6-cyl engine which is a good one.  Along these lines any GM with a 3.8 could be good--LeSabre, old Park Avenue, etc.

A used Dodge Caravan.  The manual transmission models with the 4-cyl. engines were good.  A lot of their auto transmissions, and the 3.0 Mitsubishi engines were not reliable (unless rebuilt, then they are fine).

An old Subaru from ther 1980s.  These are great cars, with a strong 4-cyl engine and manual transmission.  Parts are really expensive if they break, but quite a few of them can be easily replaced by you.  Brakes can be a weak area of these cars (caliper cylindersgo bad, Subaru sells rebuild kits for them).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#8]
For the money, toyota wins hands down. I have many customers who have over 100, 200 and 300 thousand miles on them. all it really takes is good general maintainence and CHANGE THE DAMN OIL regularly.
I have worked for toyota for over 15 years and the advice garandman and others gave is right on.
I regularly see 4x4's and 4runners for 3000 to 4000 in real good condition. my suggestion would be to take your time and find a good one and then have it checked out before buying.
hope you get a good one.
51 out...
[x]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]
SoCal, shoot me an e-mail. May have a line on something for you. (Didn't find an e-mail address for you.)
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick with the four banger 2.3 liter, if you like performance, this little bugger can make reliably 350 hp+.
!
View Quote

Yeah, with maybe $50K in modifications.

350 HP is almost HALF of what the Indy cars run (8-900 HP.)

How big was that fish you caught????

[rolleyes]

View Quote

Ok fine, be a smart ass know it all, and do not take my word for it, and surely a lot less then $50k go to the following site search mods, and learn [url]www.turbobricks.org/index2.html
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#11]
kato4moto, message me at
[email protected]

Thanks guys for all the help.

I think I might try the Toyota route, any particular things I should look for in them? Any years, models I should look out for?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok fine, be a smart ass know it all, and do not take my word for it, and surely a lot less then $50k
View Quote

Oh, kwit yer whinin'. You was talking out your anus, and got busted for it.

Take it like a man  [spank]

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think I might try the Toyota route, any particular things I should look for in them? Any years, models I should look out for?

Thanks again!
View Quote

Any year 83-88 is a good year.

Look for the extra cab. I might not look like much additional room, but I'm wishin' mine had it.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Toyota 4Runner or SR5.
I am very pleased with my 4Runner.

I was convinced after I met a few people with
2-300K mile Toy's.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey SoCal,
What type of car do you have. If it's foreign as in Japanese, your in luck! Being in southern California you can get imported engines and transmissions for [b]dirt cheap[/b]. I have a 89 Honda Civic that has taken a licken and kept on tickin'. I was able to get a Japanese engine for less than $375 from a company in Pico Rivera. Runs like a champ. I run the heck out of this poor little car, I figure If I blow the engine I'll throw in another. I can't afford not too. Very good on gas.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I second the vote on the Volvo.

I have a 1988 740GLE that I bought 4 years for $4000. It had 96,000 miles on it when I bought it. It's now up to 170,000 miles and is still as tight as it was when it came off the showroom floor.

These cars are tanks (they're the safest vehicles in on the road) and they don't break down. I put new rear brake pads on a few months ago - total cost $12.00 from Auto-Zone.

Used Volvos are probably the best value in the used car market and the great thing is that most of them come fully loaded.

By the way, if I was going to buy a truck, it would be a Toyota - but that's only because Volvo doesn't make pickups.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Tiger Stripe:
I second the vote on the Volvo.

I have a 1988 740GLE that I bought 4 years for $4000. It had 96,000 miles on it when I bought it. It's now up to 170,000 miles and is still as tight as it was when it came off the showroom floor.

These cars are tanks (they're the safest vehicles in on the road) and they don't break down. I put new rear brake pads on a few months ago - total cost $12.00 from Auto-Zone.

Used Volvos are probably the best value in the used car market and the great thing is that most of them come fully loaded.

By the way, if I was going to buy a truck, it would be a Toyota - but that's only because Volvo doesn't make pickups.
View Quote

They are great autos, but beware, of overpaying for parts! Example: I needed a blower motor, Volvo wanted $170., NAPA wanted $75., so knowing the blower was the same a the chevy impala one, I bought it for only $16. at NAPA!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:53:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll have to echo the sentiments on Volvo.  I own a 1987 760 turbo.  It has 298,000+ miles on it.  I bought it 5 years ago with 246,000 miles on it for $2300.  Total repair costs over the five years have been about $2500 (new struts, tires, engine wiring harness, a timing belt, and odds and ends).  I have put two quarts (yes, TWO QUARTS) of oil in it during that five years.  I had a leaking front engine seal (fixed when the timing belt was changed) that required me to add oil to it.  I change oil every 3K miles, so maybe it looses some between changes and I just don't know.  After nearly 300,000 miles, it burns no oil, no smoke, starts first turn of the key EVERY TIME.  

I've owned two other Volvos (a 240 wagon and a 240 sedan) so keeping a Volvo in shape is nothing new to me.  There's alot of ins and outs to avoid parts and labor costs.  Once you figure it out though, it's a very cost effective car.  

I vote for Volvo, but other's to look at are Honda and Toyota.  

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top