BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2005 12:44:40 PM EDT

Discuss.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
F350? Can you get it from the factory with the .50?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that just a chopped up Ferd???

Egads. I hope they got it with the employee discount.  

That thing reminds me of a technical.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it may be Irish, although the F-350 is becoming a more popular military vehicle in most parts of the Brit Commonwealth and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea they look like brits....check the last photo on the left part of the tail gate, it's got smoke canisters.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
That'll be part of a Ford ad campaign soon enough.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Them are Ford Body panels. And you can see the F350 badge in the first shot.

Don't the Rangers use Defenders?

Yeah, this should be a Ford Campaign.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
How is it better than the Humvee?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
AIR$OFT!!!  
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Cheaper?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
If anyone wants to convert their own rig, I'd be happy to build the cage/MG mount!
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Probably a lot cheaper, and easier and cheaper to maintain.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Cheaper.
Lighter.
More Powerful.

The Humvee was built to a specific design criteria meant to meet a series of demands.
Not everyone needs to fill all of those needs, and sometimes the added liabilities outweigh the un-needed abilities.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#15]
 It blows my mind that Jeep hasn't gotten in on this.  A well set up TJ or Unlimited is a small profile vehicle that would be sweet in urban or mountainous areas.  It has a much narrower profile than a hummer and with the current 4.0 and the 6 speed German tranny it's got more than enough oomph to cart around a Ma Duece and a 240 Bravo and two or three troops.

Could always drop in a nice 8 banger, too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I kow it is an F350.  I was commenting on who modded it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 It blows my mind that Jeep hasn't gotten in on this.  A well set up TJ or Unlimited is a small profile vehicle that would be sweet in urban or mountainous areas.  It has a much narrower profile than a hummer and with the current 4.0 and the 6 speed German tranny it's got more than enough oomph to cart around a Ma Duece and a 240 Bravo and two or three troops.

I'm waiting on a diesel jeep.  CRD 2.5, anyone?  Also, I think the Egyptians were behind the Unlimited.  Something to drag soldiers around the desert with.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Or a Liberty even!!!

(kidding, oooooooonly kidding...)  
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm waiting on a diesel jeep.  CRD 2.5, anyone?

mmmm.....CRD Rubicon.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheaper.
Lighter.
More Powerful.

The Humvee was built to a specific design criteria meant to meet a series of demands.
Not everyone needs to fill all of those needs, and sometimes the added liabilities outweigh the un-needed abilities.

You must be a jeep guy I can see your already down on the hummer
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheaper.
Lighter.
More Powerful.

I'm not a jeep guy, but which of my points was invalid?
The 350 weighs about a ton, 5000lbs compared to 7-8000 for the hummer, less.
The figure I heard for the military to purchase a Humvee was 35k. Ford stickers the 350 at 24-45K. Think .gov could manage a price break?
I can look up the engine specs if I must, but a Turbo charged 6 cylinder verses an 8. I'd be surprised if the Hummer had anything on the Ford. And besides, isn't Hummer dropping in an 8 on the Alpha? Think there might be a reason for that?
I wasn't dissing the Hummer, it's just that it can be overkill for some missions. The Rangers and the Marines, and SEALs all have 4wd vehicles other than the Hummer. It ain't because they are Jeep guys.

ETA: I wouldn't turn my nose up at an H1, but for what they cost, I'd rather have the International. Not that either would fit in my driveway.
I wouldn't touch an H2 even if it were given to me free. Well, maybe a hot lap.
The H3 looks promising, but I don't know much about them yet.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheaper.
Lighter.
More Powerful.

I'm not a jeep guy, but which of my points was invalid?
The 350 weighs about a ton, 5000lbs compared to 7-8000 for the hummer, less.
The figure I heard for the military to purchase a Humvee was 35k. Ford stickers the 350 at 25-35K. Think .gov could manage a price break?
I can look up the engine specs if I must, but a Turbo charged 6 cylinder verses an 8. I'd be surprised if the Hummer had anything on the Ford. And besides, isn't Hummer dropping in an 8 on the Alpha? Think there might be a reason for that?

I wasn't dissing the Hummer, it's just that it can be overkill for some missions. The Rangers and the Marines, and SEALs all have 4wd vehicles other than the Hummer. It ain't because they are Jeep guys.

ETA: I wouldn't turn my nose up at an H1, but for what they cost, I'd rather have the International. Not that either would fit in my driveway.
I wouldn't touch an H2 even if it were given to me free. Well, maybe a hot lap.
The H3 looks promising, but I don't know much about them yet.

Who's got the turbo 6?  The Ford?  Surely not the HMMWV.  It's running a 6.2L Diesel V8 and there are some versions with an upgraded 6.5L Diesel V8.  It's not a horsepower engine, but I've towed M119 artillery and a lot of other stuff with it.  Plenty of torque.

As you stated, there are plenty of jobs that don't require a HMMWV, but turning a pickup into a gun truck is the opposite direction.  The COMBATT program looked at replacing the HMMWV with a Ford/Dodge for utility reasons, not as a combat platform.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Ooops, maybe I shoulda looked up the specs. I thought the Hummer had a 6.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It only accelerates like a 6.  
Still got plenty of torque, though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Good ole GM 6.5l Turbo-Diesel technology.

What is it, like 190hp and 400tq?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It only accelerates like a 6.  
Still got plenty of torque, though.

That's what diesel engines are for, torque.
I know HP isn't the proper comparison. I should've used a different word.

I see too, where I made my mistake, it's a 6.5 liter engine.
But it does have a turbo.

The standard engine is a 6.5L turbodiesel. For a few years, a 350 (cubic inch) gasoline engine was available, but it was discontinued as of 1997. 6.2L and 6.5L normally-aspirated (non-turbo) diesel engines were available in earlier models. The new Alpha version is equipped with a Duramax diesel engine.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Irish are so damn lucky, i want one of those things for rabbit hunting.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Thats it. I am cutting up my buddies 350 diesel-dually. I am sure he wont mind
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good ole GM 6.5l Turbo-Diesel technology.

What is it, like 190hp and 400tq?

6.0L Power Choke Turbo Diesel
325HP@3300 RPM
570lb.-ft@2000 RPM

The Duramax should have similar numbers, no?
But I don't think .mil uses it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Irish are so damn lucky, i want one of those things for rabbit hunting.

Ford is giving the employee discount to everyone.
Order an '06.
Are they still giving away Home Depot stuff, I wonder? You could get a sawzall and a welder while you are at it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I just posted this on another board...

SEVERE OFF ROAD VEHICLE (SORV)
also known as the COMBATT F350

link to article

Ford Pickups Go To War in Afghanistan
by James Dunnigan
April 6, 2005
Discussion Board on this DLS topic
The Afghan army is being equipped with some 5,000 Ford F 350 SORV (Severe off road vehicle) pickup trucks. These four wheel drive vehicles are based on Fords F 250/350 commercial pick up, which has been the best selling line of pickup trucks in the U.S. since the 1980s. The Afghan army trucks are being built in a Ford factory in Thailand. The SORV is being provided in five variants, (cargo, emergency response, personnel/tactical and personnel/command trucks, maintenance van). The SORV truck comes with a diesel engines (about 300 horsepower). Costing about $40,000 each, the 4.5 ton vehicle can carry about two tons of personnel and cargo, and tow up to eight tons. It has a 38 gallon fuel tank. Depending on the version, the SORV can seat up to eleven people. Afghans are accustomed to cramming as many people as they can into pickups and SUVs. The Afghans will probably also mount weapons on some of the SORVs, and give these vehicles a workout that Ford engineers never imagined.

Many armed forces, especially those on a low budget, use commercial vehicles, particularly the Ford F-250/350. The Irish army uses SORVs for recon units. In Afghanistan, the Ford, and other pickups, are very popular (especially if they are four wheel drive). Equipping the Afghans with the SORVs, instead of hummers, means the Afghans will get familiar vehicles at less than half the price of the hummer.

pics..

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Those particular pictures are of the recently delivered Ford F350 SOVs as used by the Army Ranger Wing of the Irish Army. (Equivalent to the SAS)

They have a long tradition of cutting down vehicles and mounting god-knows-what on them. I used to have a bigger picture of this one, but the one vehicle has the .50 cal, three 7.62mm MGs, an 84mm Recoilles Rifle, and all the individual small arms and sidearms.

NTM
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Acceleration does matter in a combat vehicle. From a dead stop to about 425 yards, an unloaded Hummer will take about 20-21 seconds, and an F350 about 17. Considering that 425 yards may well be the distance that Hadji can make hits to with his AK, that 3-4 seconds starts to sound pretty good. Also, the GM 6.2L diesel is a crime against consumers, and the 6.5L is only slightly better. When I see a HMMWV with an Allison 5 speed and a 6.6L Isuzu, I'll be a little happier with the platform.

Also, for some lame ass reason the military mandated that the HMMWV not be sold to civilians, at least not in any setup that is similar to an issue vehicle. Now they want a commercial platform, because they are tired of paying for the R&D on new or improved parts, and tired of buying custom made stuff when they could call a four wheel shop ship it to them in a pinch. They also do not surplus Hummers, excluding 800 or so that the USMC traded for some utilities work in the late 1980s. A commercial based vehicle would be a huge hit at DRMO auctions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Also, for some lame ass reason the military mandated that the HMMWV not be sold to civilians, at least not in any setup that is similar to an issue vehicle.

the military, or DOT?
I've always understood the reason the MUTT and HMMWV were not available to civilians was that they did not have all of the required safety features.
As far as civy models of the H1. It'd be nice to see a true sportsmans truck, at a reasonable price. I thin it'd cut too much into the market for the high end vehicles. Not to mention the H2 and H3.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#35]
The F350 platform is a hell of a tough rig.   I'm sure it'll out tow the hummer and it's top speed will be significantly higher.   It definitely would not have the offroad prowess but that's overrated in most areas anyhow.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Is that just a chopped up Ferd???

Egads. I hope they got it with the employee discount.  

That thing reminds me of a technical.

They need to ditch the ugly camo & paint it red with a snake airbrushed on the side....

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd love to see one with a twin mini gun setup
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, for some lame ass reason the military mandated that the HMMWV not be sold to civilians, at least not in any setup that is similar to an issue vehicle.

the military, or DOT?
I've always understood the reason the MUTT and HMMWV were not available to civilians was that they did not have all of the required safety features.
As far as civy models of the H1. It'd be nice to see a true sportsmans truck, at a reasonable price. I thin it'd cut too much into the market for the high end vehicles. Not to mention the H2 and H3.

DOT will not permit them to be sold to civilians, but to my understanding the military is not interested in retrofitting safety systems, allowing them to be retrofitted, or selling the vehicles as "off-road" only. I suspect they just don't want HMMWVs to be available to NGOs and private citizens. I have also heard that GM is prohibited from selling close copies of the military HMMWV to civilians, hence the $100k+ price tag of the H1. Although that information is a little more shaky (been a while and I can't remember where I heard that).
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yea they look like brits....check the last photo on the left part of the tail gate, it's got smoke canisters.

Definately not British....wrong type of camo.

Mark
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The F350 platform is a hell of a tough rig.   I'm sure it'll out tow the hummer and it's top speed will be significantly higher.   It definitely would not have the offroad prowess but that's overrated in most areas anyhow.  

For the price difference between a superduty and a Hummer, you can outfit the Ford with enough stuff to let it run circles around the Hummer, on road and off road, and still have money to spare.

I always thought the reason the Military got away from the Jeep was due to vehicle profile, the Hummer being lower to the ground because of the independant suspension vs the solid axles of the Jeep.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like something from the War Against the Machines. I LIKE it
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Isn't that the Australian SAS one?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I always thought the reason the Military got away from the Jeep was due to vehicle profile, the Hummer being lower to the ground because of the independant suspension vs the solid axles of the Jeep.

Huh?
Anybody got a better picture of a jeep sitting next to a hummer?

Seems to me the M151 has a smaller profile than the hummer. Maybe I'm missing something.
And as far as the suspension on the hummer, it'd done to proved more ground clearence than solid axles.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#44]
the HMMWV's are getting new engines... The H1 Alphas now have 6.6L Duramax V8 diesels making 300 hp and 520 ft-lb of torque.

Where did you get the pics of the COMBATT and where were they taken?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm waiting on a diesel jeep.  CRD 2.5, anyone?  Also, I think the Egyptians were behind the Unlimited.  Something to drag soldiers around the desert with.

Jeep has been building extend wheel base YJ's and TJ's for a while now, just not for the American market. There were some pics of two troop carrier YJ's spotted in Kuwait in one of the recent 4Wheel & Offroad mags.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Acceleration does matter in a combat vehicle. From a dead stop to about 425 yards, an unloaded Hummer will take about 20-21 seconds, and an F350 about 17. Considering that 425 yards may well be the distance that Hadji can make hits to with his AK, that 3-4 seconds starts to sound pretty good. Also, the GM 6.2L diesel is a crime against consumers, and the 6.5L is only slightly better. When I see a HMMWV with an Allison 5 speed and a 6.6L Isuzu, I'll be a little happier with the platform.

Also, for some lame ass reason the military mandated that the HMMWV not be sold to civilians, at least not in any setup that is similar to an issue vehicle. Now they want a commercial platform, because they are tired of paying for the R&D on new or improved parts, and tired of buying custom made stuff when they could call a four wheel shop ship it to them in a pinch. They also do not surplus Hummers, excluding 800 or so that the USMC traded for some utilities work in the late 1980s. A commercial based vehicle would be a huge hit at DRMO auctions.

Hummer H1 alpha: 6.6L Duramax Diesel, 300 hp and 520 ft-lb.
AMG has something in the works for the HMMWV.

I agree, the 6.2L V8 is a gutless POS engine, top speed on those HMMWVs were around 45 mph.
The N/A and even turbo 6.5 V8s are crap for performance.

The Ford 6.0L PSD is a big improvement but not big enough.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I think it may be Irish, although the F-350 is becoming a more popular military vehicle in most parts of the Brit Commonwealth and Afghanistan.

Not in Afghanistan.

Toyotas rule Afghanistan. The Fords will be a mistake here.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
the HMMWV's are getting new engines... The H1 Alphas now have 6.6L Duramax V8 diesels making 300 hp and 520 ft-lb of torque.

Where did you get the pics of the COMBATT and where were they taken?

They are upgrading the suspension as well. It helps with the armor upgrades.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just posted this on another board...
link to article

These four wheel drive vehicles are based on Fords F 250/350 commercial pick up, which has been the best selling line of pickup trucks in the U.S. since the 1980s. The Afghan army trucks are being built in a Ford factory in Thailand.
pics..

Buy American huh?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in Afghanistan.

Toyotas rule Afghanistan. The Fords will be a mistake here.

Weight issue?  I guarantee it's not a build quality issue.   The ford chassis will be fine long after the yota is twisted and broken.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top