Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2001 5:48:42 PM EDT
I was at pistol fun night tonight at the club.
A glock shooter was on the pins is trying out remington golden saber 9mm +P.
Out of a box of 50 TWO fail to fire. These were solid primer hits, saw the primers up close when he showed them to me.
TWO failed!
The box was in good shape. This was not trunk ammo, he bought it new and was trying it out.
He also shot a box of federal personal defense. It all worked.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had that happen once to me with a round of Federal .40 S&W 155gr. Hydra Shok. I mailed the whole box of ammo back to Federal along with a letter explaining what had happened (I also asked that the box of ammo be replaced). I was happy to find that Federal not only sent me a new box of Hydra-Shok and 200 rounds (4 boxes) of their American Eagle .40 S&W FMJ as well. I would expect Remington to so something like that as well.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth, a customer of my company is a retired armorer from the state police (SLED).  I got into a conversation with him one day on what type of handgun to buy.  He suggested a S&W revolver (despite his admitted disgust for their politics) before his first choice on an auto, a Glock, because SLED had so much trouble with the Remington ammo for autos.  He said he had only seen a few squib loads (no powder) in Remington 38 Special, but he had seen many (he didn't define) in Remington ammo for autos.  He said a few days during qualifying he spent more time hammering-out stuck bullets in the barrel of a Glock than he did teaching.  His theory was that Remington has more trouble with the auto ammo is because the rimmed ammo is made in an old plant with experienced personel, and the new(er) rimless ammo is made in a new plant with lower paid, less experienced workers.  Interesting theory.  Even though he had a Glock 9mm he was wanting to sell to buy a 1911 in 38 Super, he still suggested buying the revolver.  He must feel strongly about it.

Happyshooter, those guys were lucky the rounds simply didn't fire.  I don't like the idea of having to hammer a bullet out of my weapon.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard similar problems with Remington Primers. However, their Golden Sabre line of ammo is pretty darn reliable. You got a bad production lot. Ship the rounds back to Remington along with the boxes. Every ammo manufacturer has their issues with certain rounds.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting; I've never had trouble with Remington.  Actually, I swear by that yellow-box Remington UMC .223 for my AR.  I've never had any problems with it, and it's so inexpensive around here...

Mike
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah same here as far as the UMC goes, I've never had any problems with it and that Golden Sabre stuff is supposed to be one of their Top of the Line loads, so I'm not sure what to think
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never had a problem with Remington UMC ammo, but I have had a problem with some PMC stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top